May 24, 2019, 10:56:20 PM

Author Topic: How realistic do you want your fantasy?  (Read 5649 times)

Offline S.B Nova

Re: How realistic do you want your fantasy?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39:50 AM »
I'd say the settings don't need to be fantastical, but when it comes down to it all characters are motivated by things that are accessible to people.

Offline marshall_lamour

• Soulfinder
  • Creator of the "Children of Cataclysm" series.
    • View Profile
    • Thriambus
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 01:29:20 AM »
That said, I do like making it as realistic as possible, and often go into a whole lot of detail. Even if no one else knows, I think I should, because it just makes me understand what I'm creating on a deeper level.

I think that this is probably the most important means of achieving consistency in the more fantastical elements of a story.

I have two main means of bringing the natural core of seemingly supernatural elements to the surface: abstractly, through esoteric insight, and empirically, through future research. This is somewhat baked into the fabric of my narrative, considering its ancient history and the span of its reach into a relatively far future.

It actually approaches science fiction in this way, and later books will be essentially sci-fi; but while everything seemingly supernatural has an empirical explanation, that doesn't mean it will be explained (owing to the limits of the technological capacity and availability of resources of a given time period). More likely, there will be disparate theories on such matters.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:56:59 PM by marshall_lamour »
Discover the world of Aeva in book one of the Children of Cataclysm series: Sons of Exile

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 07:47:26 AM »
I just need everything to have a solid internal consistency, regardless of how fantastical, along with being able to care about the protagonists.  The two are related.

Offline Yora

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
I've recently been thinking that perhaps there is too much realism in fantasy these days. What I really would like to see are more worlds that are not necessarily unrealistic, but somewhat unreal. 15th century in which alchemy is a hard science and magic a branch of physics seems to be very popular right now. There are a few cases of completely surreal worlds like Diskworld or Zamonia, but there seems to be very little inbetween. Which I consider a loss.
Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

There is nothing to read!

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
Where I live we are being tought about a "sinusoid of literary eras" or "sinusoid of historical periods". You propably have it too - I don't know. Basically, after times of "rationality and knowledge", there are times of "faith and feelings". Ups and downs - just like sinusoid. I could not find anything in english but I transleted this one (propably with some mistakes, but you'll get what I mean):

Propably "now" is the era of rationality in literature, so even fantasy is more and more rational. Maybe in 10-20 years people will get bored of it, and the period of "true fantasy" and surreality will arise.
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline Yora

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 01:23:46 PM »
Some kind of "pork cycle" seems very likely. An endless line of reactions and counter-reactions. And given the means of distribution and exchange of ideas, that cycle probably is much faster now, so that image might not be too far off. Instead of several centuries it's now probably down to a scale of a couple decades.
As a pure hunch, I think we're probably currently on the downslope towards more irrantional themes. But how far; who knows?
Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

There is nothing to read!

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »
Some kind of "pork cycle" seems very likely. An endless line of reactions and counter-reactions. And given the means of distribution and exchange of ideas, that cycle probably is much faster now, so that image might not be too far off. Instead of several centuries it's now probably down to a scale of a couple decades.
As a pure hunch, I think we're probably currently on the downslope towards more irrantional themes. But how far; who knows?

We were actually talking about that in one of my college classes. I think my professor compared it to a pendulum.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.