November 13, 2019, 03:15:36 AM

Author Topic: Hi and please recommend :)  (Read 2970 times)

Hi and please recommend :)
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:42 AM »
Hi guys. Thought I'd finally sign up as I'm a long time lurker!! I've been reading fantasy for around 12 months and have fallen in love with it! I'm also here to get some ideas for my next read, hoping you guys might recommend based on what I have read and liked thus far, if there is a thread for this I apologise.

Books I've read and liked are the first law trilogy, mistborn trilogy, the kingkiller chronicles and have almost finished magician by Raymond e feist. I'd really like to read a finished trilogy. I have bloodsong by Anthony ryan ready to go but am going to wait for the third book to release to start. Of the books I've read I probably liked mistborn and the kingkiller chronicles the most, the magic system in mistborn is great and really well thought out, kkc I like as I don't really know what will happen next and a lot of things are left unexplained and I like the suspense of not knowing where it is headed. I have tried gardens of the moon when I first started reading and it was just hard for me to get into, I also got halfway through the lies of locke lamora and I just couldn't continue for some reason it just didn't hold me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Offline Vagabond

Re: Hi and please recommend :)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:45:01 AM »
Hello Kvothe and welcome to Fantasy Faction. I will recommend the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Assassin's apprentice, royal assasin and assassin's quest is an excellent trilogy.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
Hey, thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

Offline Ben

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:21:47 AM »
The Night Angel series by Brent Weeks might be right up your alley and it is a trilogy that has been completed.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
I enjoyed Mark Lawrence's, Broken Empire trilogy, which begins with Prince of thorns.  It's a tad grim, and the main character is ruthless.  But, pretty darned interesting.

Another series with a very clear and interesting magic structure is The Legend of Eli Monpress, by Rachel Aaron, starting with Spirit Thief.  You can read the first few chapters on her website.  I'd actually recommend this over Price of Thorns if you like magic systems and are still relatively new to fantasy.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
You could go back a little further and try Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, a big epic fantasy trilogy, and it is complete. That's the stumbling block in the request; complete, so little these days is complete. I'd also second The Legend of Eli Monpress, that's a huge amount of fun, and it finished in 5 books, but they're not door stopper length. Dave Duncan's A Man of His Word series (4 books) is also really good, with one of the most interesting magic systems I can remember encountering. He did do a sequel quartet (A Handful of Men) set on the same world, but you really don't need to read it after finishing A Man of His Word if you're not so minded. A Man of His Word is self contained.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:46:25 AM »
Loved Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.  Though I didn't like the ending where the entire world blows up.  Oh, wait, no it doesn't.  :D. But I actually didn't like some things about the ending.

Or go way back to the Riddlemaster of Hed, or the Deryni Chronicles. 
A little more recent, I liked almost all of the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix.

So many choices!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 05:15:39 AM »
Have you tried Alloy of Law yet?   It's Mistborn set about 300 years after the first trilogy.   The book was initially intended as a standalone but he's turning it into another trilogy with the next book probably coming out next year.

It goes against your completed set "rule" but I would recommend Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series.   Three books are out and only one more is expected/planned at this time.   It definitely has a unique magic system and might be my favorite current unfinished series.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
You may want to take a look at the Patrick Rothfuss must read SFF works thread. That's got about 40 really good ideas as well as omissions that people are picking up on.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jaeulk

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
Hi Kvothe

Others will probably agree that Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle series is a great read (first book is 'the painted man') and another interesting magic system although not finished yet it is an astonishingly good read. I also recommend Brent Week's Night Angel trilogy as this brought me right back into the fantasy genre after an extended period of absence.

I also really like Kate Elliott's crossroad series - it doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea but it does take a lot of disparate elements into a pretty epic story.

Enjoy your reading!