September 20, 2019, 12:36:35 AM

Author Topic: Highly Regarded Books that You Have Struggled Through  (Read 40362 times)

Offline JamesLatimer

Re: Highly Regarded Books that You Have Struggled Through
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
For those struggling with the Worm Ouroboros (which I loved but is completely unlike anything else I've read), Eddison's 'trilogy' of Zimamvia is written in a more accessible style.  Mistress of Mistresses has some really good feudal bickering (an Edwardian Game of Thrones if you will!).  But overall, unless you can get on with the archaic style it's hard--I still found quite a lot of it a slog, but there are some moments of haunting genius in there that are worth the perseverance.  A bit like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, actually!

I've slogged through too many 'highly regarded' books by now that I don't see the point any more.  I'm just going to read things that work for me, no matter what others' say--unless I'm absolutely sure it's worth it, I'm not going to push through things I put down and don't want to pick up again (there's a difference between 'want to read' and 'want to have read'!). 

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »

I've slogged through too many 'highly regarded' books by now that I don't see the point any more.  I'm just going to read things that work for me, no matter what others' say--unless I'm absolutely sure it's worth it, I'm not going to push through things I put down and don't want to pick up again (there's a difference between 'want to read' and 'want to have read'!).

Yes, this.  I'd like to spend the precious few hours I have available reading books that I can't put down, not books that other people couldn't put down.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 12:54:34 AM »

I've been trying to adopt this attitude myself. I get that a lot of people love authors like Erikson and Bakker, but they just don't do it for me. I'm not a fan of the Grimdark movement in fantasy. I'll read it occasionally, but I'd rather read stuff I actually enjoy.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2015, 03:29:35 AM »
Same feeling here, really. Unless the synopsis really pricks my interest, I don't force myself past the first few chapters if the style or premise isn't up to my taste. I've got dozens of books on my to-read list so no time for the struggles.

The last book I hence gave up on was The Exorcist. I started snickering around the "table the the color of sadness", and then the first actual chapter was just too heavy handed.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
Same feeling here, really. Unless the synopsis really pricks my interest, I don't force myself past the first few chapters if the style or premise isn't up to my taste. I've got dozens of books on my to-read list so no time for the struggles.

The last book I hence gave up on was The Exorcist. I started snickering around the "table the the color of sadness", and then the first actual chapter was just too heavy handed.
I read Exorcist at about thirteen. When I finished reading it, I was in a cabin in the woods, alone. It scared the crap out of me so badly I ran a mile through the dark to where my family were all hanging out at a friend's house.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2015, 11:43:50 AM »
I've shelved Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun for the moment, finding it a real slog for some reason. Do intend on going back to it at some point though.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »
I've shelved Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun for the moment, finding it a real slog for some reason. Do intend on going back to it at some point though.

God, I shelved it like 3 separate times. Difficult to stay interested and to care about the story. Finally finished it, not impressed at all.
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2015, 11:25:45 PM »

I read Exorcist at about thirteen. When I finished reading it, I was in a cabin in the woods, alone. It scared the crap out of me so badly I ran a mile through the dark to where my family were all hanging out at a friend's house.
Never done that with a book. It has happened with films, though. Found it very hard to get to sleep the night after I first saw Silence of the Lambs.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ben

« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »
I finally finished Elantris. It took me a month to read it when normally I can get through a book in 4-7 days.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
I finally finished Elantris. It took me a month to read it when normally I can get through a book in 4-7 days.
If I had read Elantris first, I would probably not have picked up any of his other books. Don't understand how it's so highly rated.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2015, 04:59:48 AM »
Hmm...I really liked Elantris, and it was the first Sanderson I read. I agree that it's probably his weakest, but that still places it well above most everything else I've read.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2015, 05:39:26 AM »
Hmm...I really liked Elantris, and it was the first Sanderson I read. I agree that it's probably his weakest, but that still places it well above most everything else I've read.
To be honest I probably liked Elantris more than the first volume of Mistborn.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
To be honest I probably liked Elantris more than the first volume of Mistborn.
Interesting. I thought the plot was pretty cliché, the characters the worst mary sue and marty stu I've come across in a published work, and the setting not all that interesting... Plus the dialogue and prose in general were fairly uninspiring  ???

Mistborn had a handful of characters who were more rounded, a much more interesting plot and setting, and marginally better dialogue in my opinion :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »
So, for someone who has only read Warbreaker and the Mistborn series, and quite enjoyed both, which other Sandersons would you recommend?
There are a ton of them, after all...
(I have the feeling I'm going to get conflicting opinions, but I don't mind)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2015, 08:13:41 AM »
TBH I would be careful with reading too much Sanderson. They do get a bit formulaic. I agree with those who had Elantris down as his weakest (on a tie with Alloy of Law.) At his worst his novels can be very vanilla. Some of his short stories and novellas though are exceptional.  I really enjoyed the one in the recent Rogues Anthology (suprisingly dark for Brandonbot) and Legion. Way of Kings was his best for me, but I did worry reading Words of Radiance if he was spreading the story a bit thin.
The Real Powers That Be