December 04, 2020, 11:11:24 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 401859 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
Cheap books to complete a series... vs. groceries.
You can't read groceries.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2015, 05:50:48 PM »
Cheap books to complete a series... vs. groceries.
You can't read groceries.  ;)
lies! I read this amazing story on my lamb meat package...oh oops >.>

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #332 on: April 19, 2015, 01:43:05 AM »
hehehe
And to show I'm impartial, I'm currently reading a book where a goat is a key character and I've just bought 2 books featuring dragons ;D
(wolfs will come later, I'm sure)

Great day, because in the charity shop where I volunteer there are never 'good books' (i.e. fantasy), but today someone made a donation and I caught 2 even before they hit the shelves: Naomi Novik's Temeraire, which had been recommended to me here.
I got that one and number 2 in the series - they also got 3 and 4, but I didn't get them this time... should I?
Read the first two and see how you feel about them first. They start off strong and fun, but IMO, have been on a decline for a while now.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #333 on: April 19, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
Thanks, Elfy.

Yesterday I rearranged all my fantasy shelves, to accommodate all the new books I got.
Today I rearranged my non-fantasy shelves and decided to get rid of 12 books that I know I won't ever read again (Bridget Jones, Ben Elton, teen stuff, etc, and just plain boring ones) - I want more space for fantasy ;D
So off to the charity shop with them next week!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #334 on: April 20, 2015, 12:15:04 AM »
Thanks, Elfy.

Yesterday I rearranged all my fantasy shelves, to accommodate all the new books I got.
Today I rearranged my non-fantasy shelves and decided to get rid of 12 books that I know I won't ever read again (Bridget Jones, Ben Elton, teen stuff, etc, and just plain boring ones) - I want more space for fantasy ;D
We really need to do another reorg of our library. We may even find out copy of Charming and The Reformed Vampire Support Group with the cool cover.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #335 on: April 22, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »
Thanks, Elfy.

I'm actually doing this myself right now.  We're getting our house ready to sell and so I'm having to pack up my books and put my bookshelf in storage to make it look like we have more space.  There are a lot of books that I was into 15 years ago that I don't think I would ever read or would really be eager to pass them on to my daughter (and any future kids) so I'm making a bunch of keep and sell/donate piles.  Happily the majority are going into the keep pile but I keep looking at the space being freed up and anticipating a shopping spree when we finally move.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #336 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
See, I know you're supposed to turn your house into something that 'appeals to everyone' when you're trying to sell, but if I was viewing one and it had massive bookshelves, it would really predispose me favourably to get that one :)
Sometimes when watching the 'Location'-type programs I just think how bookshelf space is being so awfully squandered by people, hehe

Anyway, going through books is a good feeling, isn't it?
Yesterday I was actually looking at my 'office' room, at a space currently just with my recycling boxes, and thinking that would fit a new shelf set perfectly - and then I could move some of non-fantasy books from the living room to there, and get more space for fantasy in the main space, not double-stacked, and and...
A trip to Ikea is in order :D

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #337 on: April 22, 2015, 07:23:31 PM »
Just had to share this  8)

What do you think... are they yelling "kawabunga!" or "holy cr*p!"?

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #338 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
They don't seem particularly scared, hehe

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
They don't seem particularly scared, hehe
One vote for kawabunga!
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:12 AM »
Going through books is the best way to unintentionally waste time.   It has felt like every book I have touched I have to read a chapter or two (or more)  before I can sort it.   It especially seems so with the books I plan on giving away as this will probably be the last time I get to read them.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2015, 11:10:33 PM »
I was catching up with an old friend via brief emails today. I've mentioned him before; he was an editor for SFF at a major publisher and had a lot of involvement in various Star Wars books.

I thought my forum friends might get a slight chuckle plus he has a word of encouragement we an all use:
One bit of context, his wife Linda is also a friend.

Yes, I’m aware of the “Sad Puppies” campaign, though I haven’t personally voted on the Hugos for decades (I *accepted* one somewhere around 1995). Linda won’t know what you're talking about: Bob Silverberg identified her as my “Stealth Wife” as we filed in for that ceremony. But keep writing: find something that you really believe in and then pour it on.

Bob Silverberg. As in Robert Silverberg. As in SF grandmaster.  Name dropper :p :)

Meanwhile, I'm all about his last comment. Pour it on.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »
I was catching up with an old friend via brief emails today. I've mentioned him before; he was an editor for SFF at a major publisher and had a lot of involvement in various Star Wars books.

I thought my forum friends might get a slight chuckle plus he has a word of encouragement we an all use:

Yes, I’m aware of the “Sad Puppies” campaign, though I haven’t personally voted on the Hugos for decades (I *accepted* one somewhere around 1995). Linda won’t know what you're talking about: Bob Silverberg identified her as my “Stealth Wife” as we filed in for that ceremony. But keep writing: find something that you really believe in and then pour it on.

Bob Silverberg. As in Robert Silverberg. As in SF grandmaster.  Name dropper :p :)

Robert Silverberg, or Bob as people who know him call him, has the most marvellous speaking voice, he should have been an actor or a voice over guy. He also gives some of the funniest speeches at the Hugos where he often presents. I still fondly remember him comparing editors to wombats, and the editors came off second best.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »

I have no idea who that is...  :-[
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2015, 07:48:24 AM »
You're not alone Raptori - sometimes I feel I seriously lack in all fantasy background/sidenotes...
Then again, that hasn't stopped me from enjoying books, so I don't care very much, hehe

I love this, though "find something that you really believe in and then pour it on" --> this is for living, not just for writing :)