December 08, 2019, 11:14:20 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 258089 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #435 on: July 14, 2015, 12:43:04 AM »
I think we did have a sort of quotes thread once, but it was for opening lines. Having said that I've got one, and this is from The Lies of Locke Lamora: At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-seventh year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.'
Now that is an opening line that immediately poses a bunch of questions, draws the reader in and has them wanting more. At least it did for me. I don't know if that was always the opening line before the manuscript went through revisions and edits, but if it was it's really no surprise that Simon Spanton of Gollancz saw it on the 'net, contacted the author and asked for more than the 30 or so pages that he'd seen and then signed him.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
I think we did have a sort of quotes thread once, but it was for opening lines. Having said that I've got one, and this is from The Lies of Locke Lamora: At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-seventh year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.'

This should be a game but I suspect google has ended that.

My favorite first line of any book would be 'It was the day my grandmother exploded'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #437 on: August 02, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
I bought 4 books today :D
Books 2 and 3 of the Tawny Man trilogy, as I'd bought 1 a few weeks ago.

And just look at the new covers, they're so good:

And then as I was leaving the shop I noticed that Half a King and Half the world were on the 'buy 1, second half price', and bam, there you go.
3 stamps on my loyalty card.
Using a £10 voucher given by my energy suplier.

This is where I spend my money (better than clothes ;) )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #438 on: August 02, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
And just look at the new covers, they're so good:

wow.  no kidding.  those are amazing!

i predict much copying of that style.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #439 on: August 02, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
Yep, my Farseer trilogy has the same style, but not the Liveship Traders (which are still miles better than the american covers, sorry).
Harper Collins has been reissuing all the old editions with these new covers since 2013/14, maybe just as the new trilogy was starting to be published.
There had to be an advantage to me arriving *very* late for the Robin Hobb train, hehe

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 02, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »
Yep, my Farseer trilogy has the same style, but not the Liveship Traders (which are still miles better than the american covers, sorry).
Harper Collins has been reissuing all the old editions with these new covers since 2013/14, maybe just as the new trilogy was starting to be published.
There had to be an advantage to me arriving *very* late for the Robin Hobb train, hehe
Which ones are which?  :P

I hate these:

and think these three sets are good to okay:

We have a mix of the hideous ones and the first of the second trio. At least they're all the same size though, except for the first two Rain Wilds, which are hardcover versions of the hideous ones.  ::)

The new ones that you've got are marginally better than the best of those three sets, but I'm really picky in general...
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #441 on: August 02, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »
'good to okay'?? 'good to okay'??!! Really? :o
I hate those! Sorry...

I found an image with the 6:

And my Liveship ones are in the style you say you hate:

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 02, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
'good to okay'?? 'good to okay'??!! Really? :o
I hate those! Sorry...

I found an image with the 6:

And my Liveship ones are in the style you say you hate:

Yeah as a group those six are pretty nice, but I'm still not convinced by the little illustrations. I'm being picky though, would have no reservations buying them.  :)

Those liveships ones you posted aren't that bad, but some of the others are horrible. The buck on the one I posted is awful...

On the old ones, it depends on which one but some of them aren't bad. Liveships in particular is fairly decent:

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 03, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
We just bought these, which have nice covers too - though the main reason they're nice is that they're so tactile.

Neither of us have read any Abercrombie before, and we only have the vaguest ideas of what to expect, so that should be fun! The number of physical books we have that I haven't read is getting ridiculous. Must buy more.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:32:46 PM by Raptori »

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #444 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
We just bought these, which have nice covers too - though the main reason they're nice is that they're so tactile.

Neither of us have read any Abercrombie before, and we only have the vaguest ideas of what to expect, so that should be fun! The number of physical books we have that I haven't read is getting ridiculous. Must buy more.

Those are lovely covers to touch, they're the ones we have.  :)

In regards to unread physical books, between @Elfy and myself, there's probably about a hundred in the main library (these include ones that either of us have read, but the other hasn't).  And we bought another 3 books on Friday - it's a sickness  ;D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »

Those are lovely covers to touch, they're the ones we have.  :)

In regards to unread physical books, between @Elfy and myself, there's probably about a hundred in the main library (these include ones that either of us have read, but the other hasn't).  And we bought another 3 books on Friday - it's a sickness  ;D
Haha that's a huge amount, I think we're at about a quarter of that at the moment.

We have a ton of empty space on our shelves now that we've bought new ones, after years of having only one bookshelf and having to be really picky about what we buy due to lack of space. At least we have an excuse to buy more now!  :P

Offline Hedin

« Reply #446 on: August 03, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
We have a ton of empty space on our shelves now that we've bought new ones, after years of having only one bookshelf and having to be really picky about what we buy due to lack of space. At least we have an excuse to buy more now!  :P

I bought two new bookshelves for my new office area.  One of them is already filled up with my non-fantasy fiction books, some non-fiction books, and some of my wife's books.  One I am reserving for all fantasy (still waiting on getting a replacement piece for the part that broke in the initial transit) and I think I'll have it over half full with the stuff I know I want to buy.  I've been working on getting hardcovers of Malazan and then I have the last few WoT books in hardcover so I might work on that whole collection as well.  Just with those that's 2 of the 5 shelves pretty much gone already not counting what I already have.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #447 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »
Speaking of covers, this arrived today:

That is one bad cover, if I had never heard of the book no way I would have picked it up.   The book is also smaller in size than I expected, hopefully it matches everything else I'm ordering.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:13:54 PM by Hedin »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #448 on: August 04, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »
Oh.my.gawd :o
 ;D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #449 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:52 AM »
Speaking of covers, this arrived today:

That is one bad cover, if I had never heard of the book no way I would have picked it up.   The book is also smaller in size than I expected, hopefully it matches everything else I'm ordering.
He's also got one of those back scabbards which are meant to be impossible to use well.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com