February 23, 2019, 03:18:42 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 195935 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »
The Literary Beers and Kaffeeklatsches are great. There's usually limited spaces, so you have to get in early, especially with popular authors, they generally allow 10 people and 3 alternates, but most times if the alternate turns up the author has no issue with a  few extras sitting down at the table. In 2010 I was lucky enough to do one with George R.R Martin (this was before HBO screened Game of Thrones) and that was amazing. Oddly enough he wasn't a great fan of Tim Tams. At other cons I've done them with Paul Cornell, Scott Lynch (one of the greatest ever for me, and he even signed my battered old copy of The Lies of Locke Lamora with a dedication that I'm pretty sure no one else would ever get) and Cat Valente, and she is absolutely fascinating to talk to. Lejays17 did a few at Loncon as well, she really enjoyed sitting down with Gail Carriger and Emma Newman.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2015, 03:48:39 AM »
Nice! It must be so strange to meet your favourite authors as real live people instead of the forces of nature that create books  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:34 AM »
Nice! It must be so strange to meet your favourite authors as real live people instead of the forces of nature that create books  :P
Oh yeah, it's kind of trips. Scott Lynch told the funniest story. A girl encountered him at a recent con, and she was very nervous, so he tried to put her at ease by telling her that he was just like any normal person, puts his pants on one leg at a time, and then she started gushing at him about the Dresden Files! She thought he was Jim Butcher!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2015, 04:15:40 AM »
Oh yeah, it's kind of trips. Scott Lynch told the funniest story. A girl encountered him at a recent con, and she was very nervous, so he tried to put her at ease by telling her that he was just like any normal person, puts his pants on one leg at a time, and then she started gushing at him about the Dresden Files! She thought he was Jim Butcher!
Lol! I wonder if he told her that she had made a mistake, or just pretended she hadn't...  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2015, 05:23:57 AM »
Lol! I wonder if he told her that she had made a mistake, or just pretended she hadn't...  ;D
He initially wondered how she made it, because Jim is dark and Scott is fair, plus Scott's over 6 feet and according to him Jim is an 'ewok'. He told her, then she didn't believe him!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2015, 05:33:25 AM »
He initially wondered how she made it, because Jim is dark and Scott is fair, plus Scott's over 6 feet and according to him Jim is an 'ewok'. He told her, then she didn't believe him!
Haha that's even better! Crazy stuff  :D

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2015, 05:37:16 AM »
It was also rather amusing when Scott had his back to the room and we all burst out laughing because Pat Rothfuss was standing behind him, dancing about and making faces. As soon as Scott realised he chased Rothfuss across the room and threatened to shave his beard off!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2015, 05:58:24 AM »
Let's get this out of the way already.

Spoiler for Scones:

Spoiler for Biscuits:

Spoiler for Cookies:
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2015, 06:01:20 AM »
I see a muffin, then a scone and then a cookie.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2015, 06:03:27 AM »
This is a biscuit :

I think this might be where the problem lay, you took something American as a real thing :

Hides in a corner.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:08:19 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2015, 06:03:49 AM »

Yeah, I was having a real hard time finding a good scone picture that wasn't IN YOUR FACE BIG. Does look a lot like a muffin tbh, but the second is obviously a buttermilk biscuit.  :P

The above could very well be a cookie or a cracker.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2015, 06:04:15 AM »
You could also call the third one a chocolate chip biscuit.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2015, 06:05:33 AM »
And I better not even mention damper.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
Sorry I had struggles editing my post.

This first section on the use of the term is very enlightening.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

Americans just tried to look original by applying the term to soft sweet food.

But this : http://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

Should finish the debate. "Biscuits are a small dry type of cake" dixit the people who invented pastry, brandy, cooking and love making. And won every other international pastry competition.

*cowers in a bunker*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:34:45 AM by Nora »

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »
I don't think Americans should be trusted with the responsibility for naming... anything. I mean come on, who would call a game where you hold an egg-shaped object in your hands and run with it "football", when the rest of the population of the world already play an older and far more popular game with the same name...  :o