October 25, 2020, 04:44:19 PM

Author Topic: How many authors get your automatic buy treatment?  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Druss

Re: How many authors get your automatic buy treatment?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
For me there's probably only a couple

Robin Hobb - although she pushed her luck with the Soldier Son nonsense. I've found myself emotionally invested in her world somehow so I let it slide.
Anthony Ryan - I will buy further Tower Lord books no matter what. Just super engrossed in the series.

Other then that not really, just because I'm a big fan of someone doesn't mean Ill just give them money for no reason. Although there are many authors who would have to do something terrible for me not to give their latest offering a go.

Offline Luke Matthews

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
When I started thinking about this question, I realized that I don't really have any "auto-buy" authors anymore. There was a time when I bought everything Michael Crichton wrote, but I think I was turned off of auto-buying anyone's books by David Eddings.

I grew up on The Belgariad and The Mallorean. I love nearly every book associated with those characters (except, maybe, the Rivan Codex). So, I had a "buy anything by David Eddings" policy for a while, right up until I bought The Losers. The Losers was extraordinarily boring, and so far afield from the Belgariad, but I was willing to excuse some of its failings since it was one of Eddings' first books. The book that destroyed the policy for me was The Redmeption of Althalus. 800 pages and *nothing happens*.

That was the book that made me wary of auto-buying anything, even from an author that I'm nearly fanatical about. More recently, I've found authors whose style I love, but I can't be driven to blindly pick up their work. I would've said that about Patrick Rothfuss, but I'm militantly uninterested in The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Daniel Abraham hooked me with the Long Price Quartet, but it took some convincing for me to pick up Leviathan Wakes.

So, I don't have any auto-buy authors anymore, and it's all David Eddings' fault.
CONSTRUCT, Book I of The Chronicler Saga, is available now on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and iBooks.

Check it out at ChroniclerSaga.com!

BeardKing

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »
GRRM
Joe Abercrombie
Robin Hobb
Michael J. Sullivan

For now. I'm sure there will be others as I read new stuff. :)

Offline AniOneHereAlive

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 04:49:53 AM »
Two

Terry Goodkind
Andrzej Sapkowski

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:49:50 PM by AniOneHereAlive »

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
Paul F Wilson (Repairman Jack series)

Glen Cook (Garrett Files)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
I don't think there is an author specifically I will auto buy. There are definitely series that I do this for, but author specific?  I dunno.

Sandersons Stormlight & mistborn books, Scott lynch and locke. - if/when he releases something outside of the locke books I will have to see what it's about first. Ditto Rothfuss with Kvothe. 

Discworld novels for sure.

So, perhaps to an extent?
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »
Bujold
Cherryh
Pratchett

That's it -- everyone else is on a "does it look interesting/my kind of thing" basis
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 05:28:02 AM »
I don't think there is an author specifically I will auto buy. There are definitely series that I do this for, but author specific?  I dunno.

Sandersons Stormlight & mistborn books, Scott lynch and locke. - if/when he releases something outside of the locke books I will have to see what it's about first. Ditto Rothfuss with Kvothe. 

Discworld novels for sure.

So, perhaps to an extent?
If you have a look at Scott's site there's a few chapters of an old style pulp SF called Queen of the Iron Sands. It's quite a lot of fun, and he said at Worldcon that he does have plans to complete that as an actual book and release it at some time. Of course this all depends on him actually getting the time away from the GB books to write that, but what is up there is highly entertaining.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »
Paul F Wilson (Repairman Jack series)

Glen Cook (Garrett Files)

John D MacDonald
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bender

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »
None, but some series do. Dresden and Stormlight for example.

Actually, on second thoughts, Sanderson comes really close...but still not a automatic. 
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 10:35:29 PM »
No one is an automatic. If their new work doesn't appeal to me there are no guarantees whatsoever I'll buy their books, but I do have authors whose new book will be an instant buy if it sounds interesting :

Becky Chambers, Ann leckie, Yoon Ha Lee, Timothee Zahn, Madeline Miller, Brandon Sanderson... IF ONLY VERNOR VINGE WOULD WRITE MOOOAAAR....
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 12:46:55 AM »
No one, but if it's a series I like, then I'd just buy the next instalment when it came out.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 12:55:25 AM »
To a certain extent it depends on price/format. Here in Aus, foreign-only hardbacks can be hellish expensive - I won't necessarily go there automatically even for Max Gladstone.

That said, authors who need reasons for me NOT to buy are:
Max Gladstone
NK Jemisin
Guy Gavriel Kay (I'm less into his contemporary-with-fantasy-elements books, but he doesn't do many)
Ben Aaronovitch
Megan Whalen Turner
Scott Lynch
KJ Parker (though I have gaps in the back catalogue from when we had no shelf space)
Rachel Hartman
Genevieve Valentine (everything she does is wildly different, but wildly great)

And to be honest, Tamsyn Muir's showing so far has been so strong I'd be inclined to pick up whatever she does just on the basis that it's going to be fascinatingly well written, regardless of whether it's "my thing". (Space necromancers isn't my thing either, and I have enjoyed the heck out of it.) Similarly, Seth Dickinson's work has been so solid so far, I'd probably follow anywhere.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 05:58:19 AM »
Brandon Sanderson. Almost Mark Lawrence. Marissa Meyer. The first book in every series by V. E. Schwabb (she had a tendency to have really great first books but worse second, third books).

Offline Peat

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
I don't have one and it makes me sad.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/