April 25, 2019, 03:29:44 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 209979 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
My logical brain is having a meltdown at the moment
*does... not... compute... *

The worst part is I just today noticed the topic header is at the top of each individual post. Guess I'd gotten so used to it I blocked it out.
Haha yeah, I completely blanked that aswell  :-[
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:55 AM »
Wow you're even worse than me ;D I usually also have a few tabs open, but it's only one for each site hehe
Yeah I open all the unread posts at once, each in their own tab. Far more efficient that way...
I do the same. :)

All the no's in the world.   I have to do one at a time to keep up with the conversation.   I wonder if their is a correlation between multiple tabs of the same site & reading multiple books at once (which I cannot do).

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2015, 03:11:25 AM »
Wow you're even worse than me ;D I usually also have a few tabs open, but it's only one for each site hehe
Yeah I open all the unread posts at once, each in their own tab. Far more efficient that way...

All the no's in the world.   I have to do one at a time to keep up with the conversation.   I wonder if their is a correlation between multiple tabs of the same site & reading multiple books at once (which I cannot do).
I don't do that, so it's definitely not the same for everyone  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2015, 03:15:20 AM »

Thanks for killing my theory in the first post!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2015, 03:17:38 AM »

Thanks for killing my theory in the first post!
You're welcome!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
So, I don't do multiple tabs unless I'm trying to reference once thread in another.

What I do do is obsessively click on the "Shows posts since your last visit," and then go back to that screen after I've read each post. If I get no results at some point, I click where it says something like "Click here to try all unread topics" in the center of the screen. And if that's empty, I despair.

Meanwhile, it does drive me crazy that if I open the "Show unread posts" screen on my iPad and then on my laptop, it will come up empty on the laptop. Forcing me to click on the "Try all unread topics", which is just not right.

And I do have multiple books going at all times.  ;) ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
Meanwhile, it does drive me crazy that if I open the "Show unread posts" screen on my iPad and then on my laptop, it will come up empty on the laptop. Forcing me to click on the "Try all unread topics", which is just not right.
Same here with my phone and tapatalk...  >:(
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 26, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »
What I do do is obsessively click on the "Shows posts since your last visit," and then go back to that screen after I've read each post. If I get no results at some point, I click where it says something like "Click here to try all unread topics" in the center of the screen. And if that's empty, I despair.

Phew. Glad I'm not the only one. This has almost become a ritual whenever I take a moment to think. The show unread posts button is probably as worn down as my (Ctrl + S) keys [You have to smash the button at least twenty times before it will save, right?].

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
I just follow the red signs...
You know, red, scarlet, all good 8)

(there are a couple of sections I don't normally read)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
So, Gariath and Doctor Chill seem to be in competition with each other for the Most Like Button Spamming Person award. Just look at the "Like-section" of the recent posts on this topic. On the other hand, they might just be very easy to please.  ;D

EDIT: Yeah, I should have read the thread dealing with this rivalry of "churches" better before posting, but I didn't realize that it had THREE PAGES OF POSTS SINCE I LAST CHECKED (which was yesterday). Damn you all!!!  :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:46:34 AM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
So, Gariath and Doctor Chill seem to be in competition with each other for the Most Like Button Spamming Person award. Just look at the "Like-section" of the recent posts on this topic. On the other hand, they might just be very easy to please.  ;D

EDIT: Yeah, I should have read the thread dealing with this rivalry of "churches" better before posting, but I didn't realize that it had THREE PAGES OF POSTS SINCE I LAST CHECKED (which was yesterday). Damn you all!!!  :P
8)

Offline Justan Henner

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »

No no, the Church of Gariath does all the damning.  :)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
I'm wondering, do the Likes given by Justan and Raptori increase Gariath's Like total, since they all are part of the same unholy trinity?
 ;)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2015, 10:44:38 AM »
Just saw this - literal translations of finnish words into english.  8)

Offline Justan Henner

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
The real question here is how we English speakers missed breast vest. The rhyming makes it so classy.