October 21, 2020, 05:24:50 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 366759 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #450 on: August 04, 2015, 01:20:10 PM »
Speaking of covers, this arrived today:

That is one bad cover, if I had never heard of the book no way I would have picked it up.   The book is also smaller in size than I expected, hopefully it matches everything else I'm ordering.
He's also got one of those back scabbards which are meant to be impossible to use well.

For the life of me I can't even figure out who the people on the cover are even supposed to be. 

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #451 on: August 04, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
The wheel of time covers in our local library have similar covers. Weird people galore and
Spoiler for Hiden:
a medieval cliche fantasy world instead of post-apocalyptic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #452 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »
The wheel of time covers in our local library have similar covers. Weird people galore and
Spoiler for Hiden:
I present you the worst cover of the German wheel of time books.

It's from this special category of covers known as 'nothing to do with the book but supposed to hook potential readers'. Which almost never work (and is thus luckily a dying out category).

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #453 on: August 04, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:

It's from this special category of covers known as 'nothing to do with the book but supposed to hook potential readers'. Which almost never work (and is thus luckily a dying out category).

What do you mean? I totally remember knights assaulting a nude woman in that book.  :P

Offline Hedin

« Reply #454 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:

To paraphrase Bea: wtf?  :o

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #455 on: August 04, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »
Are those supposed to be jet contrails above the dark knights?
The shadows on the grass don't make a lot of sense, really.
And what exactly is the silvery penumbra with three legs?

Beyond those questions, I'm not sure what you all are complaining about.  ;) ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #456 on: August 04, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
He's also got one of those back scabbards which are meant to be impossible to use well.

You can see by the stretch of his arm how they are impossible to work like that unless you have a 2 metre arm.
Why would you wear full plate harness and forgo a helmet?
The lady needs to see her armourer and get the rest of her harness or at least see if they do an off the shoulder number for eveningwear.

The wheel of time cover wouldn't have been authorised for the UK or USA because boobs, or more specifically nipples. If it could of been she would have been much, much bigger.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #457 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
You have the see the face of the guy up close too, it almost looks like someone cut out a face from magazine and put it on there.  I'm now really excited to get the rest of my books in from the series and see what other surprises are waiting once I get to look at the covers up close.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #458 on: August 04, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »
You have the see the face of the guy up close too, it almost looks like someone cut out a face from magazine and put it on there.  I'm now really excited to get the rest of my books in from the series and see what other surprises are waiting once I get to look at the covers up close.

They're all pretty much the same, though Deadhouse Gates is slightly prettier.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #459 on: August 04, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »

Are they all a little smaller than a normal hardback in size?  I'm now terrified that this one will not match any of the other used ones I'm ordering.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #460 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
You have the see the face of the guy up close too, it almost looks like someone cut out a face from magazine and put it on there. 

Yes it does and it is too small for the armour. I was really trying not to look that closely. Does it read better than it looks?

Offline Hedin

« Reply #461 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
You have the see the face of the guy up close too, it almost looks like someone cut out a face from magazine and put it on there. 

Yes it does and it is too small for the armour. I was really trying not to look that closely. Does it read better than it looks?

Much better.  The cover doesn't convey any information about the story at all, its pretty much generic fantasy cover 101.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #462 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »

Are they all a little smaller than a normal hardback in size?  I'm now terrified that this one will not match any of the other used ones I'm ordering.

All of mine (except the last 2, which were a different printing) are all that height and width (though the girth from front cover to back cover varies to the point that some of them look a bit ridiculous.)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2015, 01:09:23 AM »
Whoever did the German WoT covers obviously thought that they were very pulpy S&S stories published decades earlier.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #464 on: August 08, 2015, 05:28:15 AM »
Didn't notice this thread got stickied, went through like 5 pages looking for it.

The replacement piece for the broken piece of my new bookshelf came in so I spent the evening putting that together.   After I had put my books on it I stood back and figured out what I know that I want to buy (been holding back on buying physical books for awhile as I was out of space at the old house and didn't want to move more than I had to).  I came to a really quick realization that I'm going to need another bookshelf before the end if the year and how am I going to explain that to the wife.