December 08, 2019, 10:59:13 AM

Author Topic: How do you feel about stand-alone books?  (Read 14731 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: How do you feel about stand-alone books?
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2015, 04:20:23 AM »
Elfy, you should know how badly my conscience is pricking me when I look at all my TBR.   :-[ Please don't encourage me, I am a sucker for giving in to temptation. :)
On this occasion, you should absolutely give in to temptation. It's a wonderful book. When this topic originally appeared I was probably hard put to actually come up with a significant number of fantasy standalones, especially as publishers now tend to like the phrase 'series potential', but then I had a think about it and there are quite a lot. Many of them are on the older end of the scale, but they're there and they cover a good range of the fantasy spectrum, too.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2015, 04:46:56 AM »
Night circus is one of my favourite's next you be saying you haven't read the folding knife hehe
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:31 AM »
Elfy, you should know how badly my conscience is pricking me when I look at all my TBR.   :-[ Please don't encourage me, I am a sucker for giving in to temptation. :)
On this occasion, you should absolutely give in to temptation. It's a wonderful book.

This! Please go read it, it's amazing!! :D

next you be saying you haven't read the folding knife hehe
Nope...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2019, 06:18:29 AM »
I think I prefer Standalone to series now. I really can’t be bothered to wait for book six,seven etc anymore

Standalone and trilogies will do for me.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2019, 06:36:36 AM »
I liked the fact that being the only book we'll ever going to get, the writer will have to put his/her entire all into the story, with not plot elements or effort spared for any other books in the series. The fact that it will end at just this one book, and that there will no longer be anything like this afterwards, also added a nice parting effect that made readers cherish this book even more, since it's a one of a kind exclusive story. That's what I think, hahah. (although I wish some authors would continue with their stand-alones, like The Emperor's Soul for example)