October 17, 2019, 02:05:46 AM

Author Topic: List of LGBT characters in fantasy recommended by Fantasy Faction Members  (Read 26351 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: List of LGBT characters in fantasy recommended by Fantasy Faction Members
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
I’ve just been adding the book ones for now , don’t know why that’s under time travel.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:32 PM »
Ok :)
I just remembered the thread after the conversation about the FFfacebook thingie, and I recently read that one.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Any new books to add?

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline cupiscent

Thanks for the reminder, Eclipse! Trawling my recent reads...

Amberlough, by Lara Elena Donnelly, call it Low Fantasy
Jade City, by Fonda Lee, prrrrobably call it Urban Fantasy
The Tiger's Daughter, by K Arsenault Rivera, Epic Fantasy

...sorry, I know I had the links to put these into the database myself, but I can't find 'em. :(

Offline Eli_Freysson

Any new books to add?

Another entry in my Golden Throne series: Spreading Fire.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Thanks for the reminder, Eclipse! Trawling my recent reads...

Amberlough, by Lara Elena Donnelly, call it Low Fantasy
Jade City, by Fonda Lee, prrrrobably call it Urban Fantasy
The Tiger's Daughter, by K Arsenault Rivera, Epic Fantasy

...sorry, I know I had the links to put these into the database myself, but I can't find 'em. :(
I hoped Amberlough would find it's way here. Reading it at present, really a very good book. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Tremontaine has a number of LGBT characters, and one of the main protagonists in Jen Williams' The Ninth Rain is gay, as was one of her chief characters in the Copper Cat trilogy.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline abatch

I don't mean to be self-serving, but I've got both a gay and a bi character (both major characters) in my series. What I'm saying is, it's not the unusual anymore, is it?

Offline isos81

1 year old topic :) I'm not sure whether or not this topic is ended or still active, but Magic Moog from the Kings of the Wyld is married to Frederick, so we can add him to the list :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Thanks!
@Eclipse (the original thread starter) is taking some time off, but I will try to update it when I have some more time.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
1 year old topic :) I'm not sure whether or not this topic is ended or still active, but Magic Moog from the Kings of the Wyld is married to Frederick, so we can add him to the list :)

I don't mind seeing old topics coming back alive again  ;) new readers see them  ;D

Offline J.W. Golan

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »
This topic will just be a list of book's and authors recommended by Fantasy Faction members over the years as we now getting a lot of people asking for LGBT characters in their fantasy reads,please add to the list if you come across a good story featuring LGBT character's thank you.

I would recommend adding When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore to the list.

It falls into the category of "Magical Realism" (which I suppose is a subcategory of "Low Fantasy"). It could also fall under the "Young Adult" banner - given the protagonists ages. Either way, a unique read with a number of LGBT characters.