September 20, 2019, 11:02:06 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 237492 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »
I don't think Americans should be trusted with the responsibility for naming... anything. I mean come on, who would call a game where you hold an egg-shaped object in your hands and run with it "football", when the rest of the population of the world already play an older and far more popular game with the same name...  :o

Which happens to be played with a ball and foot.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Australians have a different kind of football too tho? And Irishmen have gaelic games.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:21 AM »
And the French don't name anything in English except "french fries" and "french kissing". What's up with that?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »
Except the Americans named fries French because they thought Belgians were French.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
No you have it all wrong. It's Belgian Waffles, not Belgian Fries. What would those be?
Back to France, there's also French toast and French bread.
Belgium? Other than waffles? Nada  just sayin'
Meanwhile the Iinternet came up with French Military Victories ( I assume you've all tried this? Google French military victories and click on French military defeats? Yeah, you've all gone there.)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
Meanwhile, and this goes back the @HenryDale's post in another thread, but is a propos here:

In German, a carillon is also called a Glockenspiel; while the percussion instrument called a "glockenspiel" by English speakers is often called a carillon in French.

Can't we all just learn to get along?!
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »
Never ^^

Belgians invented fries and french stole it -.-
As for things Belgian you forgot some minor things:
Belgian beer, belgian chocolate, brussels sprouts, witlof, belgian comics, belgian surrealism,...

This year is not only the commemoration of ww1, it is also the celebration of the battle of waterloo! Talk about French defeats (on Belgian soil :p)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
Wowowowow.

Let's get this straight. We French took the fries from you Belgians Yes. But we call them simply "frittes" and we all know that they are from Belgium. I still remember, at 13yo on my first an only school trip to England. On the ferry my classmates commissioned me to order for them from the Burger King as I was the only one fluent enough. Yet I didn't know the word for fries! So I described the thing I wanted and the bloke goes "yeah. French fries?" - "no no! This there!" - "yeah French fries" - "what? Why french?!"
You're also renown for having great mussels.

@Jmacyk : French toast doesn't exist. Whatever your weird version is, it simply inspired from "pain perdu" - lost/wasted bread.
As for French bread? Please! It's called bread in general and then you have the hundred of options : campagne, baguette, baguette tradition, pain paysan, multi grain, ect ect ect!!!
I also recal your entire country once counting on a French Lafayette and French support huh! No speaking of French defeats!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:52 AM »
Total war :p

Anyway. Back to the carillon.
In Dutch it's called a beiaard after a legend.
More info:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_(legend)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »

More info:
There are amazing YouTube videos of carillon concerts. Henry, you have opened my ears!
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »

More info:
Just read of the legend   Aren't ancient stories wonderful. How does it connect to the carillon? I don't see that in the wiki article.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2015, 11:35:14 AM »
I'm actually going to say I prefer ruisleipä (Finnish rye bread) to baguettes. It's close though - I could eat an entire baguette on my own very easily. But there's a specific type of ruisleipä that is just incredible, specifically when toasted. The taste of smoked tofu sandwiches made with that bread... it makes me feel hungry even when I've just eaten a big meal.

Damnit I'm hungry now  >:(
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
There's an enormous bell in Belgium that depicted the legend and folks named it after the horse. Nowadays it's not ringing anymore due to being too heavy. It dates from the middle ages.
This or the origin is some old word that traces waaay back before that. Not as nice a story tho >.> call it preferable history.

@Raptori  I don't even know how to pronounce that...

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
There's an enormous bell in Belgium that depicted the legend and folks named it after the horse. Nowadays it's not ringing anymore due to being too heavy. It dates from the middle ages.
This or the origin is some old word that traces waaay back before that. Not as nice a story tho >.> call it preferable history.

Like this ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »

Like this ;)

Twists his tongue in this painful ordeal.
Jk ^^
It's weird tho. I'll have to ask my baker if he has some of that...that...ruisleipa thing (w/ever). Wonder if they sell it here?