July 19, 2019, 04:04:11 PM

Author Topic: Light Bringer Series News!  (Read 1576 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Light Bringer Series News!
« on: May 12, 2016, 04:16:37 AM »
http://www.brentweeks.com/2016/05/the-blood-mirror-release-date/

When I saw the title of this post, I screamed. Out Loud. I completely fangirled for two seconds. Ugh.

If you don't feel like clicking on it, here's two things. Blood Mirror is supposed to come out on October 25th. However, it's not the end of the series. There's going to be a book 5 now.

I'm really excited about this! First, I love the Light Bringer world to death. The magic system is awesome, the government is awesome, the plot has me on the edge of my seat the entire time... Maybe I should be upset about this series continuing to extend, but I'm not. I think Weeks proved himself trustworthy when The Broken Eye didn't drag out and be boring. If he feels like he needs to continue the story, then that means we have lots of epic things to come.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Just read the first two chapters of Blood Mirror. My jaw already dropped twice, and I was on the edge of my seat. This is going to be good!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:43:44 AM by ultamentkiller »

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Light Bringer Series News!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 04:55:54 AM »
Mixed feelings.

I was waiting the fourth final book to be released so I would start this series and read it in one go as I loved The Night Angel trilogy.

Now there's a fifth one coming. That's probably good if he thinks he still has great material to show us that can't fit in just one book (Lightbringer was originally supposed to be 3 books). Thankfully my TBR is pretty big.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 05:16:55 AM »
Definitely good AND bad news...

This is one of those series that you start on the first pages of book 1 and you only want to let go right at the very end. No interruptions.
I knew there were going to be 4 when I started reading, but at the time I also thought it would be a series that could stand the wait. After I flew by the 3 existing books ending with an awful and truly epic cliffhanger I was ready to metaphorically kill for the next one immediately.
Now, to hear there's going to be 5?
Yes, great story, more of it, but I wonder if I will just let there be one break in the series for me instead of 2, I wonder if I'll only read book 4 when 5 is released. Probably won't be strong enough...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:19:23 AM »
Huh. Didn't realise that series was that good. I've put it in my tbr pile now.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:26:15 AM »
Definitely good AND bad news...

This is one of those series that you start on the first pages of book 1 and you only want to let go right at the very end. No interruptions.
I knew there were going to be 4 when I started reading, but at the time I also thought it would be a series that could stand the wait. After I flew by the 3 existing books ending with an awful and truly epic cliffhanger I was ready to metaphorically kill for the next one immediately.
Now, to hear there's going to be 5?
Yes, great story, more of it, but I wonder if I will just let there be one break in the series for me instead of 2, I wonder if I'll only read book 4 when 5 is released. Probably won't be strong enough...

Yea, thank goodness I read Night Angel in one go. Definitely will wait until book 5 is out.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
There's a key difference in the way Night Angel and Light Bringer ends. In Night Angel, your only cliffhanger is in book two. With Light Bringer, the story never stops once it gets going. So every time a book ends, the suspense increases. As a result, The Blinding Knife had a painful cliffhanger, and The Broken Eye made me scream out loud. That's part of what makes it awesome though. The fact that he can make me feel such emotion towards these characters... It's awesome.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
First of all let me curse all of you UKers who will get the book a couple days before me.

Secondly, I pretty much thought it would bleed into another book as there was still a lot of things that needed to be wrapped up.  I'm actually glad that Weeks (or as glad as I can be before reading it and seeing how it all comes together) decided to go for another book rather than trying to cram everything in one.

I didn't get a feeling that many threads actually finished up, they just moved closer to their end point.  Things that still need to be worked out (and not sure how spoilery this is but I'll play it safe):
Spoiler for Hiden:
We're obviously going to see whatever Kip ends up being but we also have to resolve the Color Prince and whatever Liv is doing, I can't believe Gavin's story is done yet, whatever Andross is up to and how Zymun factors into that (and how he'll mess it up), Ironfist and Grinwoody with Teia on the fringes,and I'm probably forgetting a couple of other things right now.

A) That seems to be a lot to wrap up in one book and
B) Is it 2016 yet?

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »
Huh. Didn't realise that series was that good. I've put it in my tbr pile now.
oh, it absolutely is.  it's easily right up there with stormlight and kvothe.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
I'm actually excited to hear this news (though I hope he can get the last book finished without a two-year wait). This is one of my favorite ongoing series.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Oh, I'm pretty sure he's already started writing number 5... I think.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »
I'm not sure. He doesn't really hashtag his posts with the book they're about, so I have no clue. I think part of the reason we're not getting the book in August like we did with The Broken eye is because of this struggle. He's been trying so hard to wrap things up in one book, and of course there's contracts to figure out. I think now that he's comfortable again, the writing speed should pick up. If we're lucky, he may even be done by fall of 2017.

But none of that matters yet. I want book four now! Now now now now now!