July 13, 2020, 10:06:36 PM

Author Topic: January 2020 book club pick: The Bear and the Nightingale  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
January 2020 book club pick: The Bear and the Nightingale
« on: November 25, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
The book will be The Bear and The Nightingale by Kathrine Arden get your copies for Jan. Time for a fairy tale in the winter nights.

"A magical debut novel for readers of Naomi Novik's Uprooted, Erin Morgenstern'sThe Night Circus, and Neil Gaiman's myth-rich fantasies, The Bear and the Nightingale spins an irresistible spell as it announces the arrival of a singular talent with a gorgeous voice.

At the edge of the Russian wilderness, winter lasts most of the year and the snowdrifts grow taller than houses. But Vasilisa doesn't mind--she spends the winter nights huddled around the embers of a fire with her beloved siblings, listening to her nurse's fairy tales. Above all, she loves the chilling story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon, who appears in the frigid night to claim unwary souls. Wise Russians fear him, her nurse says, and honor the spirits of house and yard and forest that protect their homes from evil. After Vasilisa's mother dies, her father goes to Moscow and brings home a new wife. Fiercely devout, city-bred, Vasilisa's new stepmother forbids her family from honoring the household spirits. The family acquiesces, but Vasilisa is frightened, sensing that more hinges upon their rituals than anyone knows. And indeed, crops begin to fail, evil creatures of the forest creep nearer, and misfortune stalks the village. All the while, Vasilisa's stepmother grows ever harsher in her determination to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for marriage or confinement in a convent. As danger circles nearer, Vasilisa must defy even the people she loves and call on dangerous gifts she has long concealed--this, in order to protect her family from a threat that seems to have stepped from her nurse's most frightening tales.

Advance praise for The Bear and the Nightingale "An extraordinary retelling of a very old tale. A Russian setting adds unfamiliar spice to the story of a young woman who does not rebel against the limits of her role in her culture so much as transcend them. The Bear and the Nightingale is a wonderfully layered novel of family and the harsh wonders of deep winter magic."--Robin Hobb, bestselling author of the Fitz and the Fool trilogy

"A beautiful deep-winter story, full of magic and monsters and the sharp edges of growing up."--Naomi Novik, bestselling author of Uprooted"--

"In a village at the edge of the wilderness of northern Russia, where the winds blow cold and the snow falls many months of the year, a stranger with piercing blue eyes presents a new father with a gift - a precious jewel on a delicate chain, intended for his young daughter. Uncertain of its meaning, Pytor hides the gift away and Vasya grows up a wild, willful girl, to the chagrin of her family. But when mysterious forces threaten the happiness of their village, Vasya discovers that, armed only with the necklace, she may be the only one who can keep the darkness at bay"--
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:54:27 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

Re: January 2020 book club pick
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »
Will this be the next read-along?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
Yes in January,  Then I will try to do one book a month. I will try to mix them up a bit so we get to read different genres  of fantasy or sci-fi.

Don’t worry we will do an epic fantasy one eventually.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
Yes in January,  Then I will try to do one book a month. I will try to mix them up a bit so we get to read different genres  of fantasy or sci-fi.

I do not like getting out of the series but I'll join the rereads as much as I can to broaden my spectrum.

Don’t worry we will do an epic fantasy one eventually.

Why don't we register the epic fantasy for February :) We could also choose it from our forum writers' books.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
How about Empire of chains? By  Ryan W Mueller For Feb.

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »

Ok. If he is a forum member :)

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
Yes his a member.

Also  I want to rotate between male and female authors. One month male the next female and so on.

Offline isos81

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »
Yes his a member.

Also  I want to rotate between male and female authors. One month male the next female and so on.

Very nice idea. I wanted to increase the number of female authors I read, too :)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 09:21:54 PM »
Great choice, count me in! :)

For the next months we could do polls and decide for a book democratically - unless you want to be the god emperor of the FF book club, which I'm okay with too. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 10:36:44 PM »

For the next months we could do polls and decide for a book democratically - unless you want to be the god emperor of the FF book club, which I'm okay with too. ;)

I’m thinking of being the God Emperor of the book club but only for the short term.

. After March  we will do polls and see how there go. I  remember when Arry did some polls  and people  were voting for their favourite books and not being active in the book club as there already read the  story already.  I want members to vote/nominate  for new books to them as that way there  be more likely to be active in the book club.

Offline isos81

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 06:11:35 AM »

I’m thinking of being the God Emperor of the book club but only for the short term.

. After March  we will do polls and see how there go. I  remember when Arry did some polls  and people  were voting for their favourite books and not being active in the book club as there already read the  story already.  I want members to vote/nominate  for new books to them as that way there  be more likely to be active in the book club.

Maybe there can be a rule that only previous "Read-Along" participants can vote :)

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »
That’s a good idea. Remember to rotate between male and female authors. Stick to first in  a series or standalones.

Jan: Bear and the Nightingale

Feb: Empire of Chains

Mar: I pick the  book for March , members vote for a book for April.

April: voted book, members vote for a book for May.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:02:33 AM by Eclipse »

Online Bender

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »
May: Eclipse picks a book, everyone MUST vote for it. Democracy wins.  8)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 05:23:44 PM »

Ok. If he is a forum member :)

Yep. Definitely a forum member. I just haven't been around much lately. Life's been tough this last year.

Online Bender

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that Ryan. New year is around the corner with new beginnings. Keep the fight goin...
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6