July 13, 2020, 09:12:04 PM

Author Topic: Highly Regarded Books that You Have Struggled Through  (Read 43870 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Highly Regarded Books that You Have Struggled Through
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »
With the exception of The Emperor's Soul, I've actually found Sanderson's novellas and short stories are my least favorite of his works. That's not to say they're bad. I just really like them instead of absolutely loving them. My favorite is also his longest: Words of Radiance.

Not replying specifically to you, but this post highlighted something important for me: I don't care much for 'short books' (<200-300 pages). I've realised that if I read a book in a couple of days (and not the intensive reading of a lot of hours in the day), I just don't connect with the characters, don't care, they go in and out of my brain very quickly, without the chance to touch the emotional chords...

Of course then what I do also has some downsides: I finish a huge trilogy, 1500-2000 pages later, and I look around the world and it's hard to integrate again, hehe
(for example, it happened with the Liveship Traders, and with the Lightbringer's first 3)

But thanks for all the ideas you've put in me about Sanderson.
Yeah I generally get the same feeling, but I've recently found that reading a short story or novella eases the transition back into the real world, and make it easier to get into the next series much faster.  ;) It's definitely unusual to get a connection to the characters in a shorter work though, but that's just a natural limitation to the length.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline onceWICKED

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »
With the exception of The Emperor's Soul, I've actually found Sanderson's novellas and short stories are my least favorite of his works. That's not to say they're bad. I just really like them instead of absolutely loving them. My favorite is also his longest: Words of Radiance.

Not replying specifically to you, but this post highlighted something important for me: I don't care much for 'short books' (<200-300 pages). I've realised that if I read a book in a couple of days (and not the intensive reading of a lot of hours in the day), I just don't connect with the characters, don't care, they go in and out of my brain very quickly, without the chance to touch the emotional chords...

Of course then what I do also has some downsides: I finish a huge trilogy, 1500-2000 pages later, and I look around the world and it's hard to integrate again, hehe
(for example, it happened with the Liveship Traders, and with the Lightbringer's first 3)

But thanks for all the ideas you've put in me about Sanderson.
Yeah I generally get the same feeling, but I've recently found that reading a short story or novella eases the transition back into the real world, and make it easier to get into the next series much faster.  ;) It's definitely unusual to get a connection to the characters in a shorter work though, but that's just a natural limitation to the length.  :-\
You got that right.
After reading the Stormlight Archives, I tried reading Mistborn and I had a really hard time imaginong Scardial with all the Ashes and a red sky not to mention the yellow plants.
But after I read Legion (also by Brandon) it was a diffrent story entirley.

Offline Yora

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »
I read 80 pages or so of Gardens of the Moon. Since nothing happened by that point and even people who read the whole series didn't really know what it was about, I just stopped it there.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »
I read 80 pages or so of Gardens of the Moon. Since nothing happened by that point and even people who read the whole series didn't really know what it was about, I just stopped it there.
Hmm. I'm 200+ pages and at least a little bit has happened.  ;)
It doesn't bother me as long as I have a sense things are going to get there and that I'm getting lots of pure info dump.
I'm enjoying GOTT so far.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Not sure if you wanted to write GOTM or GOAT.  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »
Not sure if you wanted to write GOTM or GOAT.  ;D
I now need to write a story called "Gardens of the Goat"
 ;D

So far, I need to write a story for @Lady Ty about humans having to get permission from fairies for a construction project; a story about all the bad smells in the "best/worst smell" thread, and now "Gardens of the Goat".
We need to start talking about our TBW pile in addition to our TBR.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:16:35 PM by Jmacyk »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
Make it "Garden of a Goat", which then would be abbreviated to GOAT.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Yes! Done.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
These are books that were recommended to me when I was a good bit younger, and I enjoyed them the first time I read them, but on returning, I couldn't see past every single cliche: The Belgariad (and its sequel series, the Mallorean) and Terry Brooks's Shannara series.

Offline Yora

« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2015, 11:05:07 PM »
Yes! Done.
Wait, that doesn't make any sense. I've already been up to long. But what would work would be "Tears of a Toad" Which doesn't have any resemblance with the original title anymore.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2015, 11:34:08 PM »
Yes! Done.
Wait, that doesn't make any sense. I've already been up to long. But what would work would be "Tears of a Toad" Which doesn't have any resemblance with the original title anymore.
Lol Tears of a Toad would be TOAT, I think you mean Gardens of a Toad  :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2015, 11:46:12 PM »
Yes! Done.
The problem is if you let an actual goat loose in a garden, it would immediately proceed to eat everything in sight. I now have an image of a protective garden gnome chasing a goat around a garden, trying to save its beloved garden, in my head.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2015, 02:33:35 AM »
Yes! Done.
The problem is if you let an actual goat loose in a garden, it would immediately proceed to eat everything in sight. I now have an image of a protective garden gnome chasing a goat around a garden, trying to save its beloved garden, in my head.
Goats of Anoch Tilgally

Total b.s., but that would work.  ;)
Love the gnome.  :D

p.s., just started the story  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:21:55 AM by Jmacyk »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
Yes! Done.
Goats of Anoch Tilgally

Total b.s., but that would work.  ;)
Love the gnome.  :D

p.s., just started the story  :)
We have at long last found a practical use for a garden gnome. There's one in my backyard. He stands under the lemon tree. He wears a Richmond jumper. I call him Jack.

Offline Druss

« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
WOT All of it. I'm totally 'meh' about the whole thing.