August 15, 2018, 05:25:54 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 168966 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1275 on: February 12, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
I can generally manage OK if I'm reading one non-fiction and one fiction. Although I do find I might end up neglecting the non-fiction for weeks.

Same. Except I tend to DNF the non fiction when I feel I've covered enough of the topic. I'm terrible.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Rostum

« Reply #1276 on: February 16, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
Went out to buy a rucksack came back with 4 Pratchett audiobooks a GRRM omnibus, a Haynes manual for a Dehavilland Mosquito and a haircut. I don't dare do my grocery shop at the moment.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 16, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
Went out to buy a rucksack came back with 4 Pratchett audiobooks a GRRM omnibus, a Haynes manual for a Dehavilland Mosquito and a haircut. I don't dare do my grocery shop at the moment.
;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 16, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »

Went out to pick up a shirt from the dry cleaner and drop off some slacks to be hemmed. Coming back with Dee shirts from a local men’s shop, two slices of pizza(showed internally, as it were), and less time to write. Will take your hint, Hedi , and not go grocery shopping.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
Resolution: spend more time reading and less time online, at home

( >:( to self)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Rostum

« Reply #1280 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:15 AM »
Spend time at home reading to someone else. it's all about compromise  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 14, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
I got this today on the mail, from Harper Voyager: it looks like a great book :D

The city of brass, by S.A. Chakraborty.

"Among the bustling markets of eighteenth century Cairo, the city’s outcasts eke out a living swindling rich Ottoman nobles and foreign invaders alike.

But alongside this new world the old stories linger. Tales of djinn and spirits. Of cities hidden among the swirling sands of the desert, full of enchantment, desire and riches. Where magic pours down every street, hanging in the air like dust.

Many wish their lives could be filled with such wonder, but not Nahri. She knows the trades she uses to get by are just tricks and sleights of hand: there’s nothing magical about them. She only wishes to one day leave Cairo, but as the saying goes ...
Be careful what you wish for."

Part of the interview:
What was your inspiration for The City of Brass? Was there a specific motivation for telling this story?

The City of Brass started as more of a world-building experiment than a novel. I wanted to explore beliefs surrounding djinn and basically create some 'historical fan-fiction' about the medieval Islamic world, a subject I had intended to pursue in graduate school. It’s traditionally taught that djinn are creatures of smokeless fire, living long unseen lives besides us; which is pretty fascinating, but when it comes to stories, they’re typically the silent side characters.
With The City of Brass, I wanted to construct their world and their politics, building off the human history and texts they might have lived through. So, a brief story about the Prophet Suleiman punishing them turns into the event that shapes their religious landscape. They battle with weapons from Sassanid Persia and have a library modeled after the great one from Abbasid Baghdad, filled with magical texts, as well as all the great works humans have lost. It was more a game than a novel, so as I read new books, I’d build it up: courts based on the Zanzibar Sultanate, creatures from 10th century sailors’ yarn, etc.

(@Saraband, this might be up your street?)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 16, 2018, 01:08:18 AM »
^ Like the sound of this book, thanks ScarletBea. And just downloaded from audible. Great.  ;D
Also @JMack  do you know both Jen’s new books, The Ninth Rain and The Bitter Twins are on audible.com?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:12:30 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1283 on: March 16, 2018, 03:12:18 AM »
I got this today on the mail, from Harper Voyager: it looks like a great book :D

The city of brass, by S.A. Chakraborty.

"Among the bustling markets of eighteenth century Cairo, the city’s outcasts eke out a living swindling rich Ottoman nobles and foreign invaders alike.

But alongside this new world the old stories linger. Tales of djinn and spirits. Of cities hidden among the swirling sands of the desert, full of enchantment, desire and riches. Where magic pours down every street, hanging in the air like dust.

Many wish their lives could be filled with such wonder, but not Nahri. She knows the trades she uses to get by are just tricks and sleights of hand: there’s nothing magical about them. She only wishes to one day leave Cairo, but as the saying goes ...
Be careful what you wish for."

Part of the interview:
What was your inspiration for The City of Brass? Was there a specific motivation for telling this story?

The City of Brass started as more of a world-building experiment than a novel. I wanted to explore beliefs surrounding djinn and basically create some 'historical fan-fiction' about the medieval Islamic world, a subject I had intended to pursue in graduate school. It’s traditionally taught that djinn are creatures of smokeless fire, living long unseen lives besides us; which is pretty fascinating, but when it comes to stories, they’re typically the silent side characters.
With The City of Brass, I wanted to construct their world and their politics, building off the human history and texts they might have lived through. So, a brief story about the Prophet Suleiman punishing them turns into the event that shapes their religious landscape. They battle with weapons from Sassanid Persia and have a library modeled after the great one from Abbasid Baghdad, filled with magical texts, as well as all the great works humans have lost. It was more a game than a novel, so as I read new books, I’d build it up: courts based on the Zanzibar Sultanate, creatures from 10th century sailors’ yarn, etc.

(@Saraband, this might be up your street?)
Actually bought that last week. Not sure when I'll get around to reading it, though.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
^ Like the sound of this book, thanks ScarletBea. And just downloaded from audible. Great.  ;D
Also @JMack  do you know both Jen’s new books, The Ninth Rain and The Bitter Twins are on audible.com?

I did not! Oooh, I know my book for April. Thanks, Rx!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #1286 on: March 19, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
Does it matter if the Author is male or female/ I honestly don't pay attention half the time.

Online Rostum

« Reply #1287 on: March 20, 2018, 02:46:11 AM »
@Dark Squiggle  There are some longstanding arguments that women are disadvantaged when it comes to getting published. This was certainly the case in the distant past but no compelling argument has yet been made to change my own viewpoint at present. So no I don't think it matters but check your own shelves and see if your own reading shows a preference.

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #1288 on: March 20, 2018, 03:11:41 AM »
I will admit there is a heavy male bias in the books I read, if you look at them all as one group. However, if you look at the books I read that are <30 yrs. old it is slanted towards women. Looking at a list of books I read recently,
7 were written by women in the last 30 years. (4 from one Author, so not really fair)
3 were written by men in the last 30 years
8 were written by men, but more than 30 years old.
If you read older books, there only are male writers, so you end up reading more of them, but I don't really care much one way or the other.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
Do you think you read a book differently when you started to write/improved your writing?

I realised that the influence of writers (mainly via the forum) has slightly changed the way I see a book when reading...