September 30, 2020, 09:05:59 AM

Author Topic: Is Sword & Sorcery outdated? And how can it move forward?  (Read 10095 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Is Sword & Sorcery outdated? And how can it move forward?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
That's a very interesting view of Howard's "racism, sexism", etc.  You make me want to go back and read some more to see whether I align with your argument.

Hmm. Soon...
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
It's not so obvious when you just grab a Conan story or two. Some of the things he wrote in correspondence with other writers provide a lot of context to how he was thinking about those things. With that in mind, the stories look quite different from first impressions.

I recommend reading the hilariously titled stand-alone story Pigeons from Hell. Widely considered one of his best and with some interesting examinations of both women and blacks in early 20th century Texas.

Here's a pretty good, extensive article on the subject.
Women have always been the inspiration for men, and just as there are thousands of unknown great ones among men, there have been countless women whose names have never been blazoned across the stars, but who have inspired men on to glory.  And as for their fickleness– as long as men write the literature of the world, they will rant about the unfaithfulness of the fair sex, forgetting their own infidelities.  Men are as fickle as women.  Women have been kept in servitude so long that if they lack in discernment and intellect it is scarcely their fault.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:12:01 AM by Yora »
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
I think "traditional" S&S is outdated, but so is a lot of traditional Epic or Heroic Fantasy. I don't think there's anything inherent in S&S that makes it hard to update to the modern era

Is Epic fantasy really outdated? seems to be a new trilogies released each month to me anyway.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate