October 30, 2020, 01:25:58 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 375866 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1620 on: September 04, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
Smiler's fair is dark too, btw. Not Grimdark, though. And it has a fascinating world building.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #1621 on: September 05, 2020, 07:18:33 AM »
Jumping into what ScarletBea was saying about the pressures of reading loads of book each month, & this feeling like you were being excluded by other members because of it,

I was a pretty regular member quite a few years back, but no one (except maybe Elfy) seemed to read the same things I did, so there was no actual conversations I could really join.
I’d start a thread about something not Grimdark or SciFi, get no responses & I eventually stopped coming here cos it was upsetting that no one wanted to talk to me.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1622 on: September 05, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
Aawww poor Lejays, I'm so sorry you felt like that :(

I noticed in the other thread that you like humour in the books, have you read David MacPherson's Here be dragons?
He's @OnlyOneHighlander here, used to participate in the monthly contest (hope he returns!) and this book is great and super funny!

And have you read the latest Lady Trent book (with her granddaughter)? There's a thread about her books too - we might have actually changed now and there's a wide range of genres being talked about here :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:17:11 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #1623 on: September 05, 2020, 10:54:27 AM »
I second Here Be Dragons. A very fun book :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1624 on: September 05, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
I was a pretty regular member quite a few years back, but no one (except maybe Elfy) seemed to read the same things I did, so there was no actual conversations I could really join.
I’d start a thread about something not Grimdark or SciFi, get no responses & I eventually stopped coming here cos it was upsetting that no one wanted to talk to me.
That does sound distressing! I can't promise that I've read the books you like, but I don't like either grimdark or scifi, so...  ;)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #1625 on: September 05, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
That does sound distressing! I can't promise that I've read the books you like, but I don't like either grimdark or scifi, so...  ;)

K.J Parker can be very dark what was the story of the two brothers ,where one gifted a bow to the other

Spoiler for Hiden:
murdered his nephew and used the body parts to make a bow
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #1626 on: September 05, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »
Big fan of Smiler's Fair.  I read the second book quite soon after, and since then nothing.  Another book missing in the dream library along with Winds of Winter and Doors of Stone. 

I definitely struggle to read these days - I blame the internet.  So easy to get lost browsing.  I remember a point thinking it was annoying that I read a book in 3 or 4 days whilst other people took a few weeks.   :oNow I wish i was that person again!
The Real Powers That Be

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1627 on: September 05, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
Big fan of Smiler's Fair.  I read the second book quite soon after, and since then nothing.  Another book missing in the dream library along with Winds of Winter and Doors of Stone. 

@Nighteyes , did you notice what I wrote before?
Book 3 is coming next month!
Oh, actually I just did a quick google search and book 3 is set to be published in October, according to the publisher's page!

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #1628 on: September 06, 2020, 12:13:41 AM »
What do you guys think of Adrian Shelby's Snakewood and Rebecca Levine's Smiler's Fair? I've stumbled across these two books at a promo in an online book fair I'm visiting, so I'm wondering if they're gonna be worth a buck.
The first is on my TBR list, so I look forward to opinions too.

I've read the second one, and book 2 as well, and I enjoyed it (4/4.5 stars).
I can't exactly remember (what else is new?), but I think it works well as a standalone too. Good because it's supposed to be a trilogy but these books were published in 2014 and 2016 and there's no book 3 yet.

Oh, actually I just did a quick google search and book 3 is set to be published in October, according to the publisher's page!
(and that page has got a quote from the Fantasy Faction review, yay!)

Gotcha.  Can someone post a summary of what happened in Book 1 and 2 though!!!!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1629 on: September 06, 2020, 12:23:38 AM »
K.J Parker can be very dark what was the story of the two brothers ,where one gifted a bow to the other...

Gosh, yes, that was in Belly of the Bow. Yes, Parker can be dark, and I enjoy his work. And I do like Abercrombie. I have a theory that I'm ok with grimdark if it's leavened with appropriate humour (which I feel both Parker and Abercrombie do) and also about interrogating the horror and toxicity of violence et al, but I think I'm going to need to read some Anna Smith Spark to confirm this theory, and it's taking me a while to work down my list to her stuff.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1630 on: September 06, 2020, 05:53:22 AM »
Gotcha.  Can someone post a summary of what happened in Book 1 and 2 though!!!!
I really need this too :-[

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1631 on: September 06, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »
K.J Parker can be very dark what was the story of the two brothers ,where one gifted a bow to the other...

Gosh, yes, that was in Belly of the Bow. Yes, Parker can be dark, and I enjoy his work. And I do like Abercrombie. I have a theory that I'm ok with grimdark if it's leavened with appropriate humour (which I feel both Parker and Abercrombie do) and also about interrogating the horror and toxicity of violence et al, but I think I'm going to need to read some Anna Smith Spark to confirm this theory, and it's taking me a while to work down my list to her stuff.

Anna Smith Spark's Court of Broken Knives isn't really funny, though, nothing like Abercrombie. (I've read both) If you liked absolutely demented protagonist, though, definitely go for it.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1632 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
What does everyone think of Evan Winter's Rage of Dragons? It seemed to be all the hype on the facebook group, so I was really wondering.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1633 on: September 06, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
What does everyone think of Evan Winter's Rage of Dragons? It seemed to be all the hype on the facebook group, so I was really wondering.

I hadn't heard of it, but looking over it on GoodReads, my opinion of the summary was "meh" - doesn't sound like my thing at all. Endless war, brutal murder, grief anger revenge, yawn. BUT it's African-inspired worldbuilding from a black author ("Born in England to South American parents, Evan Winter was raised in Africa near the historical territory of his Xhosa ancestors...") and there's a review from Rick Riordan (whose opinion on stories I value) calling it "rich and complex". He also highlights the quick pace and expands on the eternal-war elements, so I'm still thinking this isn't my cup of tea, but it sounds like it might be a really interesting read for those who like that sort of thing more than I do! (If I get a chance, I might still pick it up, because I'm now curious about the worldbuilding elements.)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #1634 on: September 06, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »

Anna Smith Spark's Court of Broken Knives isn't really funny, though, nothing like Abercrombie. (I've read both) If you liked absolutely demented protagonist, though, definitely go for it.

There are a few bits that made me chuckle, but it's not as openly sarcastic as Abercrombie. It does absolutely interrogate the nature of violence and toxic relationships though.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex