December 14, 2019, 04:50:14 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 258608 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1440 on: November 18, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
I only trust reviews from Eclipse more than from strangers

Waves
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: November 18, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »
I rarely read reviews of books I'm already planning to read for fear of spoilers. But if a book I haven't heard of gets reviewed a lot, I'll probably take a gander and see what the fuss is about.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 18, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
I only trust reviews from Eclipse more than from strangers

Waves
:P
Waves back ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Yora

« Reply #1443 on: November 18, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
I at least need to know what a book is promising me before I can get interested in reading it.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Peat

« Reply #1444 on: November 18, 2019, 07:25:05 PM »
^ interesting though. I guess when you review a book, you focus only on certain elements, regardless of your experience.
That's why, in my opinion, you should only trust a review completely if you know the person and what they usually like.
That's why I trust reviews from forum people more than from strangers, and also why I only like to read 'external' reviews after I've the book (which completely defeats the purpose, hehe)

I don't think it does, although I would say that as I'm 90% the same myself. I read reviews to figure out if other people had the same experience, not to judge what to read.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #1445 on: November 18, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
I read reviews to figure out if other people had the same experience, not to judge what to read.
I use reviews for both.  Though if I had to pick one or the other, I would go with reviews after I've read the book.  When I finish an amazing story—or even an awful one for that matter—I want to discuss it.  And reading/listening to a review is about the next best thing.  :)
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1446 on: November 19, 2019, 03:53:53 AM »
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or something along those lines. I think we all just see what we wanted to see, based on our perceptions, preferences, and experiences on things. Despite that, if there were a thousand people saying that the book was great, or that it was terrible, I am biased towards the opinion of the majority, though.  ;D

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1447 on: November 19, 2019, 05:39:22 AM »
Yesterday I saw a very exciting sounding description of Crossroads of Canopy, and the things that were mentioned are really up my alley. And then today I looked it up some more and found out it's a coming of age story of a teenage girl who apparently spends a lot of time obsessing about boys and rebelling against her society. Now that's really not what I am looking for.  :-\

I... honestly don't remember the heroine of that book doing much obsessing about boys at all. And she less rebels than she follows her certainty that she is the prophesised hero, even when society tells her she isn't. I remember it being much more a Hero(ine)'s Journey than a YA-coming-of-age. (Yes, it is a coming of age, but in the same way that, say, Star Wars is a coming of age. It's about growing out of childhood conceptions of life and into adult compromises and decisions.) Personally, I found Crossroads a little too "epic" and not enough "character-focus" for me--and we all know I enjoy a good YA girl coming of age. :D

Offline Yora

« Reply #1448 on: November 19, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »
Which just support me point.  ;D

Praising books by mentioning the aspects that you enjoyed or disliked does not really create any kind of impression what kind of book it actually is. People not wanting to reveal plot is aplaudable, but it seems to be kind of important to say what the book is actually about and what happens in the first parts.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #1449 on: November 19, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »
People not wanting to reveal plot is aplaudable, but it seems to be kind of important to say what the book is actually about and what happens in the first parts.
The back of the book blurb usually does enough of that for me.  This is especially true for fantasy books.

Speaking for myself, I almost never seek out a plot summary from a book or movie review. I am, however, interested in reading/hearing what specific genre it is, as well as what the tone of the story is. 
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Online Bender

« Reply #1450 on: November 19, 2019, 07:06:54 PM »
I'm the polar opposite. Read every bit online including reviews, plot summaries, spoilers.... everything. When I pick a book, I need to be sure I'm going to enjoy it. There are very few books I read that I  don't like. And not getting the surprise at climax is a price, I'm willing to pay.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline isos81

« Reply #1451 on: November 19, 2019, 08:54:33 PM »
I'm the polar opposite. Read every bit online including reviews, plot summaries, spoilers.... everything. When I pick a book, I need to be sure I'm going to enjoy it. There are very few books I read that I  don't like. And not getting the surprise at climax is a price, I'm willing to pay.

Interesting. I don't like spoilers. I never read back blurbs as they often lead to spoilers in Turkish translations. I like reviews but try to avoid spoilers.

Why did I use so many spoilers?  :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1452 on: November 20, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »
Interesting! I rarely summarise books in my review because I assume people just read the blurb. (Unless I feel the blurb doesn't represent the book accurately.) Then again, I don't care at all about spoilers. It's partly because I feel that over-reliance on surprise makes a story weak, but mostly that if the story is great, I get so caught up in the experience of it that I just don't think about what might be coming, even if I already know what it is. (I mean... I know exactly how The Lions of Al-Rassan ends, and I still cry every single time.)

Offline isos81

« Reply #1453 on: November 20, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
(I mean... I know exactly how The Lions of Al-Rassan ends, and I still cry every single time.)
It might not be the same IMO. Reading spoilers is like a friend of yours telling that you'll have a surprise party this evening. You cannot pretend that you did not know and you cannot enjoy the party as much as a real surprise :) So, why ruin the element of surprise even if a bad one it is ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Peat

« Reply #1454 on: November 20, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »
Some people don't care too much about surprises. Me, generally I'm not that fussed about surprises in stories. Sometimes I'll try to keep life spoiler free, sometimes I deliberately seek them out - I'm not always patient. And I'd always prefer a party I knew about to a surprise party, because I'll already have filled out the time people want me to have a surprise party in with non-social activities.

I've also got to say that while I'm frequently picky about books, I don't find book reviews really help me as the main thing I'm picky on is the prose and nothing beats reading it. A look at first chapter and the blurb is pretty much all I need 9 times out of 10.

Also, interesting on cupiscent saying she doesn't summarise books when she reviews. I never did, before feeling like everyone else did so I should do. But I really think its better to talk about what sort of book it is, not what the story is... but excitement over the story seems to gain more attention.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/