September 22, 2019, 07:27:25 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 237629 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2015, 04:40:13 AM »

Yeah you Aussies don't get off the hook for it either  :P

I'd never mistake an aussie rules pitch for a rugby pitch though, don't understand how that's possible. It's like mistaking a cricket pitch for a tennis court  :o
It's not the pitch, it's the entire sport that they get mixed up. Robin Williams did this monologue about Australian Rules, it was very funny, but to anybody who knows anything about Australian Rules it's quite obvious that what he was referring to was rugby, only he kept calling it Australian Football. Rugby rules in NSW and a good part of Queensland, but the rest of the country are Aussie Rules followers. We call rugby cross country wrestling.
Yeah I know, but the difference in the pitch is so obvious that I don't get how the two can be mistaken for each other  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »

I'd never mistake an aussie rules pitch for a rugby pitch though, don't understand how that's possible. It's like mistaking a cricket pitch for a tennis court  :o
It's not the pitch, it's the entire sport that they get mixed up. Robin Williams did this monologue about Australian Rules, it was very funny, but to anybody who knows anything about Australian Rules it's quite obvious that what he was referring to was rugby, only he kept calling it Australian Football. Rugby rules in NSW and a good part of Queensland, but the rest of the country are Aussie Rules followers. We call rugby cross country wrestling.
Yeah I know, but the difference in the pitch is so obvious that I don't get how the two can be mistaken for each other  :P
If no one's ever seen the game it's hard for them to envisage the pitches. I believe Americans refer to it as the 'game without pads', which could explain why the confuse the two. I did find it quite amusing when Darren Bennet became a kicker for San Diego, and I heard these commentators say that he'd probably never played in front of crowds numbering in the 40 - 50,000's. Bennet used to play for Melbourne, at the MCG, the G holds 100,000, and while they didn't play in a Grand Final during Bennet's time there, they did host some big matches which would have gotten far in excess of 50,000 to watch.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2015, 06:07:57 AM »

If no one's ever seen the game it's hard for them to envisage the pitches. I believe Americans refer to it as the 'game without pads', which could explain why the confuse the two. I did find it quite amusing when Darren Bennet became a kicker for San Diego, and I heard these commentators say that he'd probably never played in front of crowds numbering in the 40 - 50,000's. Bennet used to play for Melbourne, at the MCG, the G holds 100,000, and while they didn't play in a Grand Final during Bennet's time there, they did host some big matches which would have gotten far in excess of 50,000 to watch.
Ahh, I assumed we were talking about people who had either seen it being played or had some basic knowledge about it (which would naturally include the differences between aussie rules and other superficially similar games) - other people are just being ignorant  :P

Lol yeah, sounds like another example of Americans (or at least American media) being dismissive of anything that happens outside the US  :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »

Ahh, I assumed we were talking about people who had either seen it being played or had some basic knowledge about it (which would naturally include the differences between aussie rules and other superficially similar games) - other people are just being ignorant  :P

Lol yeah, sounds like another example of Americans (or at least American media) being dismissive of anything that happens outside the US  :D
I'm often reminded of a website called Satire Wire which used to publish faux news articles (similar to The Onion) and in one update they ran an 'advertisement' for an internet filter that removed any content that wasn't USA centric. The next update they had to explain that it wasn't real, and they were a satirical website, because they'd had so many requests for it. They seemed to find that sad, rather than amusing. The ruby supporters here like to make fun of our game by calling it Aerial Ping Pong.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2015, 07:06:08 AM »

The R is rolled so some people transcript it as L.
I believe that in Japanese R and L are allophones. So, they are considered to be two variants of same phoneme. So, R can be pronounced L, and vice versa.

Well... I wouldn't know. There are no R and no L in the systems. Hiraganas and katanas only offer "n" besides the basic whatever-the-English-word-is for a, i, u, e, o.
I was never taught anything on that matter, besides the expected pronunciation of the characters that we write as "ra ri ru re ro"
I meant that the sounds are  interchangeable, but I wouldn't really know either, since I have never had any formal education in phonetics or Japanese. I should add some sort of disclaimer to everything I write so that people don't actually think that I know what I am talking about.  ;D

In fact, I think I add one to my signature as soon as I finish writing this.

Finnish has logical spelling, so any given combination of letters is always pronounced in the same way.

To nitpick a little, that's not exactly how it is. Yes, Finnish is very regular with its spelling and pronunciation. BUT, there are exceptions.

Quick examples:
Sentence Tule pian (come soon) is pronounced more like Tulep pian (unless the speaker purposefully pauses between the words).
Then there is hauista. When you pronounce it, you can "hyphenate" it like hau-ista (from pikes), from root hauki (pike), or like ha-uista (from searches/lookups), from root haku (search/lookup).

