November 12, 2019, 01:55:59 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 249793 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
(...)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:35:06 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
I quite enjoyed reading the first bit of the discussion with all the language complications. Where I come from we "officially" use British English but most of what we get on TV is American English. Plus a lot of the books are also in American English. It tought me sort of to ignore all the funny/confusing meanings of words. And don't even get me started on the other versions of English that you get here. Luckily the people here tend to speak slow when they speak English so there is time to "interpret" it to yourself, not like when I got to America and couldn't follow anything the lady in the airport said.

And then there is also the differences in spelling - the 'ou' in colour or just an 'o' (color), using 's' in stead of 'z'. Makes teaching spelling to kids realy hard, because the books they read and the way they have to write is not in the same English.

So we have both camisole and vest for the thing you wear under your shirt. Then you have the shirt which is pretty straight forward. Then you get the waistcoat (or 'onderbaadjie' which is pretty much an "under-jacket") and then you get both a jacket and a blazer. I've never been able to figure out the difference between the blazer and jacket.

And then you probably get the most confusing one - the 'top'. That could be anything from a tank top, t-shirt, button up shirt, jersey, jacket or pullover.

So, that is my 50 cents of 'Globalisation and language'.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 01:39:14 AM »

And then you probably get the most confusing one - the 'top'. That could be anything from a tank top, t-shirt, button up shirt, jersey, jacket or pullover.

Don't forget guernsey or jumper.

I'm probably mangling a famous quote here, but I think it goes something like: America and England two countries separated by a common language.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Roxxsmom

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »
I think also there's a difference between the US and the UK idea of a vest - in that Americans have these sweater vest things (they look cute and I want one) which go over a shirt, and British people have vests as a sort of extra layer of warmth under your normal clothes. And they are less appealing.

I think this is true. I think what Americans often refer to as a vest is called a waistcoat in the UK, and they're worn over shirts and (if formal) under coats or jackets. But we also have sweater vests. I assumed that the vests worn in the Mistborn series were of the medieval type, maybe more similar to the garments that are sometimes referred to as jerkins.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
I've just bought 5 books *dances*
So much better than buying anything else ;D

------------------------

Edit: sorry, I went off in a tangent again, didn't I? Sorry again. It's just some things feel too good not to be shared and I end up writing here - and of course you don't care.
If I could delete, I would - as it is, I promise to think more before posting :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:29:59 AM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2014, 01:48:33 AM »

------------------------

Edit: sorry, I went off in a tangent again, didn't I? Sorry again. It's just some things feel too good not to be shared and I end up writing here - and of course you don't care.
If I could delete, I would - as it is, I promise to think more before posting :)

Well, I share your enthusiasm for buying new books, and your happy dance improved my mood considerably, so as far as I'm concerned, you're forgiven.  ;D

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:14 AM »

------------------------

I bought 3 the other day and I did a happy dance about it, too, so it's not really that tangential, we are on a forum that is largely devoted to the joys of reading, after all.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
I've never wanted to slap and shout at a character more than I do with Kylar in the first 200 pages of Shadow's Edge (the second in Night Angel) - changing who you are for a woman? Really?  >:( I know he's only 20, but I wish he knew better...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
Wow, today I discovered (via a LibraryThing group) that at a school in Portugal their year 9 students have studied Brett's The Painted Man (it's one of the available books to study in its list).

Great that they're including fantasy now, as well as other recent authors: in my days it was only 19th century portuguese authors ::)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »
Great that they're including fantasy now, as well as other recent authors: in my days it was only 19th century portuguese authors ::)

Come on, that's a bit unfair. Stories by the great Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen, many of them filled with fantastical elements, are read from a very young age. You also have Camões' The Lusiads, with the classical gods quarreling amongst themselves about the portuguese explorers during the Age of Discovery. And there is Saramago's Baltasar and Blimunda, the story of a man who makes a machine fly with the power of his will.

But I too was pleasantly surprised to hear that about Peter V. Brett's book  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
I think I did The Lusiads in year 9, and that wasn't so bad, but it was Eca de Queiroz in years 10-11 (no choice at all), and I really don't like his style.
You're about half my age, I think? (I'm 44), so things might have improved for you hehe - after all, the other authors you mention are all 20th century.

And sorry, but any book I have to 'study' (i.e. desiccate) I end up hating, unfortunately :( there's something about trying to find reasons for why the author wrote 'this' and not 'that', rewrite the description using different words, counting the number of sentences of type X in a given chapter, that destroy the best books. I do hope things have changed since then.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Well, I'm 23, so yes, things have probably changed. And, from the looks of it, for the better - but, much like you, I too end up with a strong dislike for books we have to study in school. Saramago may be the only exception I can think of.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2014, 11:49:26 PM »
I think I did The Lusiads in year 9, and that wasn't so bad, but it was Eca de Queiroz in years 10-11 (no choice at all), and I really don't like his style.
You're about half my age, I think? (I'm 44), so things might have improved for you hehe - after all, the other authors you mention are all 20th century.

And sorry, but any book I have to 'study' (i.e. desiccate) I end up hating, unfortunately :( there's something about trying to find reasons for why the author wrote 'this' and not 'that', rewrite the description using different words, counting the number of sentences of type X in a given chapter, that destroy the best books. I do hope things have changed since then.
I've often wondered how many kids the way we study books at school turns off reading in general.

Offline Roxxsmom

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »
Looking back at the first post (re the peasants and nobles) and wondering if there are any fantasy novels where, instead of feudalism, people live in autonomous collectives.

And thinking of anachronistic words I've run across in fantasy that many people don't know are anachronistic. Escalate would be one, unless it's a parallel world and a company named Otis patented a moving staircase called an escalator.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:33:45 AM by Roxxsmom »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »
^ gosh I'd never even thought that escalate came from escalator (I thought it was the other way round).

Another misc. musing: I've just realised I'm going to Congression this week ;D - I'm off to Vyene on Wednesday!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:57:46 AM by ScarletBea »