August 15, 2018, 05:25:41 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 168965 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1290 on: March 21, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
Do you think you read a book differently when you started to write/improved your writing?

I realised that the influence of writers (mainly via the forum) has slightly changed the way I see a book when reading...

I certainly notice flaws more, especially clunky prose and poor characters/dialogue.

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 21, 2018, 02:24:28 PM »
I’ve spoiled myself after reading Lanko’s masterpiece, everything I’ve read since has been dull and flat. I will never have the joy of finding anything to rival Lanko’s talent with the written word. I wished I had a time machine and never read this wonderful book because  I will never capture this  magical moment ever again. Lanko has ruined reading for me.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
Eclipse, you need to call @Lanko so he reads your speech to his magnificence ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #1293 on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
 :o
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Online Peat

« Reply #1294 on: March 22, 2018, 01:04:09 AM »
Do you think you read a book differently when you started to write/improved your writing?

I realised that the influence of writers (mainly via the forum) has slightly changed the way I see a book when reading...

Yup. There's only so much you can spend thinking about how writers write books before you start seeing all the tricks when you read.

Not to mention editing your own work starts making you think a little bit like an editor.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 31, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »
I can't really explain this feeling, but...
Do you find that there are some books that just "flow by"? You feel you haven't really read much, and suddenly you're 300-400 pages in!
I usually feel that with Robin Hobb, some of Mark Lawrence's books, and now Jen Williams' Bitter Twins (and her other books too).
It's both great (good books!) and not so (it's almost over? how come?)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 31, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
Do you find that there are some books that just "flow by"? You feel you haven't really read much, and suddenly you're 300-400 pages in!
I usually feel that with Robin Hobb, some of Mark Lawrence's books, and now Jen Williams' Bitter Twins (and her other books too).

My favorite feeling is when the excitement and suspense have kicked in completely and I have to cover part of the page or screen to stop my eyes from racing ahead.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 31, 2018, 02:00:29 PM »

My favorite feeling is when the excitement and suspense have kicked in completely and I have to cover part of the page or screen to stop my eyes from racing ahead.
I'm getting that too :D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 31, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
The Ninth Rain is not on Audible in the U.S.  >:(

Oddly, the only Jen Williams on U.S. Audible are recorded versions of her initial Copper Promise episodes.
In German.  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1299 on: April 01, 2018, 04:28:12 AM »
After finishing the Red Queen's War, I think I'm not going to touch a Mark Lawrence novel for quite a longggg while. Thinking about it, I think what drew me to his writing in the first place were intersting MCs (Jorg mostly). Even Jalan's story does paled during some parts, and doesn't really live up to my experience reading the Thorns trilogy. The ending of the Red Queen's War also felt anticlimatic, and I haven't felt unsatisfied with a series ending like this since the Night Angel trilogy (although not as much as the Night Angel ending).  :-\

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 01, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
After finishing the Red Queen's War, I think I'm not going to touch a Mark Lawrence novel for quite a longggg while. Thinking about it, I think what drew me to his writing in the first place were intersting MCs (Jorg mostly). Even Jalan's story does paled during some parts, and doesn't really live up to my experience reading the Thorns trilogy. The ending of the Red Queen's War also felt anticlimatic, and I haven't felt unsatisfied with a series ending like this since the Night Angel trilogy (although not as much as the Night Angel ending).  :-\
Inky, please don't worry about reading his new series!
I don't know if you'll like it as much, it's very very different from the other 2 trilogies, but I'd hate for you not to read it based on the end of the last one :-\

Offline Yora

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 08, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »
A Dream of Spring has a 4.41 rating on Goodreads, based on 1063 ratings and 58 reviews. That's really quite amazing.
I didn't even have an idea what you were referring to until I opened the link. There are fans and then there are crazy people! ::)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #1303 on: April 09, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
In other news is Pat Rothfuss cowriting a Rick and Morty D&D crossover comic.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #1304 on: April 10, 2018, 02:50:27 AM »
A Dream of Spring has a 4.41 rating on Goodreads, based on 1063 ratings and 58 reviews. That's really quite amazing.
I didn't even have an idea what you were referring to until I opened the link. There are fans and then there are crazy people! ::)

Or it's time travelers.