December 11, 2019, 11:42:50 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 258274 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
Crisps are chips.  Chips are fries  ;D
My little sisters, who grew up in Australia, use those terms. Drives me up the wall.  >:(
We call them both chips down here. People generally know what you're talking about though. It's not like you can order potato chips with your flake at the fish and chip shop. Little by bit, though chips are being Americanised to fries.
Weird, wonder why my sisters call them fries then. They're from Perth though, so it could be a bit different...
Oh they're from Perth? Well, that explains a lot. Fries are what you get at McDonalds and Hungry Jacks (which is called Burger King everywhere else in the world), but you get chips everywhere else.
Yeah, off in the middle of nowhere  :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2015, 04:37:26 AM »
I wouldn't call Perth in the middle of nowhere, but WA is a huge state and is composed mostly of desert. The coast is very nice, though, especially when you get up as far as Broome.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2015, 05:02:59 AM »
I wouldn't call Perth in the middle of nowhere, but WA is a huge state and is composed mostly of desert. The coast is very nice, though, especially when you get up as far as Broome.
Yeah I wasn't being serious, it's a fairly big city and parts of the WA coast are pretty populated. It's a beautiful place though. I haven't been far outside Perth, just down to Bunbury/Busselton.

Wish we could move over there, there's a load of things about it that we'd love, but visas are difficult. If only I had asked to live with my dad for a year when I was a kid, I'd have dual nationality... Finland is great, but it'd be nice to have other options that are as nice.  :(
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2015, 05:12:19 AM »
Yeah I wasn't being serious, it's a fairly big city and parts of the WA coast are pretty populated. It's a beautiful place though. I haven't been far outside Perth, just down to Bunbury/Busselton.

Wish we could move over there, there's a load of things about it that we'd love, but visas are difficult. If only I had asked to live with my dad for a year when I was a kid, I'd have dual nationality... Finland is great, but it'd be nice to have other options that are as nice.  :(

Perth is a very beautiful city, but it's so far from everywhere else  :)  Small example - when elfy & I went to Broome, it took longer to fly from Perth to Broome (about 3/4 way up the coast) than it did from Perth to Melbourne (on the other side of the country)

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2015, 05:41:40 AM »

Perth is a very beautiful city, but it's so far from everywhere else  :)  Small example - when elfy & I went to Broome, it took longer to fly from Perth to Broome (about 3/4 way up the coast) than it did from Perth to Melbourne (on the other side of the country)
To try and put it into some sort of perspective for people. My taekwondo instructor some years ago took a team from Melbourne to a tournament in Perth and he only wanted people who were really serious about it as he wasn't taking a team the equivalent distance of London to Moscow for them to embarrass themselves and him.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2015, 08:07:19 AM »
To try and put it into some sort of perspective for people. My taekwondo instructor some years ago took a team from Melbourne to a tournament in Perth and he only wanted people who were really serious about it as he wasn't taking a team the equivalent distance of London to Moscow for them to embarrass themselves and him.
Yeah it's crazy when you put it like that, especially to someone who lives somewhere like Europe  :P

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »
Crisps are chips.  Chips are fries  ;D
My little sisters, who grew up in Australia, use those terms. Drives me up the wall.  >:(
We call them both chips down here. People generally know what you're talking about though. It's not like you can order potato chips with your flake at the fish and chip shop. Little by bit, though chips are being Americanised to fries.

Hold on you put Flakes in you chips?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_%28chocolate_bar%29 it's chocolate here  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
Hold on you put Flakes in you chips?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_%28chocolate_bar%29 it's chocolate here  :)

I think he means this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_%28fish%29
Maybe?

But those little differences in words and their meanings between Australia and the UK/US are really funny sometimes. Still New Zealand wins with their chilly bin. (That's a cooler/ice box.)  ;D

I too at times think it would be nice to live in a warmer place, like Australia, but then there are mornings like today: A little over an hour of cross-country skiing (skating) over snowy fields in beautiful, nearly blinding sunshine. There was a good crust on the snow so it carried the skis perfectly. Actually, you could have ran on the snow without breaking through the crust.

So yeah, I think i need my Finnish winters.  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »

I too at times think it would be nice to live in a warmer place, like Australia, but then there are mornings like today: A little over an hour of cross-country skiing (skating) over snowy fields in beautiful, nearly blinding sunshine. There was a good crust on the snow so it carried the skis perfectly. Actually, you could have ran on the snow without breaking through the crust.

So yeah, I think i need my Finnish winters.  :)
Nice! It's very much feeling like spring already down here, snow's already gone.

The winters are gorgeous over here, and actually I love the summer too. Especially how light and warm it is at night, great for going on walks along the coast and stuff like that. Sunrise and sunset lasting several hours is great for photography too  :D Autumn and spring are great over here too, it's weird having actual seasons.

I could probably live with Perth's eternal summer though, more for the convenience of never needing to wrap up with layers and layers of clothes. Anything other than the 11.5 months of grey skies + 2 weeks of tentative sunshine in Manchester  :-\

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »

I think he means this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_%28fish%29
Maybe?

Yes, that's right - flake in the Fish & Chip sense is a variety of shark.  You can ask for other types of fish in the Fish & Chips, but flake (in Victoria at least) is the default variety.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2015, 12:14:11 PM »
Yeah it's crazy when you put it like that, especially to someone who lives somewhere like Europe  :P
To put a U.S. perspective on its (where I can travel  over 3000 miles without leaving the country) that distance is just a little more than NYC to Denver, CO (less than  NYC to Salt Lake City, UT). :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
I'm surprised @Elfy hasn't brought up biscuits yet... :P
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
. Anything other than the 11.5 months of grey skies + 2 weeks of tentative sunshine in Manchester  :-\

That isn't really that true, hehe
Are you really in Manchester? I'm across the Pennines, about 45 min away :)
(not now hehe now I'm looking at bright sunny skies, temperature of about 18 degrees ;D)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2015, 04:11:30 PM »
. Anything other than the 11.5 months of grey skies + 2 weeks of tentative sunshine in Manchester  :-\

That isn't really that true, hehe
Are you really in Manchester? I'm across the Pennines, about 45 min away :)
(not now hehe now I'm looking at bright sunny skies, temperature of about 18 degrees ;D )
Not any more, I grew up in Manchester but moved to Helsinki a couple of years ago. Over here it feels like living in Center Parcs, so much nature even though I'm in the middle of a city  :D

And yeah, Manchester's weather isn't as bad as its reputation, but it really is noticeably worse than either Helsinki or Perth (the two places I've spent most time in outside of the UK)  ;)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
Oh right - I loved Helsinki when I visited, about 8 years ago. Lovely feel of small city, even though it's a capital.
 :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!