April 14, 2021, 06:41:08 PM

Author Topic: Low expectations to page turner  (Read 1744 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
Re: Low expectations to page turner
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 08:25:07 AM »
That is interesting to hear--Blackwing has finally percolated to the top of my get-from-the-library list and I've been looking at it wondering if I do get it, or if I quietly delete it... but if both of you guys enjoyed it, I will give it a shot!

Very nervous haha.

*Quietly search for Blackwing on goodreads and google* Is the book grimdark? And if so how dark is it? I'm started to feel interested too.

Looks at @Peat page to see if it comes under grimdark.

https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2021/02/18/defining-grimdark-a-community-consensus-sample/
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
I think it's a bit grimdark, yes, but not the 'despairing' type, more because the main character does the right thing (in the end), but he doesn't care about rules, processes and whoever (more or less) gets hurt along the way (especially if it's not a friend)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:21:51 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »
Blackwing is excellent. Think grimdark world, and a cynical but not nihilistic character who is not a total arsehole. Grimdark with heart.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »
Blackwing is excellent. Think grimdark world, and a cynical but not nihilistic character who is not a total arsehole. Grimdark with heart.
Exactly! And I think Ryhalt would be great friends with your Edrin, they're brothers from different fathers :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 12:57:01 AM »
I sometimes use the term Grimdark-adjacent for that. And sometimes I use the horrible but accurate term Grimheart.

But I'd just like to go with Dark Heroic Fantasy. And I should try it again some time.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 08:39:10 AM »
I sometimes use the term Grimdark-adjacent for that. And sometimes I use the horrible but accurate term Grimheart.

But I'd just like to go with Dark Heroic Fantasy. And I should try it again some time.

Yeah I'm gonna veto the term Grimheart.

sorrynotsorry @Peat :)

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »

Yeah I'm gonna veto the term Grimheart.

sorrynotsorry @Peat :)

Hey, it's not my term, I hate it too!
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »
Have you headed into a book thinking this might not be for me but before you know it has sucked you in?
This question is for me, isn't it? :P

Yes, before reading City of stairs it'd been in a far away backburner of my mind, and it was only you making it the Readalong AND pestering asking me several times if I was going to read it that made me actually read it. The rest is history, 5 stars ;D
haha I was the opposite with City of Stairs. From everything I'd heard it sounded perfect and then.... :/
I was a bit disappointed by City of Stairs, too.

I have a theory that if something is sold as "the X of fantasy", or "like X but fantasy", and you're at all familiar with the original version of X, then you aren't going to like it. City of Stairs was sold to me as the fantasy version of John Le Carre, and it just plainly isn't. I think that's also why, as a fan of Chandler and Hammett, I don't get on with Dresden. And I tend to like Regency fantasy of manners, but I think people who actually read a lot of Regency romance don't like the fantasy versions as much as I do.

On the other hand, I am happy to read endless versions of "Hornblower in space" so maybe I'm overthinking.