October 21, 2020, 06:19:54 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 366773 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:46 PM »
Yeah Elfy is right, if you get into the first one you won't be able to stop. Especially since we're here to tell you that the sequels are even better!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #481 on: September 19, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
I noticed a discussion on magic systems going on, these seem to be essentials. Maybe additional awards for winning the Monthly Contest?

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #482 on: September 20, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »
I am so looking forward to this book :D :D
An apprentice to Elves, Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette, on sale Oct 13

Sneak peak:
http://torforgeblog.com/2015/09/16/sneak-peek-an-apprentice-to-elves-by-elizabeth-bear-and-sarah-monette/
(although I'm afraid it won't make much sense to those who haven't read the other 2 before - or at least they won't capture all the nuances)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Yora

« Reply #483 on: September 20, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
I think I have to look into this series. All the descriptions and reviews I found make it sound very weird.
But in a good way.  :D
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #484 on: September 20, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »
very weird. But in a good way.
Exactly this!
And I think it also fits into your 'different settings' question (I can't remember if I'd mentioned them...)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #485 on: September 21, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
Sorry about the double post, but this is super!
(click the image to read properly)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #486 on: September 21, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »
I especially like the warning.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #487 on: September 25, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »
Now that I got through the first quarter of Tome of the Undergates, it's actually starting to get interesting. We finally got the plot hook.
I see why it seems necessary to have considerable buildup before the supernatural element gets introduced. But a full quarter of the whole book is really way too much.
Even though I still don't like it, I am already quite excited about writing a review. Should be fun with so many things to talk about.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #488 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
It seems to be a new 'thing', hiding that a fantasy book is actually set in a 'post-apocalyptic' version of ours, and giving hints through different items from 'the older races'.

Well, I say 'a thing' but it's just the fact that Mark Lawrence did that with Broken Empire. Fine, it was new, it really fit the story so that was good.
But now Abercrombie too with Shattered Seas? There was really no need, it just annoys me (and I hope it doesn't get developed later - I'm currently halfway through book 2).

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #489 on: September 27, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
I actually prefer the post-apoc hints over your standard secondary world Fantasy tripe. But what I love about Joe's new series is that he never explicitly says that it's post-apoc, and I think that's the fine line this new wave of authors has to tread.

No, what I hope dies off is the post-apoc story that comes right after the post-apoc event. (Which is nearly every major YA SFF that comes out these days.) That's no fun. I'd rather look at the longer implications of the event rather than your stock totalitarian state that seems to spring from every single one of them.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #490 on: September 27, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
what I hope dies off is the post-apoc story that comes right after the post-apoc event. (Which is nearly every major YA SFF that comes out these days.) That's no fun.
Oh, definitely!
I don't touch those with a bargepole (sorry, writers!), but I happily read the others :)
It just bugged me when I noticed :-\

Offline Yora

« Reply #491 on: September 27, 2015, 09:10:15 PM »
It seems to be a new 'thing', hiding that a fantasy book is actually set in a 'post-apocalyptic' version of ours, and giving hints through different items from 'the older races'.
This is not a new thing. It's actually a pretty old thing. And I absolute hate it. To me it's almost as bad is "It was just a dream". It retroactively ruins the entire story for me and makes it impossible for me to enjoy it. If I know that this is the case, I refuse to look at the story entirely.

When you start a story you are making a promise to the audience. Breaking that promise is absolutely unacceptable. Actively decieving the audience is unforgivable.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #492 on: September 27, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »
This is not a new thing. It's actually a pretty old thing. And I absolute hate it. To me it's almost as bad is "It was just a dream". It retroactively ruins the entire story for me and makes it impossible for me to enjoy it. If I know that this is the case, I refuse to look at the story entirely.

When you start a story you are making a promise to the audience. Breaking that promise is absolutely unacceptable. Actively decieving the audience is unforgivable.
In a way, what I'm referring to and the examples I mentioned are slightly different from that trope. The 'earth all along' here isn't used as a solution or an explanation, but rather just the background/world setting.
So while I agree that what you describe *is* a cop-out, I may actually mean something different.

Oh dear, I'm not making much sense, am I? ::)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #493 on: September 27, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

Well, I say 'a thing' but it's just the fact that Mark Lawrence did that with Broken Empire. Fine, it was new, it really fit the story so that was good.
But now Abercrombie too with Shattered Seas? There was really no need, it just annoys me (and I hope it doesn't get developed later - I'm currently halfway through book 2).
The first fantasy book I remember doing that was Sword of Shannara by Brooks. There's also been hints that the world in Wheel of Time is ours many years after some apocalyptic event. I think John Christopher did it in one of his series and Obernewtyn is also set in that kind of world, in fact Broken Empire reminded me very much of the setting for Obernewtyn. I like the way both Steven Boyett in Ariel and Elegy Beach and SM Stirling in his Change books have the apocalypse be something we don't expect. In Boyett's books it's technology being replaced by magic and with Stirling all advanced technology simply stops working.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #494 on: September 28, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »
Soon after the bit that made me write my first post on this, I came to a scene that seemed copied out of Indiana Jones (the Raiders one). Ok, not, copied, but inspired by, based on,...
There it made me laugh, because the audience knew the setting - here in the book it just made me groan ::)

But to be fair to Joe - the audience of these books are people whose parents were young when that movie was first released, so..
I think I'll stick with non-YA in the future :-\