April 09, 2020, 11:53:07 AM

Author Topic: March 2020 Book club pick:Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1) by Tamsyn Muir  (Read 634 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Time for a book about Necromancers in space as it will be my last pick for the club or maybe I be back as Emperor of the book club for May. We  will see how the voting goes  ;)

Gideon the Ninth is the most fun you'll ever have with a skeleton.

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit.

Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as necromantic skeletons. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won't set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:01:49 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
This is on my to-read list so I should join in if I can remember. :D
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Bender

I'm in. Always happy to discuss this...
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online isos81

Oh my, I've heard so much about this book, I got very curious. I'm in, too :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

My husband just finished reading this (at my insistence, on his pile for reading before Hugo noms close) so I've been revisiting it vicariously. I am also very keen to join the discussion!

Online Peat

Urgh. I want to be in but impending moves make more hardcopies impractical and the ebook price is way high. Guess we'll see.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Arghh. If the e-store I've subscribed to send me the promo code for this month I would've bought that book too. This is definitely an interesting month to participate in.

Offline Bender

Was looking for this and got confused between Book Club and Read Along forums.

Can I post this in Facebook thread to see if anyone there want to sign up and join in this?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
I want the read alongs to go in to book club forum be a lot easier to find threads but we don’t have an admin at the minute.

Sure post this  in Facebook  :) tell them it’s a sister site otherwise there might not think the forum is connected to F-F Facebook.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:24:10 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
One of the mods over at facebook

@Autumn2May @Overlord @G_R_Matthews @Kitvaria Sarene @DavidZampa @Lisa Taylor, and @Mariëlle Ooms-Voges.

Might be able to annouce it on facebook about the book club in the forum.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:34:44 PM by Eclipse »

Offline Bender

Did my share of plugging for the site.

Where's my payment?  ;D

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Arun? ;D
I just followed the link from the main page and it let me read stuff, found your post, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Did my share of plugging for the site.

Where's my payment?  ;D

A kiss from me 😘

Offline Bender

Arun? ;D
I just followed the link from the main page and it let me read stuff, found your post, hehe

Outed by facebook!

A kiss from me 😘

You know what Bender says regarding kisses?  ;)

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Have you got your book for March  :)