September 27, 2020, 11:14:34 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 349364 times)

Offline Bender

Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1575 on: July 16, 2020, 07:59:17 PM »
Iron Druid, Paternus are different.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1576 on: July 17, 2020, 02:11:02 AM »
Why is it that every Urban Fantasy book is either romance- or crime-flavoured?

Where's my story of a bunch of accountants doing a dragon's taxes? Outside of comedy novels you just don't see much variety in UF.
Ohmygawd, this, so much!
I've actually come to equate "urban fantasy" with "detectives" in my brain...

Ooooh accountants in books - there would be my representation ;D
(that's also why I loved The dagger and the coin, with one of the main characters working in Finance hehe)

One day I'll champion the genre of Rural Fantasy, where it's just farmers dealing with magical problems.  :P

I was going to say, "Isn't Rural Fantasy just a subset of KJ Parker's output?" but that's more farmers dealing with astounding murderous family drama.

As for accountants doing magical tax, may I encourage you to consider the work of Max Gladstone? Start with Three Parts Dead, which is more "necromantic lawyers dealing with the aftermath of a god going bankrupt" but perhaps might hit that spot?

Also perhaps have a look at the work of Kate Griffin, which is very urban, neither romance nor detectives, nor tax, though in some of the later books there's dealing with magical local government issues...

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1577 on: July 17, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
Why is it that every Urban Fantasy book is either romance- or crime-flavoured?

Where's my story of a bunch of accountants doing a dragon's taxes? Outside of comedy novels you just don't see much variety in UF.
Ohmygawd, this, so much!
I've actually come to equate "urban fantasy" with "detectives" in my brain...

Ooooh accountants in books - there would be my representation ;D
(that's also why I loved The dagger and the coin, with one of the main characters working in Finance hehe)

One day I'll champion the genre of Rural Fantasy, where it's just farmers dealing with magical problems.  :P

I was going to say, "Isn't Rural Fantasy just a subset of KJ Parker's output?" but that's more farmers dealing with astounding murderous family drama.

As for accountants doing magical tax, may I encourage you to consider the work of Max Gladstone? Start with Three Parts Dead, which is more "necromantic lawyers dealing with the aftermath of a god going bankrupt" but perhaps might hit that spot?

Also perhaps have a look at the work of Kate Griffin, which is very urban, neither romance nor detectives, nor tax, though in some of the later books there's dealing with magical local government issues...

Oh, as a lawyer in training you've got my interest there. I don't think K. J. Parker's books are considered urban fantasy though, since their settings aren't in a real city, is it? It'd be more like low fantasy stories I guess. Also maybe the high amount of urban fantasies being associated with detective business may have to do with the fact that the most watched tv shows center around cops and detectives and what not. That just came up the most when you thought about urban landscapes, I guess.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 18, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
Ooooh it seems my library will be opening in the next few weeks :D
Apparently you'll select the books online, they'll prepare the bundle and you can then pick it up - instructions will come soon.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1579 on: July 19, 2020, 03:17:59 AM »
Ooooh it seems my library will be opening in the next few weeks :D
Apparently you'll select the books online, they'll prepare the bundle and you can then pick it up - instructions will come soon.

My library was doing this before we went back into lockdown! They were doing 15 minute booked windows for picking up, when you could also do a little browsing if you wanted, but you had to stack anything you touched to the side for wiping down. They also had a service where you could tell the librarians your tastes, and they would bundle up some books for you. Theoretically, they're doing the same things with a contactless delivery service at the moment, but I sent in my email and haven't heard anything back...

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1580 on: July 19, 2020, 04:24:38 AM »
I just found that the pharmacy near me also do plastic cover services for books. Wee woo I won't have to do the wrapping all by myself anymore, yay!  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:59 AM »
Another plot thing that doesn't work, in my opinion:
- when something needs to be done "at midnight". Something that was done in an ancient civilisation, long dead.

"Midnight" is a construct of the times, it's directly related to the current society and civilisation, so it's only by chance that the exact midnight second would be the same in both situations.
Right?

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #1582 on: July 26, 2020, 10:02:28 AM »
Another plot thing that doesn't work, in my opinion:
- when something needs to be done "at midnight". Something that was done in an ancient civilisation, long dead.

"Midnight" is a construct of the times, it's directly related to the current society and civilisation, so it's only by chance that the exact midnight second would be the same in both situations.
Right?

That could actually make quite an interesting plot twist. For example, say some characters have to complete a ritual at the end of the day for it to work, so they finish it at exactly midnight, then it fails because the culture that first devised the ritual considered each day to end at dusk or something.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 26, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
Interesting!
And that might actually still happen, I haven't finished the book yet hehe

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 27, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
Argh, bugbear: american writers who discover italian names (of people, of things) and decide to use them in their fantasy books because "they look strange and foreign", and forget that amongst their readers there will be people who understand the names and make the whole plot sound incongruous.

Worse, when they pick up things that aren't people's names and use them as such - in this case it took me a good 3/4s of the book until I understood that what I thought was being used as someone's title/position was actually being used as a first name...

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #1585 on: July 27, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
Argh, bugbear: american writers who discover italian names (of people, of things) and decide to use them in their fantasy books because "they look strange and foreign", and forget that amongst their readers there will be people who understand the names and make the whole plot sound incongruous.

Worse, when they pick up things that aren't people's names and use them as such - in this case it took me a good 3/4s of the book until I understood that what I thought was being used as someone's title/position was actually being used as a first name...

This reminds me of something that I've learned about the history of the eastern Islamic world. Pretty much every significant person in the history of Iran, Central Asia or the North of India is known primarily by a title and not their birth name.

Also one of the cultures in my WIP is very heavily based on the Italian Renaissance so I'm going to have to be very careful with the names.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #1586 on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »
My bookcases are ordered for delivery this weekend, and will be able to get them up next weekend!  ;D

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #1587 on: August 04, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »
Went to buy Peter Newman's The Ruthless from Waterstones (online), but it said it was unavailable. Then I logged onto Twitter and found out I'd won the entire trilogy in a competition.

I love it when a problem resolves itself.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 04, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »
Went to buy Peter Newman's The Ruthless from Waterstones (online), but it said it was unavailable. Then I logged onto Twitter and found out I'd won the entire trilogy in a competition.

Oh yay! Congrats! :D

(and you're right about that one in Waterstone's, it's very strange - I had to buy it in the local independent bookshop)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1589 on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »

Congrats Alex!  :D Winning new books for free sounds seriously dope.