September 30, 2020, 08:36:19 PM

Author Topic: Military fantasy  (Read 1073 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Military fantasy
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:55:18 AM »
I’m looking for military squad based stories I’ve read the ones below already.

Erikson, Malazan
Cook, Black Company
K.J. Parker, Various
Ian C Esslemont, Malazan
Janny Wurts , War of light and Shadow
Miles Cameron , The Traitors Son Cycle
Django Wexler, The Shadow Campaign
R Scott Bakker , The Darkness that comes before ( DNF)
Tom Lloyd, Twilight Reign
Paul Kearney , The Macht
Joe Abercrombie, First Law
Jim Butcher, Codex Alera
Elizabeth Moon, Deeds of Paksenarrion (struggled with this one)
David Gemmell, Legend
Brian McClellan, Powder Mage (DNF)
Myke Cole, Shadow ops (DNF)

Not interested in Way of the Kings by Sanderson as he will take too long to finish the series.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:33:02 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Military fantasy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:20:59 AM »
I haven't read him, but usually Mike Cole is classified as a superb military fantasy writer (having been in the army himself and all that...)

Sidenote: do you know that series "Hunted", where people have to hide from a group of investigators trying to find them? He's doing the american version of it ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
Ha I know I forgot someone, I didn’t realise I’ve read so many military stuff till I made the list 😀

I watched a UK hunted episode with Anneka Rice in it a strange show haha.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »
Ha I know I forgot someone, I didn’t realise I’ve read so many military stuff till I made the list 😀

Who would you suggest among the ones you read?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Peat

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:08:09 PM »
Maybe Feist's Serpentwar Saga. It's part of a far bigger series, but that particular arc is very heavily focused on a military org and war (with a big side helping of trading empire that takes over a lot of one book). Or maybe read the King's Buccaneer, which is kinda like a prologue to the whole thing anyway and has a similar vibe (and is one book vs 4, so you can make decisions quicker).

Mercedes Lackey's By The Sword might interest you as well.

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »

Who would you suggest among the ones you read?

http://jonathanstrahan.podbean.com/e/episode-264-glen-cook-and-steven-erikson/

No Malazan without the Black Company

Quote by Steven Erikson

“With the Black Company series Glen Cook single-handedly changed the face of fantasy—something a lot of people didn’t notice and maybe still don’t. He brought the story down to a human level, dispensing with the cliché archetypes of princes, kings, and evil sorcerers. Reading his stuff was like reading Vietnam War fiction on peyote.”
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:22:00 PM by Eclipse »

Offline Bender

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »
@isos81 have you read all Malazan, the novellas and two prequel books?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »
I've just finished Cass Morris's From Unseen Fire, which is an alterni-Roman fantasy. I am still mulling over my thoughts on this, partly because I found the military storyline, with a tribune and cohort off dealing with Spanish marauders, kinda not-my-thing. So it seems appropriate to mention it here. But you may, in turn, not be that into the other half of the book, which is politics/magic/romance back in Rome itself, which I quite enjoyed. :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 01:35:33 AM »
As you’ve already read Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy I’d recommend The Heroes, it’s entirely about a battle. If you hadn’t already read and not disliked Myke Cole, I’d recommend his Reawakening trilogy, far superior to Shadow Ops IMO. You may also like Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames and Grey Bastards by Jonathan French.

Offline isos81

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 05:36:55 AM »

I read ten original books by Erikson. Then read two books by ICE but I didn't like ICE's style. I was waiting for Kharkanas to finish but Erikson put it on hold unfortunately.

I'm keeping Bauchelain and Broach for later, when I want to read lighter books :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »

I read ten original books by Erikson. Then read two books by ICE but I didn't like ICE's style. I was waiting for Kharkanas to finish but Erikson put it on hold unfortunately.

I'm keeping Bauchelain and Broach for later, when I want to read lighter books :)

ICE gets better and better and Blood and Bone,  Assail and the Path to Ascendancy trilogy are really great books, so I recommend reading on.

We did a Malazan Read along here in the forums, check it out and add some thoughts if you want. :)
-> http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/deadhouse-gates-(malazan-book-of-the-fallen-ii)-by-steven-erikson/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:28:51 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »

ICE gets better and better and Blood and Bone,  Assail and the Path to Ascendancy trilogy are really great books, so I recommend reading on.

We did a Malazan Read along here in the forums, check it out and add some thoughts if you want. :)
-> http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/deadhouse-gates-(malazan-book-of-the-fallen-ii)-by-steven-erikson/

Thanks Xiagan, I think I'll do that as @Bender suggested, too.

It's a pity that I was absent during the read along :( Why don't we do another read along? I would certainly join one :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »
Isos, you can do what I did, which is to add to the threads as you read them. The read along was done before I was ready to read Malazan, and when I finally did read them, I just wrote my comments on the existing threads.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 03:26:05 AM »

My Top 3 are Night of Knives, Return of Crimson Guard and Assail. Assail was just a perfect finale to the whole series. Blood and Bone is a brilliant standalone novel thought I rated others because of more direct links to the main series.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
Depends how 'military' you mean:

The copper cat trilogy by Jen Williams follows a trio of mercenaries
The poppy war by RF Kuang, sequel The dragon republic is just out
If you like short stories, there's the Art of War charity anthology
The godless world trilogy by Brian Ruckley
Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown