September 26, 2018, 04:01:42 PM

Author Topic: How do you rate your stars , what does it mean when you give a book a star?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: How do you rate your stars , what does it mean when you give a book a star?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »

It's a purely emotional system without structure or reason, which fluctuates according to my mood at the exact moment I have to put my finger on one of those 5 options.

This is best reply ever- Yay Justan, love your system  ;D  ;D ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Hedin

1 star - Likely DNF, would not recommend to anyone and would not continue series and may not try author again.
2 star - Possible DNF but more than likely just good enough to finish up, unlikely recommendation.  Likely wouldn't continue series, may give author another try.
3 star - Liked it but didn't love it, situational recommendation depending on what the likes of the person I'm recommending to.  Would continue the series but wouldn't be something I was eagerly anticipating.
4 star - Really liked it looking more to seeing more from the author/series.  Would become a blanket recommendation to most readers.
5 star - Loved it and would recommend it to anyone.  Eagerly anticipate continuation of series and/or anything else from the author.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire

It's a purely emotional system without structure or reason, which fluctuates according to my mood at the exact moment I have to put my finger on one of those 5 options.

This is best reply ever- Yay Justan, love your system  ;D  ;D ;D

I second that!  That's pretty much my system too but...

To be honest I almost *never* rate books. (Like sometimes I'm moved to review something, like my dentist is so awesome I'm making a Yelp account just to tell people, or I'm in love with the TV I just got or I'm pissed that this cafe didn't let me use the toilet when I really had to go. But it's rare) With books, it feels too much like grading and I don't feel like I should rate someone else's imagination.   So I'm usually thinking of stars in terms of function--do I want other people to read this book? Or not? sooo...

5--OMG I love this book, it was incredibly meaningful, made me think in a new way, and I want everyone to buy this book and I want the author to have enough cash for footrubs every day. 
4-- I usually just bump it up to 5 if it's at a 4, but not always
3-- I usually don't rate the book at all b/c I don't want to hurt the author's star rating.  It was meh
2-- I usually just don't rate this book at all either... unless it was really close to a 1 and had a single redeeming quality worth noting
1-- I'm pissed that you wrote this book and I think it needs to come with a warning label for anyone who might accidentally open it's pages
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:15:14 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline DrNefario

Yeah, I am the same. I don't use Goodreads, and never review/rate anything on Amazon. The one site I use where I do rate the books I read has half-stars, and I end up giving almost everything 3-4 stars, which is kind of worthless for anyone trying to make a decision. I should probably just make my 3s into 2s and my 4s into 5s.

If I read anything below 3, that's kind of my fault. I'm the one picking my books, and I should be better at it than that.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
If I read anything below 3, that's kind of my fault. I'm the one picking my books, and I should be better at it than that.
But you're not a psychic, you don't know how a specific book is going to be like, even if it appears attractive at first - not your fault!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Hedin

3-- I usually don't rate the book at all b/c I don't want to hurt the author's star rating.  It was meh
2-- I usually just don't rate this book at all either... unless it was really close to a 1 and had a single redeeming

I know you're coming at it from a different angle than I would since you are an author but as a reader if its a 3 then I rate it at 3 regardless of the author's rating or not.  I mostly don't look at ratings much anyways, they always seem higher that what I would do (and don't even get me started on rating a book that hasn't been released yet), but I think they should be how you truly feel about the book.  If there were enough people who rated this way a book could be rated a 4 instead of a more accurate 3.something which can potentially mislead readers and possibly make the author miss something that needs to be improved in later books.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
1-star: Time I will never get back. No redeeming qualities.

2-star: Didn't enjoy it, but I can see how other people might like it.

3-star: It was okay. I probably won't read the sequel, though.

4-star: I liked it. I may or may not pick up sequels depending on whether it's a low-end 4 or a high-end 4.

5-star: I loved it, and I will look for anything by that author to devour.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
2-- I usually just don't rate this book at all either... unless it was really close to a 1 and had a single redeeming

I know you're coming at it from a different angle than I would since you are an author but as a reader if its a 3 then I rate it at 3 regardless of the author's rating or not.  I mostly don't look at ratings much anyways, they always seem higher that what I would do (and don't even get me started on rating a book that hasn't been released yet), but I think they should be how you truly feel about the book.  If there were enough people who rated this way a book could be rated a 4 instead of a more accurate 3.something which can potentially mislead readers and possibly make the author miss something that needs to be improved in later books.

Haha I don't know if it's about being an author (errr attempted author that never finishes editing) or if I'm just lazy :) glad you're out there to balance those of us who don't use the full range of stars out :)

Offline Peat

As someone who uses a similarly truncated palate to Bradley, for me its less about being a would-be author and more about matching the scale that everyone else seems to be using.

If one is trying to help an author though, then frankly a number of bad reviews are actually helpful. There are readers out there who shy away from books where there's no bad reviews at all, or who pick up books by reading bad reviews that concentrate on things they think are cool. One of my friends recently celebrated his first 1 star review, happy in the knowledge that the things they hated most others have mentioned as strengths and that at least some people who don't know him are reading it. Plus, a good critical review can be helpful.

I just simply don't read low scoring books far enough to be comfortable giving them most of the time.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Hi @NedMarcus thought this may interest you

There’s also a similar  thread by nighteyes but I can’t find it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:06:33 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
I like the descriptors for the ratings on Goodreads:

1 - did not like it
2 - it was ok
3 - I liked it
4 - really liked it
5 - it was amazing

I think it's good that people there seem to make better use of the range of ratings, as opposed to just rating everything they like 5 and everything they don't 1. I guess it's why Steam now only has two ratings (recommend or not recommend). I rarely ever rate anything 1 because a book that bad I normally don't finish, and if I didn't finish it, I feel it's not my place to rate it.

When I rate a book three, it means I liked it. It's an above average (2.5) rating and shouldn't be considered bad, in my opinion. The book just wasn't great or amazing.

That being said, I don't think you should be stingy with fives. I've seen some people say they never give fives because it means the book is perfect. That's silly. If you loved it, give it a 5.  :-*
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline NedMarcus

Hi @NedMarcus thought this may interest you

There’s also a similar  thread by nighteyes but I can’t find it.

Thanks!