July 10, 2020, 07:24:05 AM

Author Topic: Highly Regarded Books that You Have Struggled Through  (Read 43788 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: Highly Regarded Books that You Have Struggled Through
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »
The Thomas Covenant books were a hard drag, because although I wanted to know what happened, Thomas was such a self absorbed misery. I can take an evil or unlikable protagonist, but he was pathetic and it ruined the trilogy as a whole.  I tried Donaldson again with Mordant's Need but that seemed weird beyond my comprehension and gave up on book and author.

I am struggling with the Kingkiller Chronicles because they are so long and detailed. I liked Name of the Wind but it has taken me ages to finish and am reluctant to start Wise Man's Fear. I get easily distracted with lighter fantasy or short stories and know once I start WMF it will need to be a concentrated read.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline FogAlchemist

« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
It has been quite a while since I posted here. Anyway, I thought I'd jump in on this topic. There's been many books I've struggled through and I thought I'd share.

The Night Angel Trilogy: Okay, so I love Brent Weeks' writing style, but I am having a hard time getting through his debut trilogy. Got the omnibus and read through the first one like there was no tomorrow, but it was a bit too rapey. Granted the world he created made it at least understandable as to why the first book felt that way, and then I started the second one and oh my gosh it's slow. I really like his characters in this series (in some cases more than in Lightborn, which I adore), but man am I ever still stuck on that one.

Dune: I think there's a great book inside of Dune, I've just ended up shelving it a couple times because I was more interested in delving into ASoIaF at the time. I'm planning to delve into this one. There's a lot to like from what I've read, but I've just not had the motivation to currently.

The Erevis Cale Trilogy: A DnD book? Yep, I'm including this one. I really liked Paul S. Kemp's Star Wars novels, so I was really eager to read his darker Forgotten Realms stuff. Another one that I picked up the omnibus for and I was done by the end of the first of three books.

Falconfar Saga: I adored the concept of this one, a lot, but the execution was severely lacklustre. I've thought of going back to see if I could get to the end of the trilogy, but the motivation kind of flees when I try.

Eye of the World: Like many others here, I find the first book of Jordan's Wheel of Time to be a slog to get through. There's some really cool stuff in it, but it also meanders a lot. I stand by my statement that 300 pages in, I reached the equivalent to the crossing over to Bree from The Fellowship of the Ring. 300 pages. That's a lot. I do like some of the characters though, mainly Nynaeve and Lan.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
The Night Angel Trilogy: Okay, so I love Brent Weeks' writing style, but I am having a hard time getting through his debut trilogy. Got the omnibus and read through the first one like there was no tomorrow, but it was a bit too rapey. Granted the world he created made it at least understandable as to why the first book felt that way, and then I started the second one and oh my gosh it's slow. I really like his characters in this series (in some cases more than in Lightborn, which I adore), but man am I ever still stuck on that one.
I feel like you got Light Bringer and Mistborn mixed up there for a sec. Heh.
Anyways, I agree for the most part. I love the Night Angel Trilogy to death, but Light Bringer is way better on so many levels. Sure, it doesn't have as much action, but the plot makes up for it.
I promise you though, if you push through until roughly the second half of Shadow's Edge, it's worth it. Beyond The Shadows doesn't drag, so you'll definitely be alright there.

Offline pencilneckgeek

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2015, 03:39:59 AM »
I could not get into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--got about 100 pages in and had to put it down. All my fantasy-loving librarian friends swore by it but I just couldn't do it.

I also had a hard time reading the Wheel of Time--just couldn't hold my interest. But, strangely enough, listening to them on audiobook really sparked my interest and I tore through the whole series. Must have been the readers.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:51 AM »
I could not get into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--got about 100 pages in and had to put it down. All my fantasy-loving librarian friends swore by it but I just couldn't do it.

I also had a hard time reading the Wheel of Time--just couldn't hold my interest. But, strangely enough, listening to them on audiobook really sparked my interest and I tore through the whole series. Must have been the readers.

I read JS and Mr N, truly liked the story which was so unusual, and quite a new track for fantasy, but agree it is very hard going. It has been deliberately written in the style of the period it is set in, early to mid 19th century,  and is dense with detail and long passages of thoughts and description, such as you might get in English classics. Hope you give it another try sometime, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up as a film one day, which could be either brilliant or ghastly ;) 
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »

I read JS and Mr N, truly liked the story which was so unusual, and quite a new track for fantasy, but agree it is very hard going. It has been deliberately written in the style of the period it is set in, early to mid 19th century,  and is dense with detail and long passages of thoughts and description, such as you might get in English classics. Hope you give it another try sometime, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up as a film one day, which could be either brilliant or ghastly ;)
I had to read it twice before I appreciated it. The footnotes are a story in themselves.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up as a film one day, which could be either brilliant or ghastly ;)
I'm pretty sure they made a TV series, that will start soon (I think I've added to my NeverMiss) - let me check.

Here you go: http://www.bbcamerica.com/jonathan-strange-and-mr-norrell/

Personally, I read it all, but also can't get the big fuss - I suppose exactly because of what you said:
It has been deliberately written in the style of the period it is set in, early to mid 19th century,  and is dense with detail and long passages of thoughts and description, such as you might get in English classics.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »

I believe there's a tv series coming out soon
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2015, 08:19:11 AM »
Thanks for the link ScarletBea, I followed up from there and Eclipse, you're right, it is coming out on BBC One soon and hopefully we will get it here after a while. BBC usually do things well and the casting and images look good.

Offline Bridgeburner_Ash

« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
I have to agree with a few of you here about the Wheel of Time, I think I got to about book 5 and just couldn't psuh myself to read any further. Maybe one day I will pick the books off my shelf, dust them off and try again but for now there they will stay
Huge fan of Fantasy and other Fiction Genres, mostly down to my mother who got me involved in Fantasy from an early age
I also have a Bearded Dragon called Draco, 3 Leopard Geckos called Mojo, Ziva & Fiddler and last but not least is my very cheeky Quaker Parrot Loki

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell just seems to be one of those books. I adore it, but it took me three attempts to read the whole thing.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
That reminds me of A Canticle for Leibowitz. It took me five or six attempts to get past the first couple of chapters, but now it's one of my favourite books.  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell just seems to be one of those books. I adore it, but it took me three attempts to read the whole thing.

Loved that book. I read it in one go, but I was well aware of what a drag it sometimes was. I think i got lucky, some other time I could have struggled, it just came up at a good time in my reading life.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »

Loved that book. I read it in one go, but I was well aware of what a drag it sometimes was. I think i got lucky, some other time I could have struggled, it just came up at a good time in my reading life.

Funnily enough, getting the kindle version solved it for me in the end - I think humping around the giant hardback was beyond my endurance ;)
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »

Funnily enough, getting the kindle version solved it for me in the end - I think humping around the giant hardback was beyond my endurance ;)
For me it was getting the recorded version from the library, then finishing in the actual book when I could get enough done on the commute.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com