May 27, 2019, 02:46:48 AM

Author Topic: Magical animals  (Read 10692 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Magical animals
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:15 AM »
I just read an article on Tor.com about cats in fantasy, and it struck me that plenty of fantasy books do feature animals. While I'm not a cat person personally, I did put a cat in my own YA portal fantasy Realmspace, and I think animal characters are quite cool to use in fantasy. What are other people's favourites? I quite like the Librarian from Discworld.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: Magical animals
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:05:08 AM »
Elfy, great subject, who remembers Tailchaser from Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams?  Such a hero and that book is so funny. Sometimes wonder if Tad needed a break from the seriousness of Dragonbone Chair, because this was published in between books 2 and 3, and was so way out different.

I am very fond of Oberon the wolfhound from Iron Druid Chronicles with his fondness for bacon and, until recently, French poodles.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:55 AM »
Elfy, great subject, who remembers Tailchaser from Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams?  Such a hero and that book is so funny. Sometimes wonder if Tad needed a break from the seriousness of Dragonbone Chair, because this was published in between books 2 and 3, and was so way out different.

I am very fond of Oberon the wolfhound from Iron Druid Chronicles with his fondness for bacon and, until recently, French poodles.
How could I forget Oberon? I also have a fondness for Spike, the rose goblin in The October Daye series, and he's kind of an animal, basically a cat made out of rose thorns. I also have to give Greebo, also from Discworld a mention. Very few people ever talk about Tailchaser's Song, so nice to see someone else who remembers it. It was Williams' debut. Originally came out in 1985, which is when I bought it. The Dragonbone Chair appeared in 1988, and I can remember being surprised by how different two works by the same author were. There's also Mister and Mouse from the Dresden Files.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »
I'm not really an animal person, so I don't really care much.
I remember with fondness Nighteyes (no, not that one, the animal ;)), and then just Dragons. Characters who think and have emotions, not just animals who are just *there*...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »

How could I forget Oberon? I also have a fondness for Spike, the rose goblin in The October Daye series, and he's kind of an animal, basically a cat made out of rose thorns. I also have to give Greebo, also from Discworld a mention. Very few people ever talk about Tailchaser's Song, so nice to see someone else who remembers it. It was Williams' debut. Originally came out in 1985, which is when I bought it. The Dragonbone Chair appeared in 1988, and I can remember being surprised by how different two works by the same author were. There's also Mister and Mouse from the Dresden Files.

Shame on me - how could I forget Mouse?  ;D  My mistake re publishing dates it must have been the times we actually got them that mixed me up. Found my old Tailchaser and Dragonbone after posting today and trouble with this  is I am going to be tempted to re-read oldies before the TBR pile.

I remember with fondness Nighteyes (no, not that one, the animal ;)), and then just Dragons. Characters who think and have emotions, not just animals who are just *there*...

Ahhhh -  Dragons.......goes weak at knees with worship.....................

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:21 AM »
Mudge springs to mind; the amoral anthropomorphic Otter from Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series. It also featured a great Turtle wizard and a Communist red (sic) Dragon.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »
I remember with fondness Nighteyes (no, not that one, the animal ;) ), and then just Dragons. Characters who think and have emotions, not just animals who are just *there*...
This. @Nighteyes is great, Algernon is also quite memorable.  ;D

It actually really annoys me when non-humans are written as if they're non-thinking emotionless robots. That's just not how it works, they're the same as us.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:41:10 AM »

@Elfy, Spike is clearly a rose dog, not a rose cat. A rose cat would purr and then rake the furniture with it its thorns.
@Lady Ty, I may have try Tailchaser again. I remember not being impressed.  :-[
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »
And meanwhile, what about goats? Why aren't there more goats as characters in fantasy fiction? Just asking.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »
And meanwhile, what about goats? Why aren't there more goats as characters in fantasy fiction? Just asking.

:o :o @Jmacyk you are possessed, blatant attempt at FF domination- enough already, proselyte of Aktu the Great HornyHorned One.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
I think Jen's promised goat in her new book will be the only one ;D

(and can I say that Aktu's avatar is much better than Jmacyk's, hehe)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
Petition To @sennydreadful

Dear Jen
Please do not let the goat in your next book be called Atku, even if you are offered untold wealth and decadent blandishments. Atku could shape-shift anytime he wanted and wreck your storyline at will.

Lady Ty

Online JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
More animals:

The dire wolves in ASoIaF. Loved them, and they felt very important at the beginning. The fact there's only 1 (?) left sort of shows to me how GRRM has followed the story wherever it has lead him, rather than from a initial set of fixed constraints. But I feel a bit let down that what seemed so important at the beginning becomes so much less so.

Bill the pony in LotR. Yes, he's a bit player, but he establishes Sam's character so clearly.

Shadowfax, the greatest animal name in Fantasy imo.

All of Watership Down.

The list could certainly go on and on.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
Petition To @sennydreadful

Dear Jen
Please do not let the goat in your next book be called Atku, even if you are offered untold wealth and decadent blandishments. Atku could shape-shift anytime he wanted and wreck your storyline at will.

Lady Ty

Oh no, how horribly, horribly tempting though...  ;)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
Hmm, let's start with the dragons.
Saphira from the Inheritance Cycle. She was fun.
I'm going to butcher the name if I try to spell it, but the dragon from Demon Wars. He's just awesome!
Other than dragons...
Oreseur from Mistborn when he's in the dog form. Just cool.
Ghost from Game of Thrones.
I'm sitting here trying to think of any other animals, but if I have to think about it for a while, then they probably didn't touch my heart all that much.