June 05, 2020, 11:32:14 PM

Author Topic: In desperate need of a new book!  (Read 4412 times)

Offline shyeviolett

In desperate need of a new book!
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
Hello all! Finally registered though I've lurked for a while and gotten many good recs.

I just finished both days of the Kingkiller chronicles and now I'm in book withdrawal and have nothing in the wings. Help!!

What I love:

Pure fantasy favorites:
WOT (Duh)
LOTR
ASOIAF
Kingkiller Chronicles

I also LOVE historical fiction type fantasy about Avalon/ancient Greece and such.

Big fan of accurate his-fic as well (Penman, Chadwick, Gregory)

I love witch based stuff as well. And some western (McMurtry).

(I'm not TOO picky, clearly)

What I don't like is high mystery and heist based stories. I also don't like anything even remotely modern. Futuristic is tough- the only time I like it is if it's VERY dystopian.

I tried getting into Mistborn as well and I haven't been able to do it for some reason.

Anything coming to mind? :)

Offline andreasn

Re: In desperate need of a new book!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
You seem very similar in taste to me because you have the exact same favorites as me, so I*m just going to recommend other stuff I've enjoyed. ok, Robin Hobb's books are very good although their a bit slow and my next book to read is "the lies of Locke Lamora" by scott lynch, it seems totally awesome!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
Based on your taste, I would recommend Peter V. Brett ("The Warded Man / The Painted Man" depending on UK / US).

If you also enjoy Avalon/Arthurian/Celtic, than you will surely enjoy Juliet Marillier. Try her Sevenwaters trilogy first, starting with "Daughter of the Forest".
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
You might try Abercrombie. I like Best Served Cold the best.

Jaqueline Carey's Banewreaker takes traditional, pure fantasy and turns it on its head. You get the POV of the "dark lord" and his forces.

Dennis McKiernan's Dragondoom is pure, traditional fantasy, and a lot of fun.

I agree with your assessment of Mistborn as well. I gave up on the first one very early on, and I haven't picked up anything by Sanderson since, except for his work on WoT.

I agree with the recommendation, above, of The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Offline shyeviolett

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
Based on your taste, I would recommend Peter V. Brett ("The Warded Man / The Painted Man" depending on UK / US).

If you also enjoy Avalon/Arthurian/Celtic, than you will surely enjoy Juliet Marillier. Try her Sevenwaters trilogy first, starting with "Daughter of the Forest".

Ohhh. I think I'm going to have to go with Sevenwaters first. It's been a while since I ran out of good Avalon type books! Thanks!

Offline shyeviolett

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
You might try Abercrombie. I like Best Served Cold the best.

Jaqueline Carey's Banewreaker takes traditional, pure fantasy and turns it on its head. You get the POV of the "dark lord" and his forces.

Dennis McKiernan's Dragondoom is pure, traditional fantasy, and a lot of fun.

I agree with your assessment of Mistborn as well. I gave up on the first one very early on, and I haven't picked up anything by Sanderson since, except for his work on WoT.

I agree with the recommendation, above, of The Lies of Locke Lamora.

I think DragonDoom is next on the list.

Thanks everyone!

Offline pw27

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
The Barrow, by Mark Smylie is excellent. I just posted in this forum about it and I also reviewed it. Very similar to Malazan books, Game of Thrones, and First Law by Joe Abercrombie. I just saw you don't like heist stories and it's not really a heist but rather a quest for a relic. So if you like relic hunts, you should love it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:51:40 PM by pw27 »

Offline magisensei

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
You might want to consider Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series based on Camelot. 

If you historical fantasy - you have to try Guy Gavriel Kay - always a great read. 

Jacqueline Carey - is also a possibility - for a different take on an epic fantasy

You might consider Naomi Novik and her Temeraire series based in a Napoleonic world with dragons

If you enjoy historical fantasy but want something with a twist you might consider any of the Victorian Steam punk type series that have appeared in the last few years e.g. Cherie Priest and her Clockwork century series is quite good. 

Brandon Sanderson is of course one of the better fantasy writers to appear in the last few years - his Elantris is a must (first solo novel) and he has a new Epic series - book 2 "world of radiance" just came out. 

For an enjoyable read through an ongoing fantasy world - you might want to consider Mercedes Lackey and her Valdemar series - it has fantasy, magic, world-building, interesting set of characters and is part of a huge series. 

If you don't mind a science fiction twist to fantasy - you might want to consider Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series as well. 

I also recommend trying Elizabeth Moon's the Deed of Paksenarrion. 

Offline Ashes

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
To anybody who is looking for a read I allways reccomend David Gemmell's Rigante series.
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
If you say you don't like heist-based stories, then I really don't recommend Lies of Locke Lamora, which is basically a big heist.

You might like to try Anne Lyle, starting with The prince of lies (fantasy in Elizabethan England).
Tom Lloyd's Twilight series might be for you too.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »
Ah, yes. The Paks books, by Elizabeth Moon. Excellent.

I just tried for the second time to read Her Majesty's Dragon, and for the second time set it aside, so I can't recommend that. Poorly executed, in my opinion.

The Darkover Books are great. And yeah, you can't go wrong with anything by Guy Gavriel Kay :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »
Based on what you liked and have read I'd second the person who suggested David Gemmel. You may also want to look at Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (first book The Dragonbone Chair) trilogy.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
To echo others, going by your list, Peter Brett, David Gemmel (Drenai books), Brent Weeks, Scott Lynch could all be good choices. Or looking at less famous works: Dan Polansky, Courtney Schafer, Teresa Frohock, Doug Hulick...

You might try Luke Scull or Snorri Kristjansson too.

I love Myke Cole's work but that's not really close to your reading.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 11:00:01 PM »
Daniel Abraham (a friend of George R.R Martin) has an epic fantasy called The Dagger and the Coin (first book The Dragon's Path) which you may also enjoy. You could also look at a couple of historical fiction writers like Bernard Cornwell or Conn Iggulden. I can recommend Iggulden's Conqueror series about the Khan dynasty in China from Genghis to Kublai.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »
Poor guy! I can't see any clues from his initial posts that he would enjoy being submitted to Brett or Weeks!

Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice is a fantastic start to a series of trilogies
  Or how about KJ Parker's Folding Knife if you like fantasy with a feel of a historical epic?
The Real Powers That Be