May 28, 2017, 01:15:24 PM

Author Topic: LGBT & Fantasy  (Read 19791 times)

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
Re: LGBT & Fantasy
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
I have a curious question. Do you feel that you need to (if you have a gay character) write in detail about said character's personality, feelings, etc. or do you feel the need to treat said character the same as any other character?

For example, I have a gay character, but I don't really go into much detail about his thoughts on his orientation or anything like that. Just like I don't have my straight characters wondering constantly why they like a woman. Not to mention most of my characters seem decidedly asexual since I'm not comfortable taking a lot of time and dedicating it to some scenes in the bedroom or anything like that.

And I'm not prepared enough to write a long lasting romance, either.

I can tell you right now, as a bisexual individual, to stick a label on it, my thoughts don't differ any from the average straight person. There does seem to be this odd notion that anyone who isn't heterosexual spends their whole time fixated on their orientation. Sugar, there are much more important things to worry about in the world. Just treat them like any other character, because at the end of the day that's what they are; a person, just like anyone else.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
I have a curious question. Do you feel that you need to (if you have a gay character) write in detail about said character's personality, feelings, etc. or do you feel the need to treat said character the same as any other character?

For example, I have a gay character, but I don't really go into much detail about his thoughts on his orientation or anything like that. Just like I don't have my straight characters wondering constantly why they like a woman. Not to mention most of my characters seem decidedly asexual since I'm not comfortable taking a lot of time and dedicating it to some scenes in the bedroom or anything like that.

It depends on the character. I have one (Lor knows which one!) who's highly sexed and thinks about it a lot, others...not so much :)

I just go with whatever the story seems to demand. I feel it's a bit odd if none of the (non-child) characters ever think about other people around them in a sexual way, but that doesn't mean you have to write sex scenes or romance. Hugs, flirting, mentions of past relationships etc are all ways to imply orientation without taking up much page-time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:51:51 PM by AnneLyle »
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
I'm not sure we are prepared to read a long lasting romance written by a thirfourteen year old either. ;) (no offense)

I think Sam's point is interesting too.

If you write about it/mention it, do you feel you have to make a stand on how it is handled in that culture/state (even if it's not important for the plot)? Do you mention it at all if it's not important for the plot?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nyki Blatchley

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »

It depends on the character (as previously mentioned) but also on the society.  I assume that, if you live your life knowing you're likely to be assaulted, imprisoned or even executed if your orientation's discovered, that would certainly focus your attention on it.  In general, I don't use societies like that much as primary settings, and there's not a great deal of difference between how characters of different orientations think of their sexuality.

If you write about it/mention it, do you feel you have to make a stand on how it is handled in that culture/state (even if it's not important for the plot)? Do you mention it at all if it's not important for the plot?

Not unless there is an issue.  If there isn't, I tend to take it for granted.

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:25 AM »
In A Memory of Light in at least two places is offhandedly mentioned that this or that guy prefer men and not women (and no shock or disgust follows this - it's just something normal). That's nothing I remember from the first 13 Wheel of Time books and even if it is only something small, it is something. :)

Of course it's mentioned. Just far, far more so for women than men... What did you think pillow friends were? ;D
There are, I think 2 mentions of men liking men prior to the book I don't have yet you evil person you. Some are mentioned when talking about a previous Amyrlin who got rid of all the men in the White Tower regardless of if they liked women or not. Can't recall the other but they are there. RJ is on record saying that yes there are gay men, yes we have met some, but it wasn't relevant so it wasn't mentioned.
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2013, 04:42:38 AM »

Depends. Are the feelings relevant to the story? What's the worldbuilding doing with how non-straight people are looked at in this society? Do they add anything at all to the character or would you just be writing what you think they would be feeling? Is it necessary (for growth or angst or a reason to blow the world up etc etc etc) for this non straight character to be all angsty? Or, are they just a normal person? Who just so happens to have feelings for another person? Concentrate on the people not their sex.
Don't forget that asexual is a sexual orientation too. Nothing wrong with having characters like that.

I'm also with Xiagan on your relative experience with romance. I read a series by a young author that was pretty good, but the "romance" was very high school. It was the one and only thing in this authors writing that threw me out of the story. I'd recommend as a younger author, to write a relationship that is already established, if you think you need one in there.
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2013, 06:33:19 AM »
In A Memory of Light in at least two places is offhandedly mentioned that this or that guy prefer men and not women (and no shock or disgust follows this - it's just something normal). That's nothing I remember from the first 13 Wheel of Time books and even if it is only something small, it is something. :)

Of course it's mentioned. Just far, far more so for women than men... What did you think pillow friends were? ;D
There are, I think 2 mentions of men liking men prior to the book I don't have yet you evil person you. Some are mentioned when talking about a previous Amyrlin who got rid of all the men in the White Tower regardless of if they liked women or not. Can't recall the other but they are there. RJ is on record saying that yes there are gay men, yes we have met some, but it wasn't relevant so it wasn't mentioned.
Oh yes, the pillow friends. *slaps forehead* But yes, it was far more so for women than men.

Now that I read the book I could send it to you - on the other side, I sent some Australian friends a package for Christmas and it needed 3-4 weeks... :P
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
I'm not sure we are prepared to read a long lasting romance written by a thirfourteen year old either. ;) (no offense)

I think Sam's point is interesting too.

None taken. Not sure I'd want to, either.  ;D
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Tags: