April 26, 2017, 02:52:50 PM

Author Topic: Memorable scenes from a ship  (Read 560 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
Memorable scenes from a ship
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
You know you follow the adventurers  and there have to get over the ocean to reach their destination, do you groan when it happens?. It seems to me the pace starts to drag in fantasy fiction whenever someone gets on a ship halfway through a book for a chapter.

I've been reading Hornblower lately and I never felt once that it slowed down

What's you most exciting memorable scene on a ship from a fantasy work?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:18:47 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: Memorable scenes from a ship
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch:

Spoiler for Hiden:
When the ship Locke and Jean are in is attacked by other pirated and they threaten to burn it down with some out-of-nowhere magical orb. Then Ezri Delmastro, Jean's crush, saves the day by disposing of the orb and dies burned alive. So pissed off.

Hm, it's the only scene I've read in a ship or spaceship.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
In Jen Williams' Silver Tide there are great scenes on Wydrin's mum's ship - of course, I can't really remember enough to describe them... ::)

And on Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy, there the ship *is* the memorable thing, since they're alive ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Eclipse

• Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
It seems to be  the books with the ones which just have a chapter or two on sea travel, if  the novels are mostly all about being on the sea like Liveship Trader I find it okay.

I remember the pirate captain in Liveship Trader I really liked him until he did something very Bad.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:28:01 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
In my own writing, nearly every time my characters get on a ship, something terrible happens. If it doesn't, then I'll just skip ahead to when they reach their destination.

Online S. K. InkSlinger

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »
The only two stories I've read where the main characters got on ships were
The Wise Man's Fear- where Kvothe just skipped the whole on-the-ship part, saying he fought with pirates and lose everything
and
A Dance with Dragons- Where Tyrion got bundled up in a barrel and practically just drank himself to oblivion in there, so I didn't see anything related to scenery much.

They are not the most exciting parts of the overall story, I agree.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:12:47 AM »
I just wrote a scene on a ship, and it had a major series-level plot revelation.

Offline Peat

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:03:30 AM »
I remember there being some in Paul Kearney's The Sea Beggars, but not well enough to give details.

edit: Looking at my own total reminded me that there's some pretty cool ones in Raymond E Feist's work. From surviving the Straits of Darkness in Magician to the sea battles in the Serpentwar series, he's happy to kick his characters off to sea pretty often and does some cool scenes there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:30:41 AM by Peat »
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:05:48 AM »
Royce and Hadrian went on a ship to and from Melangar(?) in Rise of Empire, but I can't remember anything that happened in particular about the actual voyage. Possibly they got kidnapped by pirates but it clearly wasn't memorable.  Confess that any time on the sea I tend to skip through.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
What makes O'Brian's or Fullerton's work so compelling is they know the ships and how to sail them in minutiae and where great observers of life. Often fantasy writers think ship, write ship and are done with it but it lacks the enthusiasm and understanding which makes it float and run before the wind. I read a wonderful paragraph describing what was a Viking longship in all but name and the next minute the captain is going below decks. That didn't spoil it for me but did show that it wasn't important enough to spend 5 minutes on google to work out why these things were so sleek and fast as described.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
I read True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle at about 10 or 12, and certain scenes from that book still haven't gone away. It's a book about a young girl that runs away from home and stows away on a ship, to eventually become a part of the crew. Might be because I was so young, but her learning simple things about sailing and her struggle to climb the main mast, and how determined she was to learn this stuff, stuck with me even after 15 or more years.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
Half a King and Half a War by Joe Abercrombie both have great ship scenes. The Copper Cat trilogy by @sennydreadful, Red Seas under Red Skies, Scott Lynch. Off the top of my head they all have excellent ship scenes.
The Red Gods wax and the Light wanes. Blood rises. Find the herald, staunch the flow.

Godblind published June 2017 by Harper Voyager UK

Offline Pwibble

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
The Walrus and The Warwolf by Hugh Cook. Volume 4 out of 10 written (60 were planned) fantasy multiverse series. Pirates, coming of age, the birth of a new religion, heresy, pirates. It's pretty bonkers but possibly the most accessible (along with The Wizards and the Warriors) of the series and the seafaring is by no means dull. Not spoilery to say that the titular creatures refer to pirate vessels.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33:52 AM »
Do airships count?

If not, the Broken Eye had some really good ship scenes. Super intense stuff. Red Seas Under Red Skies was really good as well.

If so, Ketty Jay... I can't even pin one down. So many!

Offline Eclipse

• Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 06:41:59 AM »
Nope just sea faring ones , it seems to be the books with only one or two chapters with said ship if the book mostly deals with sea faring for the whole book  it seems to be okay because I guess there can't  use it as some kind of boring interlude.

You either have

A) Gets attacked by pirates/sea monster and the mc best friend gets injured or dies.

B) Have a flashback of the journey so far you've just read about in a cabin if it's a peaceful journey

And someone gets seasick
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:40:57 AM by Eclipse »

Tags: