August 25, 2019, 02:03:20 AM

Author Topic: I want hammers  (Read 6064 times)

Offline YordanZh

I want hammers
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
Well, that's a bit uncomfortable. But I've been around for long enough so I can start spilling my dirty little secrets to you guys. I'm looking for novels with main characters wielding ... warhammers.

I mean Robert Baratheon and Perrin Aybara as protagonists instead of side/supporting characters. I mean ... well, you get what I mean. My girlfriend jokes that I have a "hammer fetish" but I swear I just ... just like them.

So ... yeah. I'm looking for fantasy novels with hammer-wielding protagonists. Big, almost unwieldy, close to impractical warhammers. I don't care about the sub-genre, I read all kinds of fantasy. I'd prefer if said protagonist is a human tho. A side reason I'm looking for such novels is because of an idea I have for a future book so I have to start educating myself on the subject of ... hammers.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: I want hammers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
My wife and I were given the book: "A Grown-ups Cut Out Doll Book of Sex" when we got married. I think it must have come from my dad. In it was the advice to give the man's assets a name, just not the name of a tool or a weapon.

Hey, I didn't write it. I just pass on the world's wisdom wherever I see it may be necessary. ;)  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 06:33:48 PM »
Yes, I'm doomed to remain misunderstood. A man and his love for warhammers, shunned from society... A tragedy...

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
I can't remember a single book I've read where the hero's weapon of choice is a hammer... sorry!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »
the shame!  what about wulfgar?!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wulfgar#Novels

he wields aegis-fang!  one of my faves from when i was like ... well ... let's just say a long, long time ago.  i remember it being massive, head-crushing destruction of the fully satisfying sort.  the only downer may be that drizzt kind of draws a lot of attention.

tho.  keep in mind.  that was a hundred years ago.  mmmv.  (my memory may vary)

also, fully understand, in my head from now on, you ARE nathan fillion.
http://drhorrible.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Hammer

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
What was Jean's weapon of choice in Gentlemen Batsards? I know it wasn't a sword.

Cleaver?
Mace?
could it have been........ hammer?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
What was Jean's weapon of choice in Gentlemen Batsards? I know it wasn't a sword.

Cleaver?
Mace?

Twin axes?
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »

Cleaver?
Mace?
@Elfy will know ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »

Cleaver?
Mace?

Twin axes?

Damn, that was it. Yeah
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 07:08:59 PM »
the shame!  what about wulfgar?!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wulfgar#Novels

he wields aegis-fang!  one of my faves from when i was like ... well ... let's just say a long, long time ago.  i remember it being massive, head-crushing destruction of the fully satisfying sort.  the only downer may be that drizzt kind of draws a lot of attention.

tho.  keep in mind.  that was a hundred years ago.  mmmv.  (my memory may vary)

also, fully understand, in my head from now on, you ARE nathan fillion.
http://drhorrible.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Hammer

Thanks a bunch, both for Wulfgar and for comparing me with Nathan! I'm honored. ;D

Mace?

Maces work too, poor man's hammers. :P

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »

Mace?

Maces work too, poor man's hammers. :P

Maces! I got maces for you.
Read A Crown for Cold Silver. Lots of characters with lots of weapons. Sister something-or-other has a mace.
And it's a fun book.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 07:32:24 PM »
Maces! I got maces for you.
Read A Crown for Cold Silver. Lots of characters with lots of weapons. Sister something-or-other has a mace.
And it's a fun book.

Oh, that sounds interesting, thanks!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
The Legend of Sigmar Trilogy from Black Library is all about a warhammer, really. Well, a hammer and some guy named Sigmar.

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
The Legend of Sigmar Trilogy from Black Library is all about a warhammer, really. Well, a hammer and some guy named Sigmar.

Is that part of the Warhammer 40k books? I've been meaning to read those but since I haven't played any of the games I've been postponing them. (I've read and liked all the Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft books but I've also played and loved those games so I can't be objective on whether I would've loved the books if I didn't play the games.)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »

Is that part of the Warhammer 40k books? I've been meaning to read those but since I haven't played any of the games I've been postponing them. (I've read and liked all the Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft books but I've also played and loved those games so I can't be objective on whether I would've loved the books if I didn't play the games.)

It's part of the Warhammer Fantasy rather than 40k, and even then it's set about 2,500 years before most other Warhammer Fantasy books. You don't need any of the games or other books to read Legend of Sigmar though. It stands alone really well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
(Though Book 3 has some crossover with another Warhammer trilogy)