Of course, there are more exceptions, but I'm too tired list all of them.  ;D
These exceptions are phonemic in nature but most of the time they are really hard to spot.
Very interesting! I still think that they are far rarer in Finnish than in English - in English there are hundreds of them, whereas in Finnish it's usually safe to read phonetically  :P
Yeah, they are very rare compared to English (or to many other languages) and usually not that noticeable. But, some of them might confuse non-natives, I think.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
I'm often reminded of a website called Satire Wire which used to publish faux news articles (similar to The Onion) and in one update they ran an 'advertisement' for an internet filter that removed any content that wasn't USA centric. The next update they had to explain that it wasn't real, and they were a satirical website, because they'd had so many requests for it. They seemed to find that sad, rather than amusing. The ruby supporters here like to make fun of our game by calling it Aerial Ping Pong.
Haha I'm not surprised - I wouldn't mind the reverse!  :P

Lol that's a bit of an odd one. We call American football "hand-and-occasionally-foot-egg" to piss off our American friends though, so I guess I can't talk...  :D

Yeah, they are very rare compared to English (or to many other languages) and usually not that noticeable. But, some of them might confuse non-natives, I think.
Yeah, definitely. Some bits and pieces of Finnish are truly awesome.

"Juoksentelisinkohan" = "I wonder if I should run around aimlessly?"

"Aamupalaverihuone" = either "Morning meeting room" or "Breakfast blood room" (depending on where the sub-word splits are)

"Vihdoin vihdoin vihdoin" = "I finally whipped myself with a birch branch"

"Kuusi palaa" = "The spruce is on fire", "The spruce is returning", "The number six is on fire", "The number six is returning", "Six of them are on fire", "Six of them are returning", "Your moon is on fire", "Your moon is returning", or "Six pieces"

Finnish sayings are crazy too. My favourite being "Fits like a fist in the eye".

;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:47:45 AM by Raptori »

Offline Shimrod

« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
"Aamupalaverihuone" = either "Morning meeting room" or "Breakfast blood room" (depending on where the sub-word splits are)

Breakfast blood room?

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »

Breakfast blood room?
That's the joke - you could write "I'll see you in the morning meeting room", and depending on how the person interprets it, they might read it as "I'll see you in the breakfast blood room"  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »
Last time I was over here I remember posting how I was pleasantly surprised about translated fantasy books in the main Portuguese bookshops.
I now retract that thought.
It's awful, at least it's my assumption from the covers - 90% names I don't recognise... Could it be mostly urban fantasy?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Yora

« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
Finnish sayings are crazy too. My favourite being "Fits like a fist in the eye".
That's Finish? I always thought that was a traditional German saying.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »
That's Finish? I always thought that was a traditional German saying.
Could easily be both  :)

Offline Yora

« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
We should make a thread about these, there's tonnes of wonderful ones from all around the world.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »

Lol that's a bit of an odd one. We call American football "hand-and-occasionally-foot-egg" to piss off our American friends though, so I guess I can't talk...  :D

Aussie Rules has gained a foothold elsewhere. They seem to like it in Japan oddly enough, and New Zealand of course, although they still love their rugby (union then league in that order), there's a league made up of expats in the US, and one in the UK. I have a cousin who played a few seasons of AFL and played in England for a while when he was over there working and studying.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2015, 11:52:32 PM »
Aussie Rules has gained a foothold elsewhere. They seem to like it in Japan oddly enough, and New Zealand of course, although they still love their rugby (union then league in that order), there's a league made up of expats in the US, and one in the UK. I have a cousin who played a few seasons of AFL and played in England for a while when he was over there working and studying.
I'm not surprised, people like to do crazy things  :P

Actually I remember being surprised when one of my friends at school joined an American football team that played in a local league... had no idea that it was even close to being popular enough for leagues to form. The number of people in the world is insane, so it shouldn't be a surprise when there are a load of people with the same (relatively) niche interests all over the place.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2015, 12:24:31 AM »
I'm not surprised, people like to do crazy things  :P

Actually I remember being surprised when one of my friends at school joined an American football team that played in a local league... had no idea that it was even close to being popular enough for leagues to form. The number of people in the world is insane, so it shouldn't be a surprise when there are a load of people with the same (relatively) niche interests all over the place.
Oh there's a World NFL league. It's fairly big, too. It's how a few players who eventually transition into the NFL in the States start their careers. I think the aforementioned Darren Bennet may have played for one of the teams in the World League prior to taking over kicking duties for San Diego. They quite often get world class sprinters to play for NFL teams. Carl Lewis was offered a spot and declined on the grounds that he made more money out of athletics, and I believe a gold medallist for one of the US Olympic teams already had an NFL contract when he won the medal, so that was really just gravy for him. NZ rugby legend Jonah Lomu was also seriously looked at by the NFL and two other Aussie Rules players Ben Graham (Geelong) and Saverio Rocca (Collingwood and North Melbourne) had decent careers as kickers in the NFL after they finished their AFL careers. That's one thing I find lacking in fantasy at times, mention of sport. It may be why I swim against the stream in really liking the Quidditch sequences in Harry Potter.