November 12, 2019, 04:39:46 AM

Author Topic: Looking for an Adventure  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Kiowa

Looking for an Adventure
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:13:39 PM »
I am looking for a fantasy adventure story. Something fun, a page turner, with at least one charming/funny character and a generally happy ending. Straightforward, predicable and graphic are all fine. Romance, series with at least 3 books so far, magic, animals and/or shape shifters are all pluses. Nothing set in space please.

Thank you so much for any recommendations :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:18:08 PM »
Maybe better if you had posted on you old thread as then we know what you've tried before

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/desperate-for-book-recommendations/msg131873/#msg131873
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:48 PM »
Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. Definitely an adventure type story.
I don't read too many of those, so that's all I have.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
I see that Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress series was recommended in your other thread. Have you read it yet?

If not, it fulfills nearly every criterion you listed.

I'd also recommend Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. If you're into Steampunk, you could also read the Tales of the Ketty Jay. I really enjoyed the first book of Jim Butcher's Cinder Spires, but there's only one book out so far.

Offline Yora

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »
The Desert of Souls by Howard Jones. The best single word I have to describe it is "fun".

Can never go wrong with the Conan stories of Robert Howard either. (Those by other writers tend to have a poor reputation.)

I also very much enjoyed The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Five loosely connected adventures actually, but all very interesting and entertaining.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline magisensei

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
Romance + Adventure and fantasy: 

You might want to try:

Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series - an epic fantasy with romance, intrigue and adventure.  Try the first trilogy in the series starting with Kushiel's Dart. 

Continuing with the same author is her urban fantasy series Santa Olivia (2 books) which is also an enjoyable read. 

For a slightly different adventure, intrigue mixed with romance you might try Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths.  When a wizard meets a thief things are bound to get interesting. 

For a happy ending:

How about trying Jim C Hines Princess series - its a new take on the old fairy tales (not the Disney versions - here the step sisters of Cinderella actually cut off their toes to fit into the glass slipper) and what happens after the fairy tale ends.  It stars Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty with a bunch of other well-known fairy tale characters making an appearance.  Full of adventure, magic and a twist on well known characters. 

For urban fantasy:

Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series is good to try if you enjoy a more werewolf centered story although it does have other creatures as well. "Bitten" is the first in the series. 

Last recommendation:

Sharon Shinn's Samaria series (4 books) - if you don't mind angels in your fantasy then this series has romance and adventure.