October 29, 2020, 08:10:26 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 375015 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #825 on: July 24, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »
I think because effectively e-books cost nothing to produce. They are just data. (I know there are some expenses like royalties etc) but effectively a publisher won't make much of a loss selling them for 99p for a day or month whilst they would with physical books. Also Waterstones are not competing on price, they simply can't do it. If you want cheap paperbacks you go shopping in a supermarket or an online seller like book people or amazon. When you shop in Waterstones, you shop there for the experience. Knowledgeable staff that recommend books, a coffeee while you browse etc. @Nestat will be able to tell you more.
From what I've read, in a big print run the physical printing of paperbacks costs less than a dollar per book. Hardcovers cost only a little more.

Most of the costs associated with producing a book come before printing (or copying for an ebook): acquisitions, editing, cover design, layout, marketing, and so on. Those costs are more or less the same for ebooks or paper books, and from a business perspective ebooks are in no way exempt from covering those costs simply because they lack one of the expenses associated with physical books.

That's not to say that paperbacks could or should be discounted to the same low prices as ebooks, just that they could easily be discounted to a much greater degree than I've seen!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #826 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »
I bought the last book and now I finally have the 4 Rain Wild Chronicles (with the new covers)!
Aren't they lovely?

And looking around the bookshop for something cheap to add up to £10 so I could have a stamp in my loyalty card, I saw these Mr Men bookmarks.
I got Mr Happy ;D

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #827 on: August 05, 2016, 06:15:57 AM »
Why is it that the vast majority of writers I've read on their bios  seem to have had about 50 different jobs and none of them similar to one another is it restless energy? How can you  jump to being a cooks assistant then floral assistant then private detective receptionist for example. I just find it fascinating watching the writer species :-) also there all seem to have pets to keep them sane I think.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #828 on: August 05, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
Why is it that the vast majority of writers I've read on their bios  seem to have had about 50 different jobs and none of them similar to one another is it restless energy? How can you  jump to being a cooks assistant then floral assistant then private detective receptionist for example. I just find it fascinating watching the writer species :-) also there all seem to have pets to keep them sane I think.
I think this is only true for American writers? To me it seems like it's more an American and not a writer thing, because if you check the bios of actors or musicians, they tend to be the same.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #829 on: August 05, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
Yes, and maybe it's stuff they've done for a few months as a summer job when they were really young. Maybe americans think that is a big plus, although for me it's totally irrelevant on a writer's bio.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
Hmm idk I've seen plenty of authors in general have scatterbrained jobs, but loads of people & not just authors have had a lot of random things too. And yes it also puzzles me how they manage to make that jump.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #831 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »

I have to admit that's strange, but I haven't seen it. Which writers are you referring to in particular? I can totally accept that a writer here or there probably had a ton of jobs, but I'm not sure if it's necessarily a "writer" thing to work at a bunch of places in succession.

Now I'm curious who you're talking about so I can go Google their job history.

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #832 on: August 05, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
I'm guessing creative types can't stand still and have to move on  :)

There's quite a few writers I've seen have lot's of jobs but I posted after reading about

Joanne Fluke

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public school teacher, a psychologist, a musician, a private detective's assistant, a corporate, legal, and pharmaceutical secretary, a short order cook, a florist's assistant, a caterer and party planner, a computer consultant on a now-defunct operating system, a production assistant on a TV quiz show, half of a screenwriting team with her husband, and a mother, wife, and homemaker.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:03:04 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
« Reply #833 on: August 05, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
Anyone read or heard of Smoke by Dan Vyleta?

It sounds intriguing but I've heard mixed reactions.

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #834 on: August 14, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »
Isn't it brilliant when a book comes in the post, I ordered a second hand book its turned up as an old library book from America for 5 pounds for book and shipping. I didn't realise it was a limited edition hardback and it cost 49 American dollars brand new.

It came from mendenhall valley library wonder what the area is like?

How far afield have you had a book from? I had one from Japan with Japanese stamp on the parcel that was cool
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:59:07 PM by Eclipse »

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #835 on: August 14, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
Yes, that's cool :)
I don't think I ever bought books from far away, I always try to reduce my 'airmiles' hehe

Edit: there are some books I'd like that are only published in the US, but I wouldn't buy them from there. I feel that it's not really worth it, when the UK has so many books I haven't read yet hehe
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:05:03 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Peat

« Reply #836 on: August 14, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
Isn't it brilliant when a book comes in the post, I ordered a second hand book its turned up as an old library book from America for 5 pounds for book and shipping. I didn't realise it was a limited edition hardback and it cost 49 American dollars brand new.

It came from mendenhall valley library wonder what the area is like?

How far afield have you had a book from? I had one from Japan with Japanese stamp on the parcel that was cool

Google says that's in Alaska.

I occasionally get a book from the States if I can't get it here. Academia only as a rule. Never from further afield though.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #837 on: August 15, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »
As if I didn't have enough unread at home... ::)

I just walked past Waterstone's and there were actually good books in the Buy 1 get 1 Half Price: got N.K.Jemisin's The fifth season and Aliette de Bodard's The house of shattered wings (Mr. J convinced me in the other thread hehe)

Still using the gift card you guys gave me ;D

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
« Reply #838 on: August 15, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
As if I didn't have enough unread at home... ::)

I just walked past Waterstone's and there were actually good books in the Buy 1 get 1 Half Price: got N.K.Jemisin's The fifth season and Aliette de Bodard's The house of shattered wings (Mr. J convinced me in the other thread hehe)

Still using the gift card you guys gave me ;D
Aha! I hope you like it, might take a while to fully get your head around what's going on, but its worth sticking with as it all expands and explains itself as it barrels along.

And I really need to get round to The Fifth Season. Too many damn books to read!

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #839 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:53 AM »
I bought a book 2. After reading book 1, I'm not that interested in continuing. Book 2 hasn't even been opened, it looks perfect. I can't find the receipt, though.
I'm still thinking of going to the shop and say that was a present and can I exchange it please... bad of me?