July 19, 2019, 09:16:56 AM

Author Topic: How do you choose your next book?  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Kazreemo

• Acolyte of Aktu, God of Goats
  • Soulfinder
  • Hate will keep you alive where love fails #Jorgism
    • View Profile
Re: How do you choose your next book?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 12:54:38 PM »
If I can get away with it I avoid blurbs like the plague. No idea why. Usually I just go on recommendations. Prince Of Thorns I bought simply because Robin Hobb had a complimentary line recommendation thingy on the front.

I must confess to a certain amount of judging books by their covers.

FORGIVE ME!
I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice

Offline Hedin

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »
I don't keep a large active backlog, at most I might have 3-4 books either from the library or that I have bought to be read at any given time (and most of the time it's less than that).  Most of what I choose to read is based on availability, what can I check out at the library or what books are at a price point I am comfortable with buying.  Lately most of what I think to look up comes from suggestions or discussions on here (which was mainly the reason why I joined the site in the first place) or Goodreads suggestions.

Offline Geekory

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
My primary decision is based on two monthly book clubs, including the one on this site, and although I don't read every book it keeps me busy.

I also have a long wish-list of recommendations from forums, author interviews, friends, and authors I want to read more from. Then when they go on sale at Audible or kindle I buy them and that backlog is getting pretty large.

Recently I compiled a list of 19 series I started and want to finish. If I quit my job and devoted working hours to reading instead it would take me just over two months to read the next book in each series.

I usually pick based on book length and how much time I have before the next book club pick if I'm interested in it. Mood also factors as lately I trying to avoid dark and depressing to lighten up my mood.  I'm trying to mix it up between sf/f, history, science, etc. but I started reading the new Star Wars books as part of May 4th and with the movie news. That just add even more to read...

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
It's crazy to see how some of you guys are so methodical and organised with your reading. Planning your series "to-read", starting books someone else decided on, ect!
I could never do it. Some of you are very industrious! I've remarked by now that if I read and write at the same time, I struggle to focus on either, so I've been reading non-fiction in order to avoid loosing my focus on fiction writing.

This being said, I think someone else picking my next book is the reason I never joined book clubs. Even though some of the best books I've read were forced upon me, I still hate it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
It might sound weird, given what I wrote above, but I kind of hate having to read a specific book with a specific deadline, too. The trick is have a bit of guidance but nothing too prescriptive. If I have a specific book to read, then I won't have a deadline, and if I have a deadline, I'll try not to have a specific book. Otherwise I just start to resent being forced to do something.

That's why I only tend to do book clubs if it's already something I was thinking of reading. Otherwise I tend to prefer more flexible challenges, where I have a bit of room to change my mind, but it's not just a wide-open choice where I might get paralysed by indecision.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 01:45:22 AM »
My TBR is enormous, both real and in wishlists and I am not the least methodical. My choice is nearly always random and I usually have more than one book on the go at the same time. I choose according to my mood or what I am doing. I use audible a great deal for times you can't hold book or kindle.
Usually have one going in print that needs concentration eg Pat Rothfuss and others on audible that are lighter in that they easier to pick up on again eg Kevin Hearne. I always have a Terry Pratchett on hand as well, they are the ultimate enjoyment for me.

Often if I like an author or series I'll go right through whatever is available straight away. The trouble there is  reading  all of them and having to wait a year or more for the next.   I am at the point of struggling between new books and much older ones I want to re-read. This is all the F-F's fault because it tempts me with the first and reminds me of the second. ;D

Agree with all who dislike deadlines, but for economy sake try to use the library who are good about renewing online but I forget and always getting fines.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:52:37 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline madfox11

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »
It's crazy to see how some of you guys are so methodical and organised with your reading. Planning your series "to-read", starting books someone else decided on, ect!
I could never do it.

Same here. When I am in the mood, I start browsing my wish list and recomendation lists and following link after link until I come across something I like, buy it and read it. the exception are a couple of series I follow and where I always buy the next in line, reading them immediately. Then again, once I start reading a book, chances are I finish it in a day or three with way too little sleep ;) There certainly is nothing methodical about it.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
My books are usually selected by book club selections and release dates. But I have started making sure I read 1 book a month that is not a book club read and is not a new release (review book). Something I can pick out just for me and feel like I accomplished something in the way of getting to all the older books that just pile on to Mount TBR. I pick that book based on mood and what sounds good to me at the moment.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 01:12:46 AM »
I'm not all that disciplined really, it's just that if I start a book, I finish it. I went through a period where I seemed to be getting a lot of DNF's and I didn't like that, so now I try to finish everything I start. I can't just put a book down and leave it for ages and then pick something else up and go back to the original later. Lejays17 can do that. Where I have been disciplined this year, is in trying to reread. I'm doing it alphabetically, I'm up to the D's and about halfway through the second book of Michael De Larabeiti's Borribles omnibus. I'm not sure if I can do an E author, the only one we have in the library is Eddings, I reread The Belgariad a few years back and it's not an experience I want to repeat.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 05:03:36 AM »
My entire TBR list is floating around in my head, and I have a mostly precise way I choose. I'll start with the highest priority and go down.

1. Books in a series I'm actively following. Before diving into the newest one, I either have to reread the two latest ones, or, if it's the end of the series, start from the beginning and go all the way to the end.
2. Any Graphic Audio book that has just come out and successfully caught my eye.
3. Books that have been made into a movie or TV show that have caught my eye. I always have to read the book first, and when there's a big fuss about something, I figure I might as well go for it so I can avoid spoilers and participate in the discussions.
4. Books that have caught my eye from the descriptions. This is hard to do. I'm very good at judging, for the most part, if I'll really like a book based on the desc. Sometimes I've been proven epicly wrong, but still.
5. Highly recommended authors.

Also, if I read one series by an author and I like it, I like to go ahead and read the other stuff by that author instead of going back to him or her later. For some reason, it makes it easier.
I just spent the past five minutes trying to write an example of how the top of my TBR Queue is prioritized, but the justifications and order of things is so confusing, when I read it I couldn't understand it. But in the end, what's above is how it works.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 05:56:43 AM »
My entire TBR list is floating around in my head, and I have a mostly precise way I choose. I'll start with the highest priority and go down.

1. Books in a series I'm actively following. Before diving into the newest one, I either have to reread the two latest ones, or, if it's the end of the series, start from the beginning and go all the way to the end.
2. Any Graphic Audio book that has just come out and successfully caught my eye.
3. Books that have been made into a movie or TV show that have caught my eye. I always have to read the book first, and when there's a big fuss about something, I figure I might as well go for it so I can avoid spoilers and participate in the discussions.
4. Books that have caught my eye from the descriptions. This is hard to do. I'm very good at judging, for the most part, if I'll really like a book based on the desc. Sometimes I've been proven epicly wrong, but still.
5. Highly recommended authors.

Also, if I read one series by an author and I like it, I like to go ahead and read the other stuff by that author instead of going back to him or her later. For some reason, it makes it easier.
I just spent the past five minutes trying to write an example of how the top of my TBR Queue is prioritized, but the justifications and order of things is so confusing, when I read it I couldn't understand it. But in the end, what's above is how it works.
I'm a little like you with 3. Not so much TV shows, but I have trouble reading a book after seeing the film. I don't like knowing what's going to happen with a book. Strangely enough the reverse doesn't bother me with a film.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 04:48:28 AM »
It's not too hard to imagine why. With movies, they always cut something out or add something completely unnecessary. So it's always nice to get the original and real story, and then take the movie and see how bad they messed it up.
Of course, that doesn't always happen, but still.