December 16, 2019, 05:54:41 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 258896 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2015, 04:30:15 PM »
Oh right - I loved Helsinki when I visited, about 8 years ago. Lovely feel of small city, even though it's a capital.
 :)
Yeah it's great, the center is nice but the area we live in is even nicer. You can actually see our building on this:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
Oh right - I loved Helsinki when I visited, about 8 years ago. Lovely feel of small city, even though it's a capital.
Yeah it's great, the center is nice but the area we live in is even nicer. You can actually see our building on this:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't believe you. I see no evidence of twin pyramids or a spaceship for two-headed aliens. This is not your building, you don't live in Helsinki. This is all very clever misdirection about your true nature(s).
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't believe you. I see no evidence of twin pyramids or a spaceship for two-headed aliens. This is not your building, you don't live in Helsinki. This is all very clever misdirection about your true nature(s).

Weeell... there is this (a little to the left of that photo):

They even light it up from underneath at night. Think it's a restaurant. Totally not a cover or anything
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Weeell... there is this (a little to the left of that photo):

They even light it up from underneath at night. Think it's a restaurant. Totally not a cover or anything
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Raptori vehicle.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Raptori vehicle.
*RaptorSaur vehicle (my partner's nickname = Saurus).

We do actually call that "the alien ship" whenever we take a bus ride past it... and it looks awesome at night with the light. Might have to take a photo of it some time  :D

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »
I'm surprised @Elfy hasn't brought up biscuits yet... :P
Don't start the biccies V scones argument again, xiagan. Depending on where you live, depends on what the default fish you get at the fish and chip shop is. In Victoria it's generally flake, NSW tend to favour Blue Grenadier. My Dad worked with an English bloke once and he tried to order fish and chips. In England you can order fish and chips and they just have a set serve with a default fish, or at least they did when George moved over to Australia. Anyway George asked for fish and chips and the chap serving him kept asking what sort of fish and how many chips. George kept getting madder and madder, until eventually my Dad stepped in and said, "He'll have a piece of flake and 50 cents worth of chips*, thanks mate."

*back then 50 cents got you a lot of chips. Now it varies from shop to shop, but the minimum at my local is $4.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
I can't stay away from F-F hehe
A bit online now, and here I am again ;D

Oh, last week I had a great thing/present from Mark Lawrence - as well as an amazing writer, he's an amazing person :D
(not sure if I should share details hehe)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:16:23 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
I can't stay away from F-F hehe
A bit online now, and here I am again ;D

Oh, last week I had a great thing/present from Mark Lawrence - as well as an amazing writer, he's an amazing person :D
(not sure if I should share details hehe)
Oh, you can't tease and not deliver!  >:(  ;)
Or you will earn my first jmack smite  ;D

And welcome back  :-*
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
Thanks, but I'm not back, I'm still in Portugal until Saturday hehe
But my parents are doing other things and I popped over hehe

And sorry, nope ;D I might tell you later... if/when I have some time, since you're not going to be in the Grim Gathering ;)
(noooo no smiting!!!)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:42:02 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »
I want to know if @Raptori has anything to do with Helsinki's Worldcon bid? 2017 or is it 2016?

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »
I want to know if @Raptori has anything to do with Helsinki's Worldcon bid? 2017 or is it 2016?
Nope, nothing whatsoever - though maybe I should go since that would surely double the attendance, right?  :P

I noticed that there was one recently, about a year too late. Wasn't aware there was another one potentially coming up  :o

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2015, 12:35:35 AM »
Nope, nothing whatsoever - though maybe I should go since that would surely double the attendance, right?  :P

I noticed that there was one recently, about a year too late. Wasn't aware there was another one potentially coming up  :o
Helsinki is getting a fair bit of love. I personally wouldn't go, it's too far and probably a bit too costly, but people do travel for Worldcons. London had quite a few non Brit attendees (Lejays17 and I were two of them, although we did fit it in and around an England holiday). If you have one that you can get too (we were lucky enough to have one in Melbourne in 2010 and it allowed plenty of people to experience a Worldcon) then you should do it.  I think using somewhere like Helsinki is a good move. It's called Worldcon, not USAcon, for a reason.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2015, 03:56:49 AM »

Helsinki is getting a fair bit of love. I personally wouldn't go, it's too far and probably a bit too costly, but people do travel for Worldcons. London had quite a few non Brit attendees (Lejays17 and I were two of them, although we did fit it in and around an England holiday). If you have one that you can get too (we were lucky enough to have one in Melbourne in 2010 and it allowed plenty of people to experience a Worldcon) then you should do it.  I think using somewhere like Helsinki is a good move. It's called Worldcon, not USAcon, for a reason.
Yeah it does sound like it could be a lot of fun. And since it's in 2017 that gives us a bit of time to get some serious writing done :D

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2015, 04:11:59 AM »

Yeah it does sound like it could be a lot of fun. And since it's in 2017 that gives us a bit of time to get some serious writing done :D
You may get more than you think, too. It's not a total mob scene like the SDCC, but that allows you to see more and go on things like Literary Beers and Kaffeeklatsches.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2015, 05:33:18 AM »

You may get more than you think, too. It's not a total mob scene like the SDCC, but that allows you to see more and go on things like Literary Beers and Kaffeeklatsches.
Yeah, it being a bit smaller does have some advantages. Would be cool to chat with some favourite authors if they happen to attend... :)