November 15, 2019, 01:09:03 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 250204 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1410 on: August 24, 2019, 08:23:02 AM »
I think the connatations about magic and those who practise it has a lot to do with dominant religion as soon as you get a dominant religion which says 'my truth is the only truth' anything else is a threat and must be declared herasy.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 02, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
Book size...

I was reading my book in a meeting room on my lunch break, get some silence and quiet, and one of the managers passed by and commented on it. One of the things he said was that "it was a very big book"! But the current one is average, leaning on the lower side, as it's around 480 pages (I consider 500 the average).
Are really most books much smaller?
Thinking back into shops, maybe normal fiction books are around 250-300, right?

It's funny ;D

I'll go show him a Malazan when I restart reading them ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #1412 on: September 02, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »
I tend to think of 350 pages as average for a modern book. Older books could quite comfortably be 200 pages without anyone batting an eyelid, but these days even the 200-page Agatha Christies are stretched out to 350 pages for reprints, with underhand tricks like really wide line-spacing, and starting every chapter on a right-hand page.

Fantasy is a different story, though. 350 pages is pretty short for a fantasy. I would say 4-500 is more of a standard range, with anything over 500 being "long". And also "annoying to read in paperback".

I feel the growth in page size is a result of technology (the move to word-processors) and justifying ever higher cover prices. I kind of like the fact that ebooks have made other lengths, such as novellas, more commercially practical again.

Offline isos81

« Reply #1413 on: September 02, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »
Many fantasy books are over 400-500 pages, not to mention over 1000 pages book.

My wife read a lot books, too, and none of which are fantasy. I never saw her read books over 300 pages :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1414 on: September 02, 2019, 01:58:28 PM »
Book size.

It was a strange experience buying the 4 Murderbot novellas. So good. So short. So expensive.
And then buying To Green Angel Tower, clocking in at two volumes, a combined 1,104 pages in paperback. So good, so long, so cheap.

I think book size can either get the author in trouble (ASOIAF... way too many characters) or dig them out of trouble (Green Angel Tower again... add a whole lot of good stuff). Or in the case of the lightning quick Murderbot books, give the story a driving pace that a bigger canvas would slow down.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 03, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »
For a paperback, I consider 400 to be about average. For a hardback, more than 600 feels long.

One thing I do notice is that fantasy books tend to be a lot longer than sci-fi.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1416 on: September 03, 2019, 03:30:23 PM »
Book size.

It was a strange experience buying the 4 Murderbot novellas. So good. So short. So expensive.
And then buying To Green Angel Tower, clocking in at two volumes, a combined 1,104 pages in paperback. So good, so long, so cheap.

I think book size can either get the author in trouble (ASOIAF... way too many characters) or dig them out of trouble (Green Angel Tower again... add a whole lot of good stuff). Or in the case of the lightning quick Murderbot books, give the story a driving pace that a bigger canvas would slow down.

When I had to pay more cash for a thinner book than a thick book it kind of irked me too, despite knowing the quality of the story. The way books are priced are just a total enigma to me.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 03, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
Book size.

When I had to pay more cash for a thinner book than a thick book it kind of irked me too, despite knowing the quality of the story. The way books are priced are just a total enigma to me.

Page count does come into it. For books priced between 7.99 and 9.99, I there seems to be an increase at 4,5,600 pages. That's largely down to the cost of the binding process. More pages = more costly binding. Trade paperbacks cost more than mass market because of size, and hardbacks cost more due to material. As for novellas, I imagine they are priced more highly due to lower print runs. Hardback novellas in particular seem to be treated as semi-collector's items.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1418 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »
Word count please. Page count hugely varies between different paper formats and is meaningless for ebooks. I wish Amazon would use word count. Some non-fiction ebooks are padded to seem larger. Graphic novels or mainly illustrated books need to be physically flipped. Word count or pages tells you nothing about them.

The size says nothing about quality in any genre, though Detective & Romance tend to be shorter. Many Romance & Detective novels might be great and only qualify as a novella in modern Fantasy terms.   SF has got longer since 1950s. Thrillers tend to medium sized.

The length is whatever is needed to tell the story.  I never have a target word count. Nor should any author unless writing for newspapers or magazines.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 18, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Wow, an interview with a fantasy author in a mainstream newspaper!

Joe Abercrombie in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/17/joe-abercrombie-you-can-get-women-into-any-story-if-you-think-about-it-for-10-seconds

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1420 on: September 18, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
Wow, an interview with a fantasy author in a mainstream newspaper!

Joe Abercrombie in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/17/joe-abercrombie-you-can-get-women-into-any-story-if-you-think-about-it-for-10-seconds

I mean, wow, I read through the entire interview. It's seriously amazing that a fantasy author would get this level of press, and I think what Joe said is really inspirational and rang true to budding writers as well. *two thumbs up*  8)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #1421 on: September 18, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
I'm pretty excited to see what Joe does with this new trilogy. Quite a few of the ideas he mentioned in that article seem very interesting.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 29, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
Oh I love when this happens!
John Gwynne's book 2 of the new series, A time of blood, was supposed to be published in paperback next week, Oct 3. Yesterday I passed by a Waterstone's and they alread had it :D
Of course I bought it!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 01, 2019, 05:26:41 PM »
Oh I love when this happens!
John Gwynne's book 2 of the new series, A time of blood, was supposed to be published in paperback next week, Oct 3. Yesterday I passed by a Waterstone's and they alread had it :D
Of course I bought it!

I know I'm not supposed to do it, because early copies on shelves adversely affect overall sales, but I can't resist picking them up either. If I don't someone else will.  :-[

Right now I'm looking at my tbr stack and desperately trying to finish off a few series before starting anything new.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 01, 2019, 05:48:38 PM »
early copies on shelves adversely affect overall sales
Oh, this is the first time I hear this, what exactly do you mean?