October 01, 2020, 09:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 351874 times)

Offline Yora

Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1455 on: November 20, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »
Surprises are one thing, but I feel they've been blown all out of proportion over the last decade or so. Important turning points in the story don't need to be told in advance to people who have not already read(watched/played) it of course. But I very often see people treating absolutely everything as a secret that must be kept from potential audiences, leading to forum discussions where the entire page is nothing but spoiler blocks. "There are Jawas in episode 2." So what?! That's not a spoiler. It does not reveal any plot point of the entire show. If there are people who really wouldn't want to know about such things, they would not be reading discussion threads about the show. I understand erring on the side of caution, but I often feel it's getting silly.

And I find that actually this obsession with twists and reveals is rather detrimental to a lot of storytelling that is around these days. Everything gets bend over backwards to allow for amazing twists, with the result that everything else about the story doesn't really work. Surprises are cheap. A really good story still should work on the second and third reading.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #1456 on: November 20, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
When I pick a book, I need to be sure I'm going to enjoy it.
Oh man, I wish I knew a way to do that!  I often find myself 300 pages into a book and still unsure if I'm going to enjoy it.   ;D
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Yora

« Reply #1457 on: December 12, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
squeee...

I got Echoes of Valor on ebay for 7€ with free shipping. This is one of the highest praised S&S anthologies and been out of print for 30 years.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline isos81

« Reply #1458 on: December 12, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
Oh man, I wish I knew a way to do that!  I often find myself 300 pages into a book and still unsure if I'm going to enjoy it.   ;D

Same here. I even feel obliged to finish the book even if I do not like it.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1459 on: December 13, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »

Same here. I even feel obliged to finish the book even if I do not like it.

If not for the regret of having spent so much cash on the book already, I'd have DNF'd much more novels, haha.

Offline Bender

« Reply #1460 on: December 14, 2019, 03:13:54 AM »

It's a compromise, not a guarantee. You're likely to miss out on certain good books because you didn't try them out too. But that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I read lots of reviews, GR comments and potential spoilers too before picking up a book. Nowadays work is stressful, so I tend to pick up books which don't have too heavy or grimdark contents. Happiness is more important than satisfaction to me nowadays.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #1461 on: December 19, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
A question for people who've read Starsight:

Is there a printing error with chapter titles, or is chapter 45 supposed to be after the epilogue? It's been bugging me for days.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #1462 on: December 19, 2019, 06:33:50 PM »

Is there a printing error with chapter titles, or is chapter 45 supposed to be after the epilogue? It's been bugging me for days.

I don't think there's an epilogue. Ch45 is just last chapter. It's a printing error, imo.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
« Reply #1463 on: December 20, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »

I don't think there's an epilogue. Ch45 is just last chapter. It's a printing error, imo.

The chapters in mine go 43,44,Epilogue,45. It all makes complete sense, so it's not like they're in the wrong order.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #1464 on: December 25, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »
Anybody get any books for Christmas?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 25, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »
I got book tokens, which is even better - my choice!! :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #1466 on: December 25, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »
My Christmas book haul, thanks to my wife, mother, and in-laws.  :)

First Law Trilogy, Abercrombie
Promise of Blood, Brian McClellan
The Sword of Shannara (volume 1), Terry Brooks
Priest of Bones, Peter McLean
The Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch
The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend, David Gemmell
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline hexa

« Reply #1467 on: December 25, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »
The Sword of Shannara is a classic.  The book begins slowly.  You have to be patient with it

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
« Reply #1468 on: December 25, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »
First Chronicles of Druss is probably my favourite fantasy book. Certainly the one that inspired me the most.

I got a bunch of books, mostly filling holes in my collections. Also 250+ hrs of sf TV box sets.

Offline hexa

« Reply #1469 on: December 25, 2019, 08:45:33 PM »
Which science fiction TV?