November 12, 2018, 10:47:22 PM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 179659 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1320 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
Did anyone see that Gardner Dozois has passed away? He put together some amazing anthologies over the years.
I have quite a few of his anthologies and the stories are usually all good. He introduced me to new writers as well as ones I knew being in the collections.   Seems he was well liked and respected by many authors because a couple of the anthologies were fund raisers to help his medical expenses, and the intros showed how glad they were to help out.
The genre lost another big name last week with the passing of Harlan Ellison.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #1321 on: July 03, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
That's more than fine with me, Bea! I'm thrilled to hear that a library somewhere has pre-ordered it - that's genuinely amazing!

Thank you!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 03, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
I think my town has got quite a large fantasy-reading population (maybe because of the university), because the SFF section is huge and they always get the latest books :D

Also, maybe more people do as I do, that when they have book 1 of a series and if I see they're not getting the rest, I do a request, and normally it's followed through.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:30:38 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 19, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
I can't help myself!
I go to a Waterstone's, see someone browsing in the SFF section with a puzzled look, and I have to recommend books to them ;D 8)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1324 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
Arghhh. I had this horrible habit of purchasing an entire series based on how the plot intrigues me, the good ratings/ recommendations, or just a general good feeling. I'm now DNF'ing a series that I've read only 4 out of the 7 books I've bought. What a waste (curses #*%@).  :( The series was just too bad to continue, though, in addition to the couple I've shipped also ending up crashing.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 23, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
Oooh that's not good, Inky!
Which series was it?

I normally just buy book by book (halfway through one, if I'm really liking it, I buy the next).

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1326 on: July 23, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
Oooh that's not good, Inky!
Which series was it?

I normally just buy book by book (halfway through one, if I'm really liking it, I buy the next).
A YA series, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass. A few years back I saw it at the local bookstore, and it is fantasy and seemed quite popular, so I just bought the whole thing. (my bad) The first and second books (and prequel) were actually quite decent, but from book 3 onwards it dipped in quality quite rapidly. I've seriously gotto stop doing this.  :-X

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
Reading the Greatcoats series now.

Main character is called Falcio.
That's pronounced Fal-see-o, right? A C before an E or I is pronounced 'see', that's the rule.

Throughout book 2 there's a storyteller who tells the story of the big Falsio who did this and that.
I thought: that is strange, it's pronounced Fal-see-o, that's the same.

Later you see the real one complaining that his name is Fal-key-o!
Argh!!!
You can not say Falcio as Fal-key-o, it goes against all the rules and my brain >:(
I'll continue to say Fal-see-o in my brain anyway,  :P Sebastien!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 25, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
I originally read it as 'fal-chee-o', as it sounds like an italian name to me (though I now realise that it's latin, if it's meant to be read as fal-key-o). Brings me back to the discussion I had with my partner about Jorg's correct pronunciation in The Broken Empire  ;D
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #1329 on: July 25, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
Arghhh. I had this horrible habit of purchasing an entire series based on how the plot intrigues me, the good ratings/ recommendations, or just a general good feeling.
I used to buy the first two or three books impulsively like that. But I got burnt a few times, too.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 25, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
(though I now realise that it's latin, if it's meant to be read as fal-key-o).
Oh, so in latin you don't get the whole "C before I and E" thing? I thought the rule came from latin (but I never learnt latin...)

Brings me back to the discussion I had with my partner about Jorg's correct pronunciation in The Broken Empire  ;D
I thought that too, hehe
Sorry Mark, even though you've told me the right way, he will always and forever be "Yorg" to me, not "George" ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:04:44 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #1331 on: July 26, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »
(though I now realise that it's latin, if it's meant to be read as fal-key-o).
Oh, so in latin you don't get the whole "C before I and E" thing? I thought the rule came from latin (but I never learnt latin...)

Brings me back to the discussion I had with my partner about Jorg's correct pronunciation in The Broken Empire  ;D
I thought that too, hehe
Sorry Mark, even though you've told me the right way, he will always and forever be "Yorg" to me, not "George" ;D

Wasn't it intended as George, but then pronounced as Yorg and Jorg in UK and US Audiobooks respectively? I went with Jorg from the off. Sounds more uncouth and fit with the absolute bar-steward of a character he is  ;D
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1332 on: July 26, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
I find it amazing how strongly we attach to pronunciations - even of words/names we'll almost never say out loud. I saw a meme that admonished people not to ridicule people who mispronounce words - it's because they discovered them while reading - a noble endeavor :)
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 26, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
I saw a meme that admonished people not to ridicule people who mispronounce words - it's because they discovered them while reading - a noble endeavor :)
I saw that too, really interesting!
And I sort of lived that yesterday: while doing a walk with a friend there was a tourist board and I read out loud the key message, that mentioned a village nearby. Turns out I was saying it all wrong, hehe

(Mytholmroyd, if you're wondering)

As for the characters' names, it just shows that they become really close to the reader, a friend, and you wouldn't want others to say their names wrong :)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:31 PM »
I saw a meme that admonished people not to ridicule people who mispronounce words - it's because they discovered them while reading - a noble endeavor :)
I saw that too, really interesting!
And I sort of lived that yesterday: while doing a walk with a friend there was a tourist board and I read out loud the key message, that mentioned a village nearby. Turns out I was saying it all wrong, hehe

(Mytholmroyd, if you're wondering)

As for the characters' names, it just shows that they become really close to the reader, a friend, and you wouldn't want others to say their names wrong :)

My biggest funny on this was “facetious.” It was a favorite word when I was a teenager. (Right?) and I pronounced it correctly.

But when I read it in print, I didn’t recognize it, and pronounced it “fa-see-tee-us.”
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)