October 21, 2020, 05:46:53 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 366765 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2015, 05:38:08 AM »
hehe I feel your pain!

Not so long ago I bought a new bookshelf, I wanted to stop having to double-stack my fantasy books, I like to have them all visible. So I moved half my non-fantasy ones to the new bookshelf in the office room (no room at all in the living room), leaving the main shelves in my living room. After havings bought 6 new fat books recently, I will now need to move still more books to the other shelf, to avoid going back to having many double stacked.
I want a library room with all books on show :'(
(I want my large portuguese flat in england, actually hehe)

By the way, am I the only one who, when visiting a Stately Home, spends ages in their library just looking at the book titles and thinking what kind of people that family was?
I visited one early this year where the current family still lived in part of the house. In the part that you could visit they had changed one of the smaller rooms to include things that they like *now*, so there was some modern art, furniture and a large bookshelf with many books (many were fantasy) and DVDs (including GoT). I was impressed ;D
(I think it was Harewood House)

(And yay for having it as sticky thread!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:41:18 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
By the way, am I the only one who, when visiting a Stately Home, spends ages in their library just looking at the book titles and thinking what kind of people that family was?
I visited once early this year where the current family still lived in part of the house. In the part that you could visit they had changed one of the smaller rooms to include things that they like *now*, so there was some modern art, furniture and a large bookshelf with many books (many were fantasy) and DVDs (including GoT). I was impressed ;D

(And yay for having it as sticky thread!)

This...

I'm sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. It's like it's a museum... but they still live there?

So what you're saying is that modern day brits treat their nobility like zoo animals?  I knew the Crawley's were desperate for money, but I didn't think it would end like this.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
I visited once early this year where the current family still lived in part of the house. In the part that you could visit they had changed one of the smaller rooms to include things that they like *now*, so there was some modern art, furniture and a large bookshelf with many books (many were fantasy) and DVDs (including GoT). I was impressed ;D

This...

I'm sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. It's like it's a museum... but they still live there?

So what you're saying is that modern day brits treat their nobility like zoo animals?  I knew the Crawley's were desperate for money, but I didn't think it would end like this.

LOL I guess this is a typical british thing.
We don't call Stately Homes museums, but I guess they sort of are... we walk around looking at the old rooms and furniture and art (places from the 15th to the 19th centuries), imagining how they lived. And that's why the libraries are so interesting: imagine really old books, history, nature, travel tomes, sometimes in french or german. You can get a good idea of them and what was considered 'educated' in those times :)

And no, not a zoo ;D We're not allowed to see the rooms where people still live, and they don't mix with the visitors. They're completely separate areas - that's why I thought interesting that in the example above they had created a 'modern room' in the visiting part.
Sometimes they have no choice, the people who inherit these houses: the taxes are so high that they have to open part to the public to earn some money to pay them, and maintain the houses properly. But mostly they belong to one of the 2 national institutions related to old buildings: the National Trust or English Heritage.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #468 on: August 22, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #469 on: August 23, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #470 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
Don't be silly. Nothing is more important than a book.
;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #471 on: August 24, 2015, 02:40:04 AM »
Now we really need a collection of good excuses not to lend , even to good friends.

Because you know they will keep them for a year or two.

Because you aren't certain they will take care of the book and you just can't bear to let your most precious book-children leave home in case they come to harm.

Or someone has once said "I loved that book, hope you don't mind but I lent it on to So and So as I knew she'd like it."  Grrrrr KILL KILL

My useful sneaky lie is "So sorry, that belongs to my son and I couldn't lend it to anyone."  Which isn't at all true as he'd give anything to anyone. ;) 

I have never been brave enough to tell the truth and say "Sorry but I don't like lending my books."
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #472 on: August 25, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
Or someone has once said "I loved that book, hope you don't mind but I lent it on to So and So as I knew she'd like it."  Grrrrr KILL KILL

And this is the major reason I don't lend books (specially my "good" books) any more.  If you had asked me, I probably would have said okay, but it's not your property to hand around willy-nilly.  (I had to get the book replaced, and I never lent anything to that person again  >:()
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #473 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
I've just bought 3 books *dances*
Funny thing is, I've already read 2 of them ;D

I bought the paperback of The Broken Eye (Lightbringer 3) and The copper promise, which I'd read in hardback from the library, but I just had to have them to re-read later.
And then I bought Iron Ghost too: yay Jen, you got 2 sales today :D

And guess who has an extract of her new book, Swords and Scoundrels, as an extra on the Lightbringer book?
Yes, our very own Francis (Julia) Knight :D

Offline Yora

« Reply #474 on: September 04, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
What do you think of a threat where each of us who has a website can post links to book reviews we did?
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #475 on: September 06, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
What do you think of a threat where each of us who has a website can post links to book reviews we did?

Scary. What happens if we don't read the reviews?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #476 on: September 07, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
No physical books for me anymore.  After my last move, I took boxes and boxes of books to the local used book store where I hope they've found good homes.  It's all electronic now.

I love my Kindle.

(And, of course, I lie.  There were so many books I just couldn't part with that I still have whole walls covered in books. But at least I no longer have boxes of old books stacked up in closets.)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #477 on: September 12, 2015, 05:12:36 AM »
Had to share this with all writers concerning perils of translation for overseas markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrlvVhL35Ws
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2015, 07:13:02 PM »
^ so funny ;D

And there, you've done it.
I went into town today, and just had to go into the library and bring Ketty Jay 1, didn't I? Now I'll have to read it first, before my Half a World/Half a King I've bough ::) :D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »
^ so funny ;D

And there, you've done it.
I went into town today, and just had to go into the library and bring Ketty Jay 1, didn't I? Now I'll have to read it first, before my Half a World/Half a King I've bough ::) :D
They're addictive, Bea. Before you know it, you'll have all 4 of them lined up to read.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com