February 27, 2020, 04:13:53 AM

Author Topic: Let’s talk about book Titles  (Read 331 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Let’s talk about book Titles
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »
Best

Worst

Most amusing/humorous
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

Re: Let’s talk about book Titles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:16:13 PM »
The Thing of Person
The Thing of Place

Though at the same time I have to say that "A Princess of Mars" is probably one of the best titles ever. Because Mars is not just some random letters but a place we know. And we also know that there are no princesses on Mars, so it immediately gets attention. And then you start wondering in what weird setting there is a princess of Mars. You already have a strong hook and you don't know anything about the story yet. That's a whole marketing campaign just in the title.
Also, "a princess" sounds much more mysterious than "the princess".
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:39 PM »
A good title should put a question in your head. That's why cryptic-sounding titles work so well, I think. Like Yoon Ha Lee's series: Ninefox Gambit, Raven Strategem, and Revenant Gun. They all make you wonder why that name is about. The answer is found within.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 10:15:24 PM »
Well said, Magnus! A good title starts to create the world of the story right there on the cover, so it should offer a promise and a mystery and a hook.

As with so many things, specificity is good - a Princess of Mars is a great title because it creates a juxtaposition and a curiosity, as Yora noted. But so often with fantasy titles - "The Sword of Destiny" - all it tells you is that this is going to be a fantasy novel. It's got swords! It's got prophecy! Come along! And honestly, sometimes that's enough. But it's not really all that memorable.

I think YA fantasy does well with titling, really creating great atmosphere and mystery and wonder and sense of adventure, AND hitting their target audience dead on. Some of my favourites: "A Darkness Strange and Lovely", "The Girl from Everywhere", "The Wrath and the Dawn", "The Dream Thieves", "The Sin Eater's Daughter".

Offline Bender

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
I don't like simplistic titles like John Gwynne's Wrath, Ruin and such.

A good tile should be relatable AFTER you've read the book. I don't like too random enigmatic titles just for the sake.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »
Why so serious?

I'll let you decide where it fits on the scale...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyone_Poops

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:02:36 AM »
J. V Jones The Book of Words always amused me. It's a book, decently sized, too. I'd kind of hope it would have words in it. I read a thing on her blog where she had a title she'd always used for it, and they wouldn't publish it with that (I think it was deemed to be too romantic), yet the best they could come up with was The Book of Words. Seriously? One of my favourites and most unwieldy ones, yet still great is The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente.
The Hobbit is also great. Short and to the point and when it came out I'd think that would make people pick it up just to find out exactly what a hobbit was and why someone had written a book about it.

Offline isos81

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 06:24:08 AM »
I don't like ambigious or too general titles. I must immediately remember the book right after I hear the title. That's a good title.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 06:37:22 AM »
City of chairs:P
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »
City of chairs:P

Now that's a very good example since I'll never ever forget that :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Peat

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 02:01:29 AM »
I'd kept meaning to add to this thread and just got reminded when putting in a review for Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri on Goodreads and there's three of them and two Empires of Sand. And you know what, any title that has been used that many times and doesn't even sound iconic is just a bad title.

And to me, its the long and vague ones that annoy me. Demon Lord of Karanda has stuck with me, but it's also pretty lame. I love RJ Barker's books but Age of Assassins? King of Assassins? Come on man. I hear why people are ragging on the short ones, but at least they're short and meangingless and not long and meaningless. Although I like one word ones. Legend. Magician. They're iconic to me. Although my favourite one worder is Jingo.

I love the poetic and meaningful ones. Bridge of Birds. Winter Warriors. House of Binding Thorns.

But my absolute favourite ones are the ones in the Dresden Files because they have that meaning and they're funny.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 02:29:57 AM »
I've always felt a lot of the older Xanth books have great titles.  Dragon on a Pedestal, Golem in the Gears, Man from Mundania, Demons Don't Dream, and the very memorable Ogre, Ogre;D

All kidding aside though, The Source of Magic is a near perfect book title in my opinion.  It might as well be The Call of the Wild of fantasy.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is on the Mount Rushmore of fantasy titles as well. 
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »
I'd kept meaning to add to this thread and just got reminded when putting in a review for Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri on Goodreads and there's three of them and two Empires of Sand. And you know what, any title that has been used that many times and doesn't even sound iconic is just a bad title.

And to me, its the long and vague ones that annoy me. Demon Lord of Karanda has stuck with me, but it's also pretty lame. I love RJ Barker's books but Age of Assassins? King of Assassins? Come on man. I hear why people are ragging on the short ones, but at least they're short and meangingless and not long and meaningless. Although I like one word ones. Legend. Magician. They're iconic to me. Although my favourite one worder is Jingo.

I love the poetic and meaningful ones. Bridge of Birds. Winter Warriors. House of Binding Thorns.

But my absolute favourite ones are the ones in the Dresden Files because they have that meaning and they're funny.
And the Dresdens are all 2 words.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com