August 06, 2020, 02:53:30 AM

Author Topic: Malazan Series  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Bridgeburner_Ash

Malazan Series
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
Hi all,

As my first topic I thought I would talk about my favourite fantasy series, which from my username you can probably tell is the Malazan series (I considered going with QuickBen as my username as he is my favourite character but as my name isn't Ben I didnt know if this would get confusing ????)

I know there will have been threads decimated to this series already but a few I found hadn't had any comments in quite some time so I thought I'd start afresh.

My first reading of the Malazan series didn't quite go smoothly, I picked up Gardens of the Moon as it seemed like a nice big book to delve into, however after 2 chapters I gave up and the book sat on my bookshelf for about 6 months. It wasn't that the book was bad or boring, I think there was just a lot going on and I hadn't gotten back into reading that long before picking this book ups and so it seemed a lot more than I was used to. It was only after my brother decided to give it a go and after he finished he told me I had to read it and I'm so glad I listened.

This series offers so much it quickly became my favourite books that I have read to date (and think I would struggle to find another series that would beat it). From fascinating and diverse characters (along with some hilarious ones like Tehol and Bugg or Kruppe) to places that, due to the great descriptions, you can picture almost perfectly there isn't much about this series that I disliked. There were some slow parts I will admit but I would expect that from any series as epic as this one.

i would probably say that the Malazan series is the only one I have read so far that I would consider reading all the way through again just so I can re-experience it's greatness and see any bits I may have missed.

Hope this isn't too much for a first post but really happy I joined this forum and look forward to discussing the Malazan series and so much more with you all.

Thanks for reading

Martyn

Huge fan of Fantasy and other Fiction Genres, mostly down to my mother who got me involved in Fantasy from an early age
I also have a Bearded Dragon called Draco, 3 Leopard Geckos called Mojo, Ziva & Fiddler and last but not least is my very cheeky Quaker Parrot Loki

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Malazan Series
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
Hi, I haven't read it yet (maybe one day after all the advertising at F-F, hehe), but I just *have to* direct you to the forum section that deals specifically with this series:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/deadhouse-gates-%28malazan-book-of-the-fallen-ii%29-by-steven-erikson/

Several people from the forum have been doing a 'commentated read-along', and I'm sure they will welcome everything you'd like to say about it :D

Edit: forget about it, I think you've already found it ::) that'll teach me to post after just a skim-read.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »
I'm in the Gardens of the Moon now (well, actually, I'm at the breakfast table, but I digress).

Very interesting story with some interesting characters. So far, Tattersail is my favorite, and I expect good things from following Paran. The Bridgeburners themselves aren't grabbing me yet, but it's early days.

Did you have a favorite book in the series?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bridgeburner_Ash

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
It's hard to say which is my favourite if I'm honest, there were so many points in the all the books that were just so engrossing that it's difficult to choose. I do have to say that I wasn't overly keen on book 9 but I think that was because it was starting to build up to the final book 10.

I think that maybe if I re-read them I would certainly understand some of the parts that at the time didn't really make sense but we're explained more later on and maybe I would be able to choose a specific book that stood out.

I did like the spin off book of 'the Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach' as these 2 were among some of my favourite characters and was very pleased when I saw they had their own book.
Huge fan of Fantasy and other Fiction Genres, mostly down to my mother who got me involved in Fantasy from an early age
I also have a Bearded Dragon called Draco, 3 Leopard Geckos called Mojo, Ziva & Fiddler and last but not least is my very cheeky Quaker Parrot Loki

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »
There's loads of good partnership in the Malazan universe but one of my top ones is Tehol Beddict and his manservant Bugg

"Abject Misery lies not in what the blanket reveals,but in what it hides" Tehol
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bridgeburner_Ash

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
I do have to agree with you there Eclipse, they have such a unique and brilliant relationship I think they would make a good spin off story (like Baucelain and Korbal Broach)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 05:25:23 PM »
It's hard to say which is my favourite if I'm honest, there were so many points in the all the books that were just so engrossing that it's difficult to choose. I do have to say that I wasn't overly keen on book 9 but I think that was because it was starting to build up to the final book 10.

I think that maybe if I re-read them I would certainly understand some of the parts that at the time didn't really make sense but we're explained more later on and maybe I would be able to choose a specific book that stood out.

I did like the spin off book of 'the Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach' as these 2 were among some of my favourite characters and was very pleased when I saw they had their own book.

Please don't be scared to post in the Malazan read alongs even if people haven't posted there for a bit ignore those silly message which say no message in 120 days are you sure you want to post ? I just ignore them if I want to say something and welcome to Fantasy Faction Bridgeburner Ash  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:37 PM »

Please don't be scared to post in the Malazan read alongs even if people haven't posted there for a bit ignore those silly message which say no message in 120 days are you sure you want to post ? I just ignore them if I want to say something and welcome to Fantasy Faction Bridgeburner Ash  :)

Agreed. If you want to post we'll try and respond anyway - it was a ridiculous amount of fun. And that's 50% of the regulars accounted for!

I had a massive soft spot for Stormy and Gesler personally, but Jmayck is a ways off on them!
Make Another World.

Offline Bridgeburner_Ash

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
Cheers, I'll certainly take a look at the other Malazan threads, will be cool to read other peoples thoughts and takes on certain moments from the book (as well as the general series)
Never realised when I bought that first book that it was such an epic series, certainly I glad I dis get it and that it so popular.
Looking forward to discussing some of be other books/series I've also read (already noticed a couple with ongoing threads) and finding new ones I can sink my teeth into although re-reading the Malazan series is definitely looking more appealing now so that I can refresh it in my mind, that's if I can find Gardens of the Moon. Leant it to my mum (as she's a huge fantasy reader also) so only Hood knows where it's ended up ????

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:05:13 AM »
It's hard to pick a favorite book, but I can definitely pick some favorite moments:

(Don't read the spoilers Jmack! I'd hate to ruin things for you.)

Spoiler for Hiden:
The burning of Y'ghatan is one of my absolute favorites. Definitely one of the best moments in any book I've read, especially the aftermath, including Corabb's change of heart.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Trull Sengar's death. I absolutely HATED this as I read it. It seemed to have no point at all, I didn't get why it had to happen, but looking back, I like that fact. There's something about his death, particularly the pointlessness of it, that has stuck with me. It was so random, so unnecessary, it just seems right, and even though I hated it so much at the time, I can't say it'd be the same book without it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The mule duel. Some of the best comedy ever. I love Iskaral. I love Kruppe. The fact they came head to head, and dueled atop their unusual mules, was pure brilliance. Iskaral and Mogora and some of the best moments, especially seeing the world from Iskaral's PoV, the priest of shadow he tries to seduce, the moronic yet genius way he goes about plotting, all of it was amazing.

I'm sure there's more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head. Esselmont had some moments as well:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The confrontation between Kyle, Kallor, and Ereko comes to mind

but it's hard to challenge Erikson. I also loved "Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach," but my reason for really enjoying it was Emancipor Reese, the manservant.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Malazan Series
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
It's more the endings of the books than a single book I thoroughly enjoyed. Especially the later ones. Reaper's Gale or Toll the hounds for example have incredible endings.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »
@Justan Henner, such temptation laid out before me in spoilers. Should almost be illegal.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
@Justan Henner, such temptation laid out before me in spoilers. Should almost be illegal.  ;)

Yep, that's me, living on the fringe of morality. - I say while sipping my hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Offline Deano

Malazan Series
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
I have read the first 7 books
Then after a break
Thought I'd re read from the beginning (as my son is now reading them) while waiting for the last three to be released on audible.
And once I've finnisehed peter v Brett's new book I'll be back on it.
They are great books
But soooo many characters to remember makes my head spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 05:40:57 AM »
I wish these books weren't such a struggle to get through. There's good stuff in there, but I have to wade through a lot of tedious stuff to get to it, mainly because I struggle to connect with any of the characters. The narration feels too distant for my tastes.