September 20, 2019, 11:55:41 PM

Author Topic: I want hammers  (Read 6113 times)

Offline YordanZh

Re: I want hammers
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »

It's part of the Warhammer Fantasy rather than 40k, and even then it's set about 2,500 years before most other Warhammer Fantasy books. You don't need any of the games or other books to read Legend of Sigmar though. It stands alone really well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
(Though Book 3 has some crossover with another Warhammer trilogy)

Straight to the TBR pile than, thanks! Sounds like a suitable trilogy to get me into the Warhammer world.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 12:44:50 AM »
What was Jean's weapon of choice in Gentlemen Batsards? I know it wasn't a sword.

Cleaver?
Mace?
could it have been........ hammer?

Twin axes?
They weren't axes as such. Hatchets, smaller versions. He named them the Wicked Sisters. I think one of the main characters in Farseer preferred to use an axe in battle. Hammers aren't a usual weapon, but they are used. Dwarves like hammers and also mattocks. I still have trouble seeing a mattock being an effective battle weapon, but if used properly I'm sure one could do a variety of damage.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »
They weren't axes as such. Hatchets, smaller versions. He named them the Wicked Sisters. I think one of the main characters in Farseer preferred to use an axe in battle. Hammers aren't a usual weapon, but they are used. Dwarves like hammers and also mattocks. I still have trouble seeing a mattock being an effective battle weapon, but if used properly I'm sure one could do a variety of damage.

Well, any weapon with a weight balance point far from the handle is effective against armor, and mattocks in particular can be effective against shields as well. :P

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
Your Hero will, of course, be named Maxwell.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Your Hero will, of course, be named Maxwell.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but I can make it work. Maybe as a nickname? Gorgon "Maxwell" Du'umsong, The Headcrusher? Yeah, that has a nice ring to it. ;D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
I have (play)fought with hammers, maces and the like and they are scary to use safely, you need to be far more carefull than using blades which can be blunted (rebated) with a hammer or mace you have the actual weapon in your hands there is little you can do to make it safer. 15th centuary pole hammers and the like tend to have a couple of spikes or a spike and a blade on them. The one opposite the head is your best choice as the hammer head is really only there to provide weight behind that spike.

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
I have (play)fought with hammers, maces and the like and they are scary to use safely, you need to be far more carefull than using blades which can be blunted (rebated) with a hammer or mace you have the actual weapon in your hands there is little you can do to make it safer. 15th centuary pole hammers and the like tend to have a couple of spikes or a spike and a blade on them. The one opposite the head is your best choice as the hammer head is really only there to provide weight behind that spike.

And that's why we read and write fantasy - so we can make warhammers fun. ;D
(That's like, the Number 1 reason)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
The Hammer and the Blade by Paul S. Kemp?

Haven't read it, but that's the first thing that pops up from a quick google search for Fantasy book Hammers.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
The Hammer and the Blade by Paul S. Kemp?

Haven't read it, but that's the first thing that pops up from a quick google search for Fantasy book Hammers.

Based on the cover, it looks like what I'm searching for. Thanks! I usually google everything, even the most unnecessary things, but I just didn't think to google that. :)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 04:32:18 AM »
What was Jean's weapon of choice in Gentlemen Batsards? I know it wasn't a sword.

Cleaver?
Mace?

Twin axes?

Fitz preferred the axe in Farseer.

Perrin used a hammer in WoT but he wasn't the main character and he didn't use it that much.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 05:54:50 AM »

Cleaver?
Mace?

Twin axes?

Fitz preferred the axe in Farseer.

Perrin used a hammer in WoT but he wasn't the main character and he didn't use it that much.
That's right I remember him being lectured to about how crude a weapon it was and why that made it the right one for him.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Josh Brannan

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
One of my main characters is named "The Hammer" and he indeed wields a hammer! Unfortunately, my book won't be out until September.

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »
One of my main characters is named "The Hammer" and he indeed wields a hammer! Unfortunately, my book won't be out until September.

That's not too far. ;)