November 24, 2020, 09:25:52 PM

Author Topic: KJ Parker  (Read 20409 times)

Offline Bender

Re: KJ Parker
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2020, 05:14:02 PM »
After reading this, I'm tempted to give KJP another shot by reading The Folding Knife.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2020, 12:18:40 AM »
The Folding Knife is definitely a great piece of work. It has similar cynicisms as Sixteen Ways, but isn't as funny. Solidly excellent, though.

My favourite Parker for a long time was the Scavenger trilogy, first book Shadow, because it was just so mind-bendy - like Parker does the Bourne Identity, but with a lot more flashback chicanery. I think my favourite now is Two of Swords but it is very opaque - Parker's style is in full force and I totally understand how Alex could have had trouble getting into it. It was originally serialised as novellas, and each has a different POV, sort of baton-passing the story along from person to person, which gives an amazing sense of the scope of the world and conflict, but can make it harder to follow (especially because Parker has a tendency to not use proper names, just use "she" and "he", intentionally causing confusion). I love it because of that scope, and because it feels like the first time he's had a central female character who was really developed, and because the emotional throughline was outstanding. But it is definitely NOT the snappy Sixteen-Ways version of Parker!

(I almost wonder if he came clean as being Tom Holt because he wanted to get funnier with his Parker work...)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2020, 09:02:54 AM »
How great is The Folding Knife, really? Due to most K. J. Parker's works being so rare to find, I couldn't find it at my usual online bookstore (which usually have pretty much everything) I'm having to resort to amazon for this, and the prize there is around is almost $30 even for used copies. (That's like 2-3 book's worth where I came from) Would this purchase be worth it?

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2020, 09:27:35 AM »
How great is The Folding Knife, really? Due to most K. J. Parker's works being so rare to find, I couldn't find it at my usual online bookstore (which usually have pretty much everything) I'm having to resort to amazon for this, and the prize there is around is almost $30 even for used copies. (That's like 2-3 book's worth where I came from) Would this purchase be worth it?

Excuse me while I have a moment of strangled outrage about getting two or even three books for $30. ;D

I love The Folding Knife, but I don't know if it's two or three books worth of great. If you'd really enjoyed other Parker and wanted to complete, then I'd say yes, sure, but if you're not quite sure, then it's a bit of a gamble. Is there any other way you could try it out first? Library?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »

Excuse me while I have a moment of strangled outrage about getting two or even three books for $30. ;D

I love The Folding Knife, but I don't know if it's two or three books worth of great. If you'd really enjoyed other Parker and wanted to complete, then I'd say yes, sure, but if you're not quite sure, then it's a bit of a gamble. Is there any other way you could try it out first? Library?

They're really that cheap in my country, hahah.  ;D Unfortunately we haven't got a library with english books here, much less fantasy books. Maybe I'll try Kindle, but I've neither the app or the tablet or even want to read books on screens at all, so there's that.  ???