July 06, 2020, 12:21:04 PM

Author Topic: Just Finished Emperor of Thorns  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Raizen

• Tribute
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
Just Finished Emperor of Thorns
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »
So I just finished The Broken Empire Trilogy....that was a beautiful ending.  There are few trilogies/series that end with me completely satisfied, but Emperor of Thorns nailed it.  The growth of Jorg from Prince, through King, and ending with this book was incredible.  I felt like I had known this character for years instead of the month it took to read the trilogy.  I felt proud of his moments of relative triumph and closed the book with a smile.  This was a fantastic journey, and a damn fine read.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Just Finished Emperor of Thorns
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
Yay!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:04:22 PM »
I felt the same way about Jorg; really liked the growth and change while remaining true to the character.

I didn't feel at all the same way about (do not read if you haven't finished the trilogy; major spoiler)
Spoiler for Hiden:
...his brother. It worked on a sort of poetic, circular closure level. But I just didn't believe the age of the boy relative to dark lord status.

Still, damn good read.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »
Really enjoyed the ending. I had problems reconciling Jorgs age at the beginning of the trilogy but less so with how it all panned out.

Leap into Prince of fools the writing is different but that trilogy is also an excellent read.

Offline Raizen

• Tribute
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »
Is prince of fools set right after Emperor of Thorns or does it happen sometime during Jorg's books?
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »
Is prince of fools set right after Emperor of Thorns or does it happen sometime during Jorg's books?

Haven't read the new trilogy, but I think it's set during or right before King of Thorns.

Loved Emperor, though. Had a hard time debating if my favorite was that one or Kings. Went with the 3rd book because I just adore it. Ending still bothers me a bit, but maybe that needs a reread to fix.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
 The two tales touch briefly in Prince of Fools. So it's different events in the same world. Jalan is older than Jorg by about 5 years (from my addled memory). Fools is a different story with Marks exquisite characterization it has a very different perspective and in some ways is a darker tale than Thorns.