October 28, 2020, 05:19:26 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 374951 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: Miscellaneous Musings
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »
Lol that's a bit of an odd one. We call American football "hand-and-occasionally-foot-egg" to piss off our American friends though, so I guess I can't talk...  :D
Aussie Rules has gained a foothold elsewhere. They seem to like it in Japan oddly enough, and New Zealand of course, although they still love their rugby (union then league in that order), there's a league made up of expats in the US, and one in the UK. I have a cousin who played a few seasons of AFL and played in England for a while when he was over there working and studying.
I'm not surprised, people like to do crazy things  :P

Actually I remember being surprised when one of my friends at school joined an American football team that played in a local league... had no idea that it was even close to being popular enough for leagues to form. The number of people in the world is insane, so it shouldn't be a surprise when there are a load of people with the same (relatively) niche interests all over the place.
Oh there's a World NFL league. It's fairly big, too. It's how a few players who eventually transition into the NFL in the States start their careers. I think the aforementioned Darren Bennet may have played for one of the teams in the World League prior to taking over kicking duties for San Diego. They quite often get world class sprinters to play for NFL teams. Carl Lewis was offered a spot and declined on the grounds that he made more money out of athletics, and I believe a gold medallist for one of the US Olympic teams already had an NFL contract when he won the medal, so that was really just gravy for him. NZ rugby legend Jonah Lomu was also seriously looked at by the NFL and two other Aussie Rules players Ben Graham (Geelong) and Saverio Rocca (Collingwood and North Melbourne) had decent careers as kickers in the NFL after they finished their AFL careers. That's one thing I find lacking in fantasy at times, mention of sport. It may be why I swim against the stream in really liking the Quidditch sequences in Harry Potter.
Interesting, I've never even heard of it! :D

And yeah, I always liked the Quidditch scenes, didn't even realise that people generally did not... they were a bit crap in the films, but then again so was everything else!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »
Last time I was over here I remember posting how I was pleasantly surprised about translated fantasy books in the main Portuguese bookshops.
I now retract that thought.
It's awful, at least it's my assumption from the covers - 90% names I don't recognise... Could it be mostly urban fantasy?

And that's around Lisbon, @ScarletBea . Finding decent Fantasy novels in the Algarve, especially near Tavira where I live, is practically impossible. And when something does come up, it is either a yucky translation, or an unappealing for me.

I can't state how thankful I am for e-readers (I know you disagree)  ;)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
Another advantage of emmigrating, no need for e-readers ;)

And because I was away during the biscuit-saga and couldn't reply properly, I now contribute with the picture of a lovely tasty portuguese biscuit which doesn't exist anywhere else in the world, and that I more or less stock up on when I go there (honestly, I'm now afraid to go near the scales after this week, hehe - 5k run tomorrow, right away, hehe).
They're called "deer's tongues ;D

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »

And because I was away during the biscuit-saga and couldn't reply properly, I now contribute with the picture of a lovely tasty portuguese biscuit which doesn't exist anywhere else in the world, and that I more or less stock up on when I go there (honestly, I'm now afraid to go near the scales after this week, hehe - 5k run tomorrow, right away, hehe).

It go nice with a cup of tea  ;) tea on the mind today   ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:09:51 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2015, 12:58:33 AM »

It go nice with a cup of tea  ;) tea on the mind today   ;D

Línguas de Veado! I love those  ;D And yeah, they're great with tea or coffee. Portuguese pastries are among the best  ;)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »
Portuguese pastries are among the best  ;)
As proven by the mile-long queue outside Pasteis de Belem last Friday :'( I went back home and got other cakes and biscuits, also as good, hehe

-----------------------------------

I've just realised I won't have any books for Peter V Brett to sign at the Grim Gathering, since I read his from the library.
So, shall I buy the 3 now, expecting to re-read them one day, and get them signed as a bonus? I gave them 4 stars, but many little things left me cold and I hated the literal cliff-hanger... On the other hand everyone (ie Arry and Marc) is saying how amazing and much better Skull Throne is, so potentially I will want to keep the 5-books series for posterity...

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
Portuguese pastries are among the best  ;)
As proven by the mile-long queue outside Pasteis de Belem last Friday :'( I went back home and got other cakes and biscuits, also as good, hehe

-----------------------------------

I've just realised I won't have any books for Peter V Brett to sign at the Grim Gathering, since I read his from the library.
So, shall I buy the 3 now, expecting to re-read them one day, and get them signed as a bonus? I gave them 4 stars, but many little things left me cold... On the other hand everyone is saying how amazing and much better Skull Throne is, so potentially I will want to keep the 5-books series for posterity...
It's £0.01 plus £3 delivery on amazon (here) if you're ok with second hand. Usually they're excellent quality.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
Now, how did you manage to reply to a question I did on another thread, in this thread?
I thought you were pointing me to Brett's books and ended up on Gardens of the Moon ;D ;D

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2015, 12:02:09 PM »
Now, how did you manage to reply to a question I did on another thread, in this thread?
I thought you were pointing me to Brett's books and ended up on Gardens of the Moon ;D ;D
Err... no idea?  :o I had a load of different tabs open, must've clicked back on the wrong one somehow!  :-[

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »
Wow you're even worse than me ;D I usually also have a few tabs open, but it's only one for each site hehe

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
Wow you're even worse than me ;D I usually also have a few tabs open, but it's only one for each site hehe
Yeah I open all the unread posts at once, each in their own tab. Far more efficient that way...

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
Yeah I open all the unread posts at once, each in their own tab. Far more efficient that way...
I do the same. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2015, 12:30:18 AM »
I do the same. :)

Me too. I often don't remember what topic I'm reading because I tend to jump between them while scrolled halfway down the page.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:42 AM »
My logical brain is having a meltdown at the moment
*does... not... compute... *

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
My logical brain is having a meltdown at the moment
*does... not... compute... *

The worst part is I just today noticed the topic header is at the top of each individual post. Guess I'd gotten so used to it I blocked it out.