September 29, 2020, 02:54:56 PM

Author Topic: Michael J. Sullivan  (Read 13615 times)

Offline Michael Sullivan

Re: Michael J. Sullivan
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »
I just finished a Royce and Hadrian short story which will be included in the "Unfettered" Anthology in January. For those that don't know this anthology is being produced to help pay the medical bills of Shawn Speakman.  A number of authors are donating stories to the project and I'm proud to contribute to it.  Look for "The Jester" coming soon. 

Yes, Unfettered will be available as print and ebook.  (There is also a special limited leather bound version which will be signed by all the authors, but I think those are already sold out).

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Michael J. Sullivan
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »
Saw that there is a Kickstarter for Michael J. Sullivan's Hollow World novel. Really curious about this one (sounds like a really intriguing a Science Fiction read), and the cover art is stunning! And if the Kickstarter does well, you can get a print of the cover work from supporting the book:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaeljsullivan/hollow-world-a-novel-by-michael-j-sullivan?ref=live

:)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
Hey all...Just wanted to drop by as the launch of my new series is approaching fast and Orbit is doing some things that you guys might be interested in.

• Goodreads Giveway - 10 Free copies of The Crown Tower will be given away - and the good news is that winners will get the books in July rather than having to wait util the August release date
  • My Giveaway - Since Orbit's contest is only for the US I'm doing a parallel giveaway for free signed copies - it is open to all locals but the overseas people will get 2 entries because they can't participate in the other one
  • First two chapters posted - For those that are excited to get started, the first two chapters are posted for your reading pleasure

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 11:56:03 PM »
Hey all...Just wanted to drop by as the launch of my new series is approaching fast and Orbit is doing some things that you guys might be interested in.

• Goodreads Giveway - 10 Free copies of The Crown Tower will be given away - and the good news is that winners will get the books in July rather than having to wait util the August release date
  • My Giveaway - Since Orbit's contest is only for the US I'm doing a parallel giveaway for free signed copies - it is open to all locals but the overseas people will get 2 entries because they can't participate in the other one
  • First two chapters posted - For those that are excited to get started, the first two chapters are posted for your reading pleasure

Awesome!!! Consider me entered :)

Feeling the international-love :D
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »
Hey everyone. We are approaching the release of the new books...and I have some exciting news.  I'm not sure how much you know about publishing, but apparently the first weeks sales are really important and pre-orders count in that first week's sales, so Orbit is offering some cool free stuff for those that pre-order.  Here's the deal. You can get:

• 2 - Signed (and dedicated) bookplates1
  • 3 - Signed bookmarks1 (one for you and two for friends)
  • Entry to win a signed copy of The Crown Tower
  • Free short story - The Jester2
For full details and to sign-up see this link.

They have also have made available an extended preview so you can read the first 5 chapters for free. Even if you want to wait for the full version, consider downloading a copy as it counts as a "sale" in the Amazon magic algorithms and will get me more visibility on the site by showing up higher in the author's rank, and appearing on the Free lists bestsellers. Here are some of the places I know of that have it:

1 Because of the high cost of shipping bookmarks are bookplates are only for the US & Canada, but the book giveaway and free short story are available for everyone

2 The Jester is my story in Sean Speakman's Unfettered Anthology only the first 500 people will get them and it is made possible with Sean's generous permission.

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »
You really gotta talk to Orbit about their ebook licensing Michael. I just went to get the kindle one, and of course it's not available for Australia.
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:18 PM »
You really gotta talk to Orbit about their ebook licensing Michael. I just went to get the kindle one, and of course it's not available for Australia.

I'm pleased to announce that as far as I know all ebook licensing throughout the world has now been fixed. It was a very long time in the coming,a nd you can rest assured that I was an annoying pita to Orbit on this topic. As a previously self-published author it was quite depressing to find that I lost distribution in certain parts of the world when going to a big-five publisher.  The whole plan for going with such a large organization was to expand distribution not contract it!  Here is a link to learn more about the issue

Offline Jeryn

• Builder
  • All that is gold does not glitter.
    • My reviews of the books I've read
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
Just a few random thoughts after reading THE ROSE AND THORN: http://richardmbray.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/the-rose-and-thorn-by-michael-j-sullivan/.

Now that I've read the Ryria Chronicles that have been published so far, I'm moving on to the Ryria Revelations. I'd certainly be interested in hearing from others who read Revelations before Chronicles and how that impacted their experience (and how my reading order may have impacted my experience).

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
Just a few random thoughts after reading THE ROSE AND THORN: http://richardmbray.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/the-rose-and-thorn-by-michael-j-sullivan/.

Now that I've read the Ryria Chronicles that have been published so far, I'm moving on to the Ryria Revelations. I'd certainly be interested in hearing from others who read Revelations before Chronicles and how that impacted their experience (and how my reading order may have impacted my experience).

Ahh! I have been really curious how these books would read in chronological order rather than published order (how I read them). I usually like to start a story at the beginning, so my inclination would be to read in the order that you are reading them if the the Chronicles had already been published. But since they weren't I read Revelations before Chronicles.

I'm not sure what order I would recommend reading them because my opinion is that Crown Tower is the weakest of the 5 books and misses all of the interaction between Royce and Hadrian which while not the only strength of the books, is a large part of what I enjoy in the Riyria books. I missed it in Crown Tower. I did have some problems since I knew where the characters would end up, it broke some of the suspense for me (why I normally prefer to read chronological). That said, Rose and Thorn I felt was every bit as strong as the Revelations books and I did not have the suspense issues I had in Crown Tower.  I also wondered if reading Chronicles before Revelations, if I would not have felt that Crown Tower was weaker than the other books. I would not have had suspense issues and I wouldn't have been looking for the interactions between Royce and Hadrian.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jeryn

• Builder
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
One book into Riyria Revelations after reading Chronicles first, I'm glad I read it in the order I did. Here are just a few brief thoughts after reading THEFT OF SWORDS: http://richardmbray.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/theft-of-swords-by-michael-j-sullivan/

Offline Jeryn

• Builder
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:35 AM »
Finished the series. Really thought it got better as it went along.

Here are my thoughts on "Heir of Novron:" http://richardmbray.wordpress.com/2014/02/09/heir-of-novron-by-michael-j-sullivan/

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
I'm reading Heir of Novron atm it's fun and charming but I seem to be in a minority as I don't love it like so many of you do I think one of the problems for me is Modina she seems to become a great leader overnight from nowhere in this book I also like Nimbus but I really think there should have been more background on him also Myron I like him but whenever somebody ask him a question about History it feels like his telling the reader and not the character his talking too

What I really like is the quest storyline to find the lost city and the camaraderie between the characters
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
Great timing for this thread to pop back onto the main page, as I just finished Heir of Novron tonight. Absolutely loved the series despite some trepidation at first. The ending was completely satisfying for me. I'd put Hadrian and Royce up their with the best fantasy duos I've come across (Tehol and Bugg, Kalaam and Quick Ben, Kylar and Durzo Blunt come to mind).
Looking forward to reading the prequel novels!

I've done a little research and from an interview or post from Michael on his website (or was it the interview after Theft of Swords? It's late and i forget lol) it seemed like he will only be staying in the Riyria world with prequels. Which is fine, but I'd like to see more from where Heir of Novron left off... Unless it means a favorite character dying  ;D

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »
Great timing for this thread to pop back onto the main page, as I just finished Heir of Novron tonight. Absolutely loved the series despite some trepidation at first. The ending was completely satisfying for me. I'd put Hadrian and Royce up their with the best fantasy duos I've come across (Tehol and Bugg, Kalaam and Quick Ben, Kylar and Durzo Blunt come to mind).
Looking forward to reading the prequel novels!

I've done a little research and from an interview or post from Michael on his website (or was it the interview after Theft of Swords? It's late and i forget lol) it seemed like he will only be staying in the Riyria world with prequels. Which is fine, but I'd like to see more from where Heir of Novron left off... Unless it means a favorite character dying  ;D
Have you read the prequels that deal with Royce and Hadrian (Riyria Chronicles)? They're very enjoyable too. :)

And yeah, there's a prequel series set thousands of years in the past, which he's just finished. From what I've read he's open to continuing Royce and Hadrian's stories from where they left off, so it's possible that it might happen in the future. We'd have to wait a few years though, since he likes to write an entire series before letting the first book go out for sale! :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
I'm about 90 pages into the eBook version of the Crown Tower already lol
Will read the Rose and Thorn next and then wait impatient ly for the First Empire series to come out  ;